Dates:
Award stay:
Room type booked:
Room type received:
Elite Level:
Plat Arrival Gift:
Other Gift of Benefit:
Comments:

If you were made aware of an upgrade in advance, such as through e-mail or a preassigned upgrade in your reservation, put it in the comments.
Print Wikipost

Questions about getting upgraded

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold

I've done enough "normal" MR points/free night redemption for rooms to understand how that works. However, I'm not really all that clear on how you use more points for "better" "upgraded" rooms. If others can help me understand, I'd very much appreciate it. Here's an example:

For BVI Scrub Island, if I want a 5-night normal reward redemption, it is 180k points. That I understand.

One of the "points upgrade" offers is as follows:

-Marriott Rewards Redemption with Points Upgrade, deposit required for
Scrub Island Ocean View Suite
2 Bedroom Suite, Bedroom 1: 1 King, Bedroom 2: 1 King, Sofa bed, Bathrooms: 2.5, Ocean view
for "380,000 points - eCertificate plus 40 upgrade certificate required per night"

I'd like to potentially get the 2bedroom suite because it has an occupancy of 6 and would fit our entire family (3 kids). I understand 380k points, but I don't understand "plus 40 upgrade certificate required per night". Is it right that that room is essentially just 380k MR points and that's all I need? Or is it 380k MR points PLUS something else? i.e., what is "40 upgrade certificates"?

They also offer a points + cash upgrade option for 180k points plus $840/night (which seems crazy!). That makes sense to me, but if someone can help me understand the points upgrade situation, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

40 divided by 5 is 8. They are requiring 8 upgrade certs per night. Upgrade certs are 5000 points each.

So 8 x 5000x 5 nights = 200,000 points for the upgrade plus 45,000 x 4 so 180,000 points for the base room. So 380,000 points for the booking.

Last edited by VickiSoCal; Apr 27, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:28 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I read it as 380,000 - MR points through an e certificate plus 40 upgrade certificates at 5,000 points which as Vicki pointed out = 200,000 points for a total redemption of 580,000 points.

Regards,

RIP...
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a category 9 hotel. So 5 night award is 4 nights at 45 per night so base room is 180k for 5 nights. Upgrade certs are 5k x 40 = 200k.

Verified by doing mock booking on website. 380k total for 5 nights in the suite mentioned.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
Thanks very much. Makes sense. Just good to know that the points (380k in this example) are all that's needed and I don't have some extra stuff to deal with. (i.e., that the poster that said it required 580k points is incorrect and that it's the base 180k Cat9 5night points plus 200k points).

Actually, this begs a different but related question. I guess it sounds like an "upgrade" certificate is 5k points. Outside of this scenario where I'm booking with points upgrades, I've never encountered the ability to use points for upgrades "on the spot" as you might in some cases with flights. Is that even a possibility at hotels? Can you at check in say that you're willing to give them points if I can get an upgrade? Is it possible to have "confirmed points upgrades" (other than when at initial booking like in the original example) by calling a hotel or something? Just wondering if that's something that people do at all or that certain hotels allow.

Again, thanks for clarifying my original question.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only certain hotels allow it and it is always via 5K upgrade certs. MVC's charge one upgrade cert per bedroom- so a cat 7 is 35K + 5K for a one bedroom, 35K + 10K for a two bedrooms, etc.

Resorts will often charge one upgrade cert for ocean view, 2 for ocean front.

It is entirely up to the property.

Upgrade offers on arrival have always been cash IME.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
8 certs per night is extremely harsh IMO. Usually it one per bedroom at least at the vacation clubs I've used them at!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ocean view, 2 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, living room with sofa bed.

Think of it this way- 2 standard, no view rooms, costs 180,000 x 2 = 360,000 points.

For just 20K more you are getting a lot more than 2 standard view rooms!
Old Sep 19, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SW RR+ Companion, Avis President's Club

I've been platinum for around 5 years now, and I almost never request a complimentary upgrade when I business travel.

What are the best practices for requesting and successfully getting complimentary upgrades?

I've called a week in advance before to request a complimentary upgrade, and they say to call closer.

I've tried to do an early check-in, and they said if I wait they can give me an upgrade (without me requesting). In fact I've had more complimentary upgrades when I DIDN'T ask for it, than when I did.

What can I do to maximize my chances? Is there a time range before the stay which is optimal to request these things? Is calling the best way to do it?
Old Sep 19, 2015, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I get very good results just asking when I check in (typically but not always around noon).
Old Sep 19, 2015, 8:45 pm

From the Marriott Platinum Elite Benefits page (http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...ts/platinum.mi):

"Room Upgrade: For Platinum Elite members the best way is up! Based on room availability at check-in and limited to a Member's personal guestroom, we’ll do our best to upgrade your room."

Asking a hotel to upgrade you prior to check-in is essentially asking for special treatment that is not part of the Marriott Rewards program. While some hotels might comply, others will follow the rules verbatim.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 9:24 pm
Suspended

I've been an annual patron at an asian property since it opened and ever since my second stay, now 5-6 years ago, whenever I make a reservstion even 11-months out noticed that I've been already upgraded to a suite (without asking).

At limited props loyalty has its rewards and then some

Originally Posted by Raybdbomb
I've been platinum for around 5 years now, and I almost never request a complimentary upgrade when I business travel.

What are the best practices for requesting and successfully getting complimentary upgrades?

I've called a week in advance before to request a complimentary upgrade, and they say to call closer.

I've tried to do an early check-in, and they said if I wait they can give me an upgrade (without me requesting). In fact I've had more complimentary upgrades when I DIDN'T ask for it, than when I did.

What can I do to maximize my chances? Is there a time range before the stay which is optimal to request these things? Is calling the best way to do it?
Old Sep 21, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Raybdbomb

The best practice is to politely ask at check-in. Calling ahead of time is fruitless as any upgrades are entirely space-dependent and that's determined on the spot when you check in. From my experience, it's helpful to be proactive with this as the front desk will rarely hand over a complimentary upgrade on their own. All you have to say is "are there any complimentary upgrades available today?" At properties with upgraded rooms, I've been successful at getting an upgrade about 75% of the time.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: None - previously UA
If upgrades are that important to you you may want to look at Hyatt's program. They offer suite upgrades that can be confirmed at booking. My experience is that Platinum members are upgraded at Marriott about 2% - 3% of the time.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:41 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...m-upgrade.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-question.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...an-anyway.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.