Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)

Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)

Old Dec 2, 2016, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Herb687
Again: don't ask. Tell. And stay until 4pm anyway.
... and hope you don't have to leave the room for any reason, as your key will most likely stop working at checkout time.

Yes, being more assertive may be needed, but some people do not listen and they don't want to go against what they have been told to do by their management. Escalate with MR and hope they will step in to educate.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
* JW Cusco, Peru. Asked for a 3 PM late check out at check in, they said the best they could do was 2 PM and that I could ask again on the day of check out. I asked about the platinum guarantee of a 4 PM late check out and they claimed it was "subject to availability"--those words were even on a letter they give to all plats who check in to the hotel. I didn't push it too much as my flight out of CUZ was at 3:30 PM anyway.

* Fairfield Inn Greenville-Spartanburg Airport, South Carolina, USA. Asked for 3 PM late checkout, and got a 3 PM late checkout without question. There were a lot of other good things about that hotel too.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 7:36 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Charlotte Marriott City Centre on multiple stays.

Always told it is based on availability (but no trouble "receiving" it).

Always still receive knocks from housekeeping (shortly after noon) or calls from the front desk (at 2PM) asking if I still need the room
Old Dec 5, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
[duplicate post]

Last edited by Herb687; Dec 5, 2016 at 4:21 pm Reason: duplicate
Old Dec 5, 2016, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by RogerD408
... and hope you don't have to leave the room for any reason, as your key will most likely stop working at checkout time.
At which time a new key can be made quite easily.

I've had plenty of times when a hotel room key stopped working anyway despite having late checkout approved in advance.

Yes, being more assertive may be needed...
Definitely.

Escalate with MR and hope they will step in to educate.
I will do that after the fact. MR can do its educating after I have left the hotel at 4pm! They don't need to retrain their staff on my time.

If I need to stay in my room until 4pm (or some other late checkout time after normal checkout and before 1600), chances are I don't have time to argue with FD clerks or MR phone people that morning.

Tell. Don't ask. You can sort it out and educate hotel staff later.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:50 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
At which time a new key can be made quite easily.

I've had plenty of times when a hotel room key stopped working anyway despite having late checkout approved in advance.

Definitely.

I will do that after the fact. MR can do its educating after I have left the hotel at 4pm! They don't need to retrain their staff on my time.

If I need to stay in my room until 4pm (or some other late checkout time after normal checkout and before 1600), chances are I don't have time to argue with FD clerks or MR phone people that morning.

Tell. Don't ask. You can sort it out and educate hotel staff later.
I think RogerD's post was in reply to one implying that you haven't necessarily been "approved" for 4PM. Yes, "telling" not "asking" should help but there could still be properties that say no. Technically the guest would be in the right (unless it's a resort or convention hotel), but at best you're probably going to waste a bunch of time arguing about it if you leave the room and come back to find they've removed your stuff.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by GoPhils
I think RogerD's post was in reply to one implying that you haven't necessarily been "approved" for 4PM. Yes, "telling" not "asking" should help but there could still be properties that say no. Technically the guest would be in the right (unless it's a resort or convention hotel), but at best you're probably going to waste a bunch of time arguing about it if you leave the room and come back to find they've removed your stuff.
I agree you shouldn't have to fight to get the stated benefits, but when both parties don't agree on what those are, discussions can get heated. Plus, different jurisdictions have different laws regarding hotel guests "over staying" their reservation. Some can remove you and your items while others can't touch a thing. I can understand some properties being very strict about getting you out and hoping you don't know the local laws.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
* JW Cusco, Peru. Asked for a 3 PM late check out at check in, they said the best they could do was 2 PM and that I could ask again on the day of check out. I asked about the platinum guarantee of a 4 PM late check out and they claimed it was "subject to availability"--those words were even on a letter they give to all plats who check in to the hotel. I didn't push it too much as my flight out of CUZ was at 3:30 PM anyway.

* Fairfield Inn Greenville-Spartanburg Airport, South Carolina, USA. Asked for 3 PM late checkout, and got a 3 PM late checkout without question. There were a lot of other good things about that hotel too.
I hope you saved the letter and forwarded it to Marriott.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...if you leave the room and come back to find they've removed your stuff.
Has anyone ever reported this happening in the United States at a hotel affiliated with a major chain?

I would think the far more likely outcome would be the hotel merely charging a late checkout fee or charging for another full night.

And I am confident that if a hotel charged me that fee on a late checkout that was within elite policy, it would not end well for that hotel. I would get the charge reversed. And I would also get bonus points thrown my away as an apology.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Has anyone ever reported this happening in the United States at a hotel affiliated with a major chain?

I would think the far more likely outcome would be the hotel merely charging a late checkout fee or charging for another full night.

And I am confident that if a hotel charged me that fee on a late checkout that was within elite policy, it would not end well for that hotel. I would get the charge reversed. And I would also get bonus points thrown my away as an apology.
A few examples on the FT SPG forum (OP was at an SPG property but some of the other replies were not):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...oved-room.html
Old Dec 10, 2016, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A few examples on the FT SPG forum (OP was at an SPG property but some of the other replies were not):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...oved-room.html
Interesting. As near as I can tell from a quick read, the OP of that thread wasn't even involved in a late checkout situation. Seems it happened between nights 1 and 2 of a 2-night stay? Truly bizarre incompetence on the part of that hotel. Regardless, the hotel in question was in Europe. And another hotel mentioned on that thread is in Singapore.

If people on this thread want to think that there's any significant risk of US Starriott properties unilaterally evacuating the belongings of elites who stay until 4pm, have at it. Be meek and let the hotel's non-compliance with the late check out benefit slide. I, on the other hand, will be the guy staying comfortably in my room until 1600!
Old Dec 10, 2016, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. As near as I can tell from a quick read, the OP of that thread wasn't even involved in a late checkout situation. Seems it happened between nights 1 and 2 of a 2-night stay? Truly bizarre incompetence on the part of that hotel. Regardless, the hotel in question was in Europe. And another hotel mentioned on that thread is in Singapore.

If people on this thread want to think that there's any significant risk of US Starriott properties unilaterally evacuating the belongings of elites who stay until 4pm, have at it. Be meek and let the hotel's non-compliance with the late check out benefit slide. I, on the other hand, will be the guy staying comfortably in my room until 1600!
Of course that is your prerogative, as it is their's to attempt to evict you. Different jurisdictions have different laws and heaven only know if MR/SPG will support you or the hotel. Keys might expire and getting back in could be problematic. 99% of the time you will probably be fine as long as you stay in the room. Knowing the possible issues will help you evaluate your risk tolerance and the choice you make.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 10:26 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by hawaiiansports
JW Marriott Hong Kong 400PM, no problem.
Just the info I was looking for. Thx.

FWIW, I selected 4:00 PM late check-out in the Marriott iPhone app when I checked in, but noticed it was for the check-in date as opposed to the check-out date. Par for the course for Marriott IT I suppose. I'll confirm with the hotel upon arrival.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
JW Marriott Marquis Miami: informed them I planned to take advantage of the 4pm guaranteed platinum check out benefit and they said as a "convention hotel" they were excluded from the policy but extended a 2pm checkout regardless. Asked them to store luggage so we could use 19th floor rooftop pool and amenities (bowling alley, virtual golf course, billiards room, ping pong, foosball, etc) but all were closed for a private event! Unbelievable given the $10 daily "amenities fee"....why pay for what you can't use?
Old Dec 17, 2016, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by am13
JW Marriott Marquis Miami: informed them I planned to take advantage of the 4pm guaranteed platinum check out benefit and they said as a "convention hotel" they were excluded from the policy but extended a 2pm checkout regardless. Asked them to store luggage so we could use 19th floor rooftop pool and amenities (bowling alley, virtual golf course, billiards room, ping pong, foosball, etc) but all were closed for a private event! Unbelievable given the $10 daily "amenities fee"....why pay for what you can't use?
Gee, that's funny, they are not listed on the Marriott site http://deals.marriott.com/convention...ch-all-hotels/ as being in their convention & resort network for Florida. Some properties feel like just because they have a meeting room they are a convention center. As for the closed amenities, I'd include that in the complaint to MR to see if they will step up and assist.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.