Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

MR rolling out "guaranteed" 4 pm checkout time for elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter

Per VFTW here, Marriott will begin offering guaranteed 4p checkout for Gold and Platinum members starting 5/16. Excludes resorts, convention, and timeshare properties.

Also adding an offering that appears on its face to be similar to SPG Moments, and apparently testing out an Ambassador service.

MR link here

Last edited by CLEguy; Apr 19, 2016 at 6:40 am Reason: Added MR link
Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CLEguy
Per VFTW here, Marriott will begin offering guaranteed 4p checkout for Gold and Platinum members starting 5/16. Excludes resorts, convention, and timeshare properties.

Also adding an offering that appears on its face to be similar to SPG Moments, and apparently testing out an Ambassador service.
This will also be great for Hilton HHonors' Diamonds at least. [I do mean H I L T O N.]

Thank you Marriott.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:37 am

As a Hyatt person, I was shocked that this wasn't a benefit on Marriott before. ^^^ a welcome change.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It says on the MR page that the 4 pm checkout will have to be requested no later than check-in to be guaranteed. Is that the way it currently works at the other programs that have it?
Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:17 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
It says on the MR page that the 4 pm checkout will have to be requested no later than check-in to be guaranteed. Is that the way it currently works at the other programs that have it?
When I was Hyatt Diamond I was always been asked at check-in, although I'm sure it would have been granted no matter when I asked for it.

From the hotel operations logistic perspective it makes a lot of sense to ask at check-in. And in reality, most people likely know they want/need it at check-in.

Time will tell how it is actually going to be implemented.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:30 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
And time will tell how "guaranteed" this benefit is in practice. A much higher portion of Hyatt and Starwood's properties are full service, whereas the largest part of Marriott's portfolio (by number of properties) consists of select service, and the latter often have limited housekeeping staff/hours.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Hyatt did have something about requesting this at check-in, but I've never had that check-in thing be the reason I've had any failure wth benefit practice.

Originally Posted by dw
And time will tell how "guaranteed" this benefit is in practice. A much higher portion of Hyatt and Starwood's properties are full service, whereas the largest part of Marriott's portfolio (by number of properties) consists of select service, and the latter often have limited housekeeping staff/hours.
I've had less pushback about 4pm Checkout benefit use at Hyatt Place and Four Point hotels than I've had over this kind of benefit at the full service Hyatt and Starwood hotels.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott LTPP, Avis +
Finally. I hope it's not as rare as upgrade to suites.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This will have to be seen if it is actually followed. I'm sure smaller properties like CYs or FFIs etc that don't have housekeeping there late aren't going to let you check out at 4pm.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
The devil is in the details! While the Guaranteed Late Check-Out benefit is something that has been missing from the MR program for a long time, the language of the benefit itself may still leave many elites bartering for a late check-out, only now it will occur at check-in instead of the morning of departure.

From the MR page link above:
Guaranteed Late Check-Out

Gold and Platinum Elite members may request late checkout, which could be (bolding added) as late as 4 pm...
Per SPG terms, the guaranteed 4pm late check-out benefit is as follows, "Gold and Platinum members may check out as late as 4 p.m. This benefit is guaranteed at all hotels, except at resort, conference center, and convention hotels, where it is based upon availability."

Marriott's new benefit once again excludes Resorts and Convention Hotels. (What is a convention hotel anyway? Does it have to have the word, "Convention," in the name or just be close to a convention center?) The old benefit, Priority Late Checkout, only excluded Marriott Vacation Clubs, "based on availability, call the front desk the morning of checkout and let them know your planned departure time. Available at all Marriott brand hotels except Marriott Vacation Club."

Unfortunately the MR Elite Terms and Conditions have not been updated to reflect the new benefits. IMHO for MR Golds and Plats, it sounds like the guaranteed late check-out time is still left up to the hotel and will not be available at any property that considers themselves a resort or convention hotel! I guess we will know for sure when it is actually implemented after May 16!

Regards,

RIP
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
When I was Hyatt Diamond I was always been asked at check-in, although I'm sure it would have been granted no matter when I asked for it.

From the hotel operations logistic perspective it makes a lot of sense to ask at check-in. And in reality, most people likely know they want/need it at check-in.

At Starwood, it has varied...even at otherwise mundane Sheratons and Westins that couldn't with a straight face claim they were a "resort" or convention hotel. Some proactively just tell you at check-in: you have 4PM checkout, thanks for being Gold/Plat. Others do nothing, and you have to grovel a bit for it, speak to the manager, etc.

Late checkout at hotels and getting decent rental car customer service are the only 2 places in all of my travels where I sometimes feel like I literally have to ask DYKWIA?!?
Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by edcho
As a Hyatt person, I was shocked that this wasn't a benefit on Marriott before. ^^^ a welcome change.
FYI: There has been a late checkout benefit for plats/golds all along. The difference now is that, apparently, it is "guaranteed" and could be as late as 4:00 p.m. There have been numerous complaints in threads here about the unavailability of the non-guaranteed benefit.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by OU812
The devil is in the details! While the Guaranteed Late Check-Out benefit is something that has been missing from the MR program for a long time, the language of the benefit itself may still leave many elites bartering for a late check-out, only now it will occur at check-in instead of the morning of departure.

From the MR page link above:
Guaranteed Late Check-Out

Gold and Platinum Elite members may request late checkout, which could be (bolding added) as late as 4 pm...
[/I]
...IMHO for MR Golds and Plats, it sounds like the guaranteed late check-out time is still left up to the hotel and will not be available at any property that considers themselves a resort or convention hotel! I guess we will know for sure when it is actually implemented after May 16!
I think the language is ambiguous as to whether the "as late as 4:00 pm" option is up to the property or requesting member. Maybe intentionally so.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by anotheran2
Finally. I hope it's not as rare as upgrade to suites.
Upgrades to suites are not guaranteed.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:27 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by OU812
That's actually quite interesting. If the language instead read:

"Gold and Platinum Elite members may request late checkout, which CAN be as late as 4 pm"

I would feel more confident that the 4 pm time is guaranteed. The "could" wording makes it seem like late checkout is guaranteed, but the actual time is up to the property's discretion.

So perhaps people will be enjoying guaranteed late-check out times of 12:30 pm at CYs and FFIs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.