Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Confused with earning Elite levels

Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Please forgive me as I'm trying hard to understand and am not a super seasoned traveler...

As of December, I will have stayed 60 nights so will bump from current Silver status to Gold. It's my understanding from reading the threads that my status will stay at Gold only until things reset sometime in February 2017, correct? I then think that 10 of those 60 nights will "rollover" to go towards my 2017 total, correct?

I'm also wondering what happens with any stays I complete during January and February, before the reset for 2017 happens. If I stay 15 nights in Jan/Feb, 2017, will I get bumped to Platinum for "2016", (for maybe only a day!), and then when reset happens, get demoted to Gold? Or, will Jan/Feb nights get counted into 2017, and I'll go from Gold to Silver.

I hope that makes sense. Thank you for your responses in advance!
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
You will reach Gold once you've stayed 50 nights, and that will last for the rest of 2016 and all of 2017, so don't worry about the 2017 reset; it's irrelevant in your case if you're reaching gold for the first time. Your additional 10 nights will roll over and therefore you will start 2017 with 10 nights. The 15 nights you stay in Jan/Feb 2017 will be added to that for a total of 25 nights (elite qualification is based on a calendar year, but status updates based on your activity through 12/31 take a month or two to reset). From there, one of two things will happen: 1) If you do nothing else after that, the Gold you earn in 2016 will then reset in early 2018; or 2) You can maintain Gold by staying an additional 25 nights during 2017. Hope that helps.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, Marriott Bonfire Titanium, Hilton Gold, United Premier Silver, Hertz PC
As of December, I will have stayed 60 nights so will bump from current Silver status to Gold. It's my understanding from reading the threads that my status will stay at Gold only until things reset sometime in February 2017, correct? I then think that 10 of those 60 nights will "rollover" to go towards my 2017 total, correct?
No. The program grants you the status for the remainder of this year, all of next year, and the following year until Feb.

In your case, you will be gold in December 2016 once you hit 50 nights. You will keep gold for all of 2017, and remain gold until Feb 2018 unless you requalify in 2017. (this is so that Marriott has ~2 months to post late 2017 December stays, and fix any missing night credits, etc.)

EQNs are counted through a calendar year (Jan-Dec) and reset on Dec 31st. If you have 60 nights by Dec 31st 2016, you will start 2017 with the 10 rollover nights.

I'm also wondering what happens with any stays I complete during January and February, before the reset for 2017 happens. If I stay 15 nights in Jan/Feb, 2017, will I get bumped to Platinum for "2016", (for maybe only a day!), and then when reset happens, get demoted to Gold? Or, will Jan/Feb nights get counted into 2017, and I'll go from Gold to Silver.
The reset occurs at the end of the year, not in Feb. if you stay 15 nights by Feb 2017, you will have 25 status nights (10 from 2016 rollover + 15) which will reset at the end of 2017. If you want platinum, you should consider getting the Marriott Credit Card that gives you 15 EQN and ensure they post by the end of 2016, staying more, or holding a couple of meetings woth 10 EQN each (see the platinum status for $800 with no stay thread), again all by end of 2016. Then you will have plat until Feb 2018, at least Gold until Feb 2019, and at least Silver until Feb 2020.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Very very helpful! Thank you both! I was just reading about the credit card and will highly consider it!
Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:55 pm

Plus if you get close to 75 you might get plat so try to squeeze in a few more stays if you can... or do the conference room "rental" deal. I assume you already got the credit card for the 15 elite night credits.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Looks like I'm applying for a card! Now just to figure if I should apply for the business one that apparently offers "Earn Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status when you spend $50,000 on purchases each account year." or the personal one which doesn't appear to have that perk of auto gold status.

Doesn't that mean that if I spend $50k/year every year, I will always have gold status and then to get to Marriott Platinum each year, I only need to work on getting 25+ nights a year? edited to add: nevermind, I found this won't work!

Last edited by cotomom; Jul 22, 2016 at 5:28 pm Reason: answered my own question
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Of course then my mind is working OT trying to figure how to piggyback a Marriott Platinum status with an already existing United Mileage plus cc and figure out what it would take to get that automatic partnership perk of Mileage Plus Silver status up to Gold...
Old Jul 23, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by cotomom
Looks like I'm applying for a card! Now just to figure if I should apply for the business one that apparently offers "Earn Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status when you spend $50,000 on purchases each account year." or the personal one which doesn't appear to have that perk of auto gold status.
A few thoughts:

1) If you normally charge $50k+ a year then you might considering getting the business card for the gold status incentive. Definitely don't stretch to hit that spending target; gold status isn't worth that much!

2) In the same vein, if you really are charging $50k+/year (and it's not mostly MR stays) then you'll almost certainly get better value from any of several other cards that offer points and/or cashback rewards.

3) Also, you can get both cards.

Of course then my mind is working OT trying to figure how to piggyback a Marriott Platinum status with an already existing United Mileage plus cc and figure out what it would take to get that automatic partnership perk of Mileage Plus Silver status up to Gold...
It doesn't work like that. You get UA Premier Silver but no head start toward earning gold.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 3:09 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum

Doesn't that mean that if I spend $50k/year every year, I will always have gold status and then to get to Marriott Platinum each year, I only need to work on getting 25+ nights a year? edited to add: nevermind, I found this won't work!
If you spend $50k you get Gold status with the biz card. You also get 15 eqn from the card. You don't get 50eqn, you are just granted gold status so you need to stay another 60 nights to get Plat. If the biz card grants one eqn per $3000 spent like the personal card does then that will help as well since your $50k spend will give you 16 more eqn.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
If you want to go through the spend route the Ritz card is a better option for you - for $10K a year you'll get Gold status (and for $75K, Platinum). After all the airline credits are given back the net cost of the card is $95 which worth it for the Gold status alone, even if you don't use the upgrade certificates.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

I thought I read that if you have both Business as well as personal, that you would only get a total of 15 EQN/sign up and only 15 per year. Am I mistaken or is this a maybe - maybe not situation?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:57 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
15 nights is the max you will get even if you have multiple Marriott branded CCs. I think I remember one post from someone stating they received more than 15 nights. Given receiving more than 15 night would be a mistake and given that I only remember one person stating that happened to them, I wouldn't get my hopes up that you'll get more than 15 nights.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much - You all have helped me out a great deal! I will consider the Ritz card, however I really wish it was a bonus of points versus 2 night certificate. Hopefully the offer would change to point bonus at some time!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.