Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Elite member booking room for spouse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2016, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond

Hi,

Sorry total noob here when it comes to hotel reward programs. But can my wife (who is a Marriott Gold) book hotel rooms (with credit card, not points) for me when she will not be present? And if so, will she still collect the points from the room normally and will her elite status apply to me?

Thanks
Old May 9, 2016, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Hi,

Sorry total noob here when it comes to hotel reward programs. But can my wife (who is a Marriott Gold) book hotel rooms (with credit card, not points) for me when she will not be present? And if so, will she still collect the points from the room normally and will her elite status apply to me?

Thanks
Membership benefits are for the member, not everyone they know. Properties have been known to mess up and things happen, but she is not entitled to credit for the stay, nor are you entitled to her benefits.
Old May 9, 2016, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Is this true even if I am registered as a "2nd guest" and authorized to check in and out?
Old May 9, 2016, 9:18 pm

Practically, if she books the room with her account and calls to add you as a 2nd guest, you will enjoy her elite status benefit (e.g., room upgrade and free breakfast) and points will be credited to her account. I have done this many time without any issues.

Note that I read some reports that, in some rare circumstances (such as some hotels in Japan), the front desk might ask the account owner to present him/herself before checkout, otherwise the rate will be changed to the "standard rate" (whatever that means) and points/stay credit will be forfeited.

Also, officially, it is as RogerD408 mentioned.
Old May 9, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Depends

My experience is it depends on hotel - many times booked spouse with my points and Platinum privledges enjoyed without me being there
Old May 9, 2016, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by godsquare
Practically, if she books the room with her account and calls to add you as a 2nd guest, you will enjoy her elite status benefit (e.g., room upgrade and free breakfast) and points will be credited to her account. I have done this many time without any issues.

Note that I read some reports that, in some rare circumstances (such as some hotels in Japan), the front desk might ask the account owner to present him/herself before checkout, otherwise the rate will be changed to the "standard rate" (whatever that means) and points/stay credit will be forfeited.

Also, officially, it is as RogerD408 mentioned.
Thanks..this is what I am trying to do. All USA hotels
Old May 9, 2016, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lani1
My experience is it depends on hotel - many times booked spouse with my points and Platinum privledges enjoyed without me being there
The hotels I would be at would be Courtyards/Springhill Suites/Residence Inns etc if that makes a difference..
Old May 9, 2016, 9:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle, Copaair Presidential, and Southwest A-List
Speaking from experience, your wife will get the points. Now, whether or not you can enjoy her benefits is another thing.

She can always book room under her name and add you as an authorized guest to check in with your own ID and credit card.
Old May 9, 2016, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
Hi,

Thanks
I do this all the time for my GF (now fiance). And we currently have different last names.

Ive also booked rooms for her Parents, and her aunt and uncle this way.

You just book the room, then call the property and say your coming later and to add (insert name here) to the reservation. Also let them know you will be arriving later and to allow (insert name here) to check into the room before you get there. They might ask for a birth date to verify their identity or some ..... They are given all the privileges of the MR member who booked the room.

I've booked rooms 3000 miles away from where I actually am this way.

Ive also had two concurrent bookings in different cities on the same nights doing this with no problems.
Old May 10, 2016, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The hotels I would be at would be Courtyards/Springhill Suites/Residence Inns etc if that makes a difference..
Excuse me, but what elite benefits would a Gold expect in these brands? No lounges, either no free breakfast (CY) or free breakfast for all, no real upgrades and no late checkouts as they're not really Marriott elite published benefits that the properties must honor.
Old May 10, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, Marriott Bonfire Titanium, Hilton Gold, United Premier Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Excuse me, but what elite benefits would a Gold expect in these brands? No lounges, either no free breakfast (CY) or free breakfast for all, no real upgrades and no late checkouts as they're not really Marriott elite published benefits that the properties must honor.
Premium-tier internet I've been at some RIs where they give a small arrival gift to golds and in addition to the plat one for plats (bottle of water and chips, or similar)
Old May 10, 2016, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomBrady
I do this all the time for my GF (now fiance). And we currently have different last names.

Ive also booked rooms for her Parents, and her aunt and uncle this way.

You just book the room, then call the property and say your coming later and to add (insert name here) to the reservation. Also let them know you will be arriving later and to allow (insert name here) to check into the room before you get there. They might ask for a birth date to verify their identity or some ..... They are given all the privileges of the MR member who booked the room.

I've booked rooms 3000 miles away from where I actually am this way.

Ive also had two concurrent bookings in different cities on the same nights doing this with no problems.
So you straight up lie and then post about it on the internet?
Old May 10, 2016, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Like I said...I am a noob when it comes to Marriott program. All this is great info. It sounds like its pretty divided here..half of the people say its fine to book for your spouse and collect points...the other half frowns upon it.

I brought this up because 2 weeks ago my wife was staying at a Hilton Garden Inn In for work...she asked the hotel if she could add my HHonors number to the reservation to collect the points. (I am Silver with Hilton and was not present). Hilton told her that was no problem and I got the points. So I was wondering if this works for Marriott..
Old May 10, 2016, 11:06 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
So you straight up lie and then post about it on the internet?
I'm with VickiSoCal on this but at the end of the day, it's a matter of personal ethics.

Originally Posted by TomBrady
Now this is just straight-up wrong. It is also something that could get your account locked and put under review. Past performance may not be indicative of future acceptance.
Old May 11, 2016, 12:01 am

It sounds like its pretty divided here..half of the people say its fine to book for your spouse and collect points...the other half frowns upon it.
What FlyerTalk members say about doing this isn't as important as what Marriott says. Points and elite-level benefits are for the person staying at the hotel. If caught attempting to defraud Marriott, you may lose all accumulated points.

For specific information on what is allowed, read the Marriott Rewards Terms & Conditions: http://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/default.mi

I brought this up because 2 weeks ago my wife was staying at a Hilton Garden Inn In for work...she asked the hotel if she could add my HHonors number to the reservation to collect the points. (I am Silver with Hilton and was not present). Hilton told her that was no problem and I got the points. So I was wondering if this works for Marriott..
I'm assuming that the phrase "Hilton told her" refers to someone at that hotel. But, that is not how the HHonors program operates. Like Marriott, to earn Hilton HHonors points, you must be present. Perhaps that hotel doesn't care, but many do.

Plain and simple, this is fraud.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.