Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Residence Inn - 2 bedroom suite, issue booking with points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Residence Inn - 2 bedroom suite, issue booking with points

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by pinniped

In all my Gold/Plat years, I've never gotten the 2-bedroom upgrade complimentary. The hotels simply don't have many of them, so my guess is they're usually booked by the time you get to the property. Definitely confirm in advance, however you need to do it.
I've only had it happen once & it was under specific circumstances. My sister had breast cancer, needed an outpatient procedure at the hospital next door to the RI but we were going to stay overnight for her to also get checked the next day & then drive the 3 hours back to her home. I called the property & explained the circumstances & asked to get a 2-bedroom so that she could rest more. They agreed, but I think it was because it was a single night stay in addition to the cancer situation. Found out upon arrival that that particular property was usually booked full because so many cruise ship passengers stayed there.

I believe hhoope01 has had success in getting complimentary upgrades to 2-bedroom suites.

Cheers.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I (LTP) get them about 80% of the time I ask (when there is a need / 2nd guest) by placing a comment on the res then asking at check in.

Once got a 2BR for 5 nights on an award stay near Red Rocks!

Just got a PH in an old school RI last week, love them. Also was "given" a 2BR upgrade in Marlboro RI then they proceeded to pull a few 5,000 upgrade certs from my MR account so they definitely have the ability to do so if they wish.

Once, a property was very glad to cancel one of the 2 res I had to give me a single 2BR and it took a 1/2 hour to find someone that knew how in the system but they persisted.

Have been turned down a few times due to occupancy

Hands down my favorite Marriott brand for simple travel (when luxury is not an issue.) Just a universal, we aim to please attitude.

Last edited by joshua362; May 1, 2016 at 8:57 am
Old Apr 30, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Saga continues.

THe property manager is well meaning and would like to get me into the two-bedroom suite. But, looks like what I'm asking for (booking a stay on points and paying cash to upgrade into a two-bed suite) is a corner case for the reservation system in use. Setup a conference call between the property manager/Marriott Reservations/Customer service - only for them to realilze tht the property doesn't use the 'Marsha' system but something called 'Fosse'. Waiting for the property manager to work with the Fosse help line so they can force the upgrade into the booking and take my money for the upgrade.

I've learnt a bit more about how Marriott/Rewards/Reservations/Property franchises work in this exercise, but am no closer to getting what I want. Even when I am willing to pay!

I guess that's what you get when you want to do something off the beaten path.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold (1st choice) BW Diamond (2nd)
I had success once again booking a 3 night stay with certificates and points and calling the property to guarantee a 2 bedroom suite at an additional $50 a night. It's going to be EDC weekend in vegas and will take no chances waiting until check in. I called very late so it must have been the night auditor so I'm sure anyone could make the changes, not just a supervisor or manager.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Failed

The manager asserts they worked with the Fosse system help and couldn't find a way to force an upgrade. So, I'm left to take my chances at check-in.

Having gone round to Marriott Rewards, Marriott Customer Service and the property manager, looks like all doors are shut. Even if I am willing to pay, there seems no way to guarantee an upgrade before arrival.

Any thoughts, let me know via PM.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I've got a 7-night rez at the RI Wailea, Maui for July. The only room bookable with MR was a Studio (2 queens + sofabed in LR). As MR Gold, I am hoping to get upgraded to the 1-bedroom suite b/c we'll have the kids with us. Chances? I'd love to get a 2-bedroom upgrade and would happily pay 5k more or $50 to secure that. When I called the property, the only option the FD agent could figure was to pay the difference, but that's $220 per night. If that's what it has to be, that's fine, but we can't afford it so would just stick with what we have.

Any suggestions from others with experience? FWIW, here's the pricing for our dates:
Studio suite is $439
1-bedroom suite is $489
2-bedroom suite is $659

How risky is it to wait until checkin for the 1-bedroom upgrade? And further, if I were to secure the upgrade to 1-bedroom suite now by paying that upcharge ($50/night), what are the chances I'd get upgraded to 2-bedroom suite gratis?
Old Jan 30, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
IDK but my guess is given the location, length of stay, timing and daily rates, I'd say low.

For whatever reason, in years of burning points at RI's, even when they gladly upgrade you at the desk, the FD's struggle trying to get the system to accept & process, so maybe that's the issue you ran into.

I'd keep trying, maybe leaving a message for Management, and try to buy your way in in advance with cash or the 5k nightly point upgrades.

And if this RI is like the others, the suite and 1BR are pretty much the same size except for the 1BR is walled off. (But the 2BR's are sweet...)
Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by joshua362
IDK but my guess is given the location, length of stay, timing and daily rates, I'd say low.

For whatever reason, in years of burning points at RI's, even when they gladly upgrade you at the desk, the FD's struggle trying to get the system to accept & process, so maybe that's the issue you ran into.

I'd keep trying, maybe leaving a message for Management, and try to buy your way in in advance with cash or the 5k nightly point upgrades.

And if this RI is like the others, the suite and 1BR are pretty much the same size except for the 1BR is walled off. (But the 2BR's are sweet...)
Yeah, I saw the floorplan for the walled off 1 bedroom vs the studio. I want the wall. Because kids. Because sanity.

I'll call and talk to manager about upgrading with points. If that doesn't work, I'm thinking that if they don't upgrade at check in, then I could pay the $50 for the 1 bedroom on the spot. And maybe they'd be sympathetic and give us the 2-bedroom. Or a better rate will be available for the difference.

I got the impression that the upgrade to 1-bedroom vs studio was likely. So now I'm wondering if a paid 1-bedroom upgrade could better lead to the 2-bedroom. I'll call and float the upgrade idea generally. Hopefully they'll do it for points.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Jan 30, 2017 at 6:30 pm
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Comp upgrades to the 2-bdrm have been really rare for me over the years, including both Plat and Gold years. We're a family of 4 who book a couple RI's each year, usually paid stays, including weekends when the place is pretty empty.

I have had better luck at those old-school RI's with the loft units. Guessing Wailea isn't one of these...
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Comp upgrades to the 2-bdrm have been really rare for me over the years, including both Plat and Gold years. We're a family of 4 who book a couple RI's each year, usually paid stays, including weekends when the place is pretty empty.

I have had better luck at those old-school RI's with the loft units. Guessing Wailea isn't one of these...
Yep. I think I'll call ask the manager about the 1-bedroom upgrade (either comp b/c gold or paid). See what the feeling is with that. Also will ask about a double upgrade (maybe one paid, one comp).

Incidentally, I just replied to one of your posts on another thread re leaving late on the 7th night to minimize wasting that last night on a TP.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
My experience with Cleveland area RIs was that i couldn't get anything larger than a studio on points there. I was told that a lot of them only have one 2 bedroom suite so that's why they were unavailable.

Have you booked 2br at these properties before or just in general?
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I've got a 7-night rez at the RI Wailea, Maui for July. The only room bookable with MR was a Studio (2 queens + sofabed in LR). As MR Gold, I am hoping to get upgraded to the 1-bedroom suite b/c we'll have the kids with us. Chances? I'd love to get a 2-bedroom upgrade and would happily pay 5k more or $50 to secure that. When I called the property, the only option the FD agent could figure was to pay the difference, but that's $220 per night. If that's what it has to be, that's fine, but we can't afford it so would just stick with what we have.

Any suggestions from others with experience? FWIW, here's the pricing for our dates:
Studio suite is $439
1-bedroom suite is $489
2-bedroom suite is $659

How risky is it to wait until checkin for the 1-bedroom upgrade? And further, if I were to secure the upgrade to 1-bedroom suite now by paying that upcharge ($50/night), what are the chances I'd get upgraded to 2-bedroom suite gratis?
given the rates you quoted, they must be somewhat busy at the time you are traveling plus the amount of days you are staying it may be very unlikely unless you agree to pay. I stayed back in october last year for 5 nights and was upgraded to a 2b suite one king, 2 bunk beds in 2nd room.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Yeah, Hawaii doesn't seem to have much of an offseason. I'm sure July brings in a wave of Southern Hemisphere visitors... We were there in June one year and our hotel had very large Japanese tour groups. (Not that they're southern...but it seemed like a popular month for them to go to Hawaii.)

Maybe October is a mini-slow-season? We should plan our next trip out there for Oct-Nov...
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by jm1991
given the rates you quoted, they must be somewhat busy at the time you are traveling plus the amount of days you are staying it may be very unlikely unless you agree to pay. I stayed back in october last year for 5 nights and was upgraded to a 2b suite one king, 2 bunk beds in 2nd room.
Yes, I think the regular lower rate is in the mid $200s. So $440+ is high, for sure. Was your rez an award? And were you upgraded from a studio to 2 bedroom? And are you Gold or higher?
Old Feb 3, 2017, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Yes, I think the regular lower rate is in the mid $200s. So $440+ is high, for sure. Was your rez an award? And were you upgraded from a studio to 2 bedroom? And are you Gold or higher?
yes the rates were somewhat low because they had recently opened. My reservation was a reward for a studio two queen, im (was) a gold. Thought when i arrived at around noon the agent said there was nothing available. I was traveling with my friend whos a girl and told him she would probably feel more comfortable if she had her own room. i was aiming for just a queen in each room. Anyways, the studio was clean and ready for check in but he said if i waited a couple of hours he might be able to get me one. We had no problem waiting since we were starving so we left our luggage in storage and went to eat and look around, then came back around 330 and he said he had the king and bunk beds. that was perfectly fine with us. we also got the corner room facing the pool with a balcony so i was happy. I think i just got lucky or maybe it was the circumstances. I have agreed to pay the fee a couple times in Vegas for the upgrade when i really needed a 2B and they just waive it after my stay, but I didnt risk that chance with the Wailea as we would have been fine with the studio regardless or upgrade or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.