Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Residence Inn - 2 bedroom suite, issue booking with points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Residence Inn - 2 bedroom suite, issue booking with points

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2016, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Question Residence Inn - 2 bedroom suite, issue booking with points

I'm noticing an issue with trying to reserve the two bedroom suites at Marriott Residence Inn locations. Specifically in and around the Cleveland OH area.
I don't believe it's an issue with availability as I've tested many dates, some 4-5 months out.
I'm only given the option of redeeming points for the 1 bedroom suite, not the 2 bedroom. I've been redeeming the 2 bedroom without any issue for the last couple of years. Has anyone else had this problem? I called the property directly and they said there's been no change that they are aware of. The Marriott rewards "customer service" desk was no help at all - they said the room type must not be available. I've tried other locations around Cleveland and still no luck for any dates requested.
I really don't want to reserve the one bedroom and request an upgrade, as the one bedroom is really not an option for us, can't take that chance.
Anyone else having this problem??
Thank you in advance -
Old Apr 10, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold (1st choice) BW Diamond (2nd)
The room type is probably not available to book with points because the number of rooms allocated for points are gone or they aren't considered a standard room. I have been able to get upgraded by paying. I called the hotel to ask if I booked a studio suite on points if they would be able to upgrade me to a 2b suite if I payed for it, they said yes. So I booked it and called them again and was upgraded at $50 a night.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A two-bedroom suite is certainly not a standard room at a RI.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by jm1991
The room type is probably not available to book with points because the number of rooms allocated for points are gone or they aren't considered a standard room. I have been able to get upgraded by paying. I called the hotel to ask if I booked a studio suite on points if they would be able to upgrade me to a 2b suite if I payed for it, they said yes. So I booked it and called them again and was upgraded at $50 a night.
Thank you! That's a great idea - I will give that a try!
Old Apr 10, 2016, 7:40 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
My experience has been that you can only book a studio or 1 bedroom on points. However, as a Gold, I've had occasional success is getting upgraded to the 2 bedroom.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold (1st choice) BW Diamond (2nd)
Originally Posted by LPCJr
My experience has been that you can only book a studio or 1 bedroom on points. However, as a Gold, I've had occasional success is getting upgraded to the 2 bedroom.
Yes unfortunately that's based on availability during check in. If you really need a guaranteed 2b suite, it's best to pay for the upgrade and have it secured instead of tossing a coin at check in.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
As a quick update, this upgrade has to be done by the property, not through the Marriott rewards line. The Manager at the property has the ability to do this, subject to availability of the requested room type. I had to go back and forth between the property and Marriott Rewards a couple of times before finally getting done by the Manager of the property.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Seems like a few years back I'd occasionally run into a RI that made the 2-bedroom suites bookable with points + upgrade (extra 5,000 pts or $50 per night). I seem to recall doing one in California, entirely with points.

In all my Gold/Plat years, staying in a lot of RI's with family, I've never gotten the 2-bedroom upgrade complimentary. The hotels simply don't have many of them, so my guess is they're usually booked by the time you get to the property. Definitely confirm in advance, however you need to do it.

Also seems like some newer RI's don't have the 2-bedroom units at all, which is kind of frustrating.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 5:56 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by pinniped
Also seems like some newer RI's don't have the 2-bedroom units at all, which is kind of frustrating.
I hadn't noticed that. It's a shame since the RI are essentially the only 2 bedroom suites out there. Your best option other than a RI is an airbnb type of reservation.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:41 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Originally Posted by legionnaire
As a quick update, this upgrade has to be done by the property, not through the Marriott rewards line. The Manager at the property has the ability to do this, subject to availability of the requested room type. I had to go back and forth between the property and Marriott Rewards a couple of times before finally getting done by the Manager of the property.
I spoke too soon. Still waiting for the Property Manager to get back to me os I can get this locked in and not take a chance on arrival. Its been frustrating, to say the least.

<vent>
If I can get the property manager on the line,I might just end up doing a three-way conference call with the Rewards line and the manager. You would think they should be able to sort this out betwen the property and the rewards line and not require the customer to do it on their behalf.
</vent>
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:04 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
In all my Gold/Plat years, staying in a lot of RI's with family, I've never gotten the 2-bedroom upgrade complimentary.
I've had a number over the years, but haven't tried in a few years. Though I've very rarely got one without having to ask.

Originally Posted by lougord99
I hadn't noticed that. It's a shame since the RI are essentially the only 2 bedroom suites out there. Your best option other than a RI is an airbnb type of reservation.
TPSes also have 2 bedroom suites.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Marriott*Plutonium Lifetime, other stuff
Originally Posted by lougord99
Staybridge Suites also have 2 bedroom units.

TM
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:15 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Travellin_man
Staybridge Suites also have 2 bedroom units.
While they might, they aren't a part of Marriott. Hilton has Homework Suites as well, but no Marriott points there either.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 6:43 am
Original Member

Seems like a few years back I'd occasionally run into a RI that made the 2-bedroom suites bookable with points + upgrade (extra 5,000 pts or $50 per night). I seem to recall doing one in California, entirely with points.

In all my Gold/Plat years, staying in a lot of RI's with family, I've never gotten the 2-bedroom upgrade complimentary. The hotels simply don't have many of them, so my guess is they're usually booked by the time you get to the property. Definitely confirm in advance, however you need to do it.

I stayed at two different RIs in April with a one-bedroom booked & wound up staying in 2-bedroom units at both as a Gold Marriott Rewards member. One was a paid stay & the other was on points..So apparently they like to upgrade Rewards members to the 2-br units when they have them leftover in inventory. I had no use for the second bedroom; too bad they didn't give them to someone who actually had the need for a second bedroom..
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:38 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hhoope01
While they might, they aren't a part of Marriott. Hilton has Homework Suites as well, but no Marriott points there either.
I've also run into Homewoods that don't have any 2-bedroom suites at all.

TownePlace Suites sometimes have them.

Last edited by pinniped; Apr 28, 2016 at 8:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.