Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Does Marriott have a policy regarding walking guests?

Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott Rewards® Elite Benefits Guarantee

Ultimate Reservation Guarantee:

If for some reason we’re unable to honor your reservation, we’ll pay for your accommodations that night at a nearby hotel and compensate you for the inconvenience. To be eligible, you must provide your Marriott Rewards membership number when making a reservation. Compensation varies by hotel brand.

Brand
Guest compensation***

JW Marriott®, Autograph Collections®, EDITION®, Renaissance® Hotels, Marriott® Hotel and Resorts, Gaylord Hotels, Delta Hotels®
- $200 USD
- 90,000 points

AC Hotels, Courtyard, SpringHill Suites, Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn & Suites, TownePlace Suites, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels
- $100 USD
(Platinum members also receive 90,000 bonus points)

The Ritz-Carlton
Platinum Members received
- $200 USD
- 140,000 points

***Outside of the U.S. compensation will be paid in the local currency
Print Wikipost

Does Marriott have a policy regarding walking guests?

Old Mar 2, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Newbie Marriott member and first FT post looking for advise/clarification from a seasoned pro regarding the walk policy and appropriate compensation for being walked from a Marriott Conference Hotel as a Silver Elite member. Also, is the stated policy guaranteed by Marriott or is it merely a suggestion/recommendation and the individual property offers compensation at their discretion?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 9:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
We got walked once, at a Fairfield in Indianapolis, across the parking lot to the FS Marriott. I never bothered to kvetch since it was free and basically got a double upgrade.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by winstoda
I booked a stay at the Springhill Suites Flamingo Crossing in Orlando this past week. My reservation was changed to the TownePlace in the same complex without any notification - they changed the reservation number and everything. I wasn't pleased as I booked the Springhill expressly for the room layout - the TownePlace didn't suit me as well. Would this qualify as being walked? I'm Gold if that factors in...

I'd avoid Flamingo Crossing by the way - not ready for prime time... we had several issues. But that's for another post.
An update to my situation - Marriott Rewards transferred me to Springhill customer service, who put me in touch with the 'Assistant GM' of the TownePlace Suites Flamingo Crossings. This assistant GM has been a train wreck - doesn't know the MR rules at all. First she insisted that I was actually 'upgraded' to the Towneplace since the rooms there have kitchenettes which the Springhill lacks. She insisted the rooms were also much larger at the TownePlace. When I pointed out the square footage posted on the website states otherwise, she told me the website is incorrect and they can't correct it until the property has been open 90 days (what???). She also insists the reservation guarantee is only applicable to Platinum members. She's literally making it up as she goes along.

She calls me each afternoon with an update after conferring with the GM. The latest is that this situation doesn't qualify for the guarantee because they share a parking lot and are managed by the same company. After hearing this I had enough and insisted on speaking to the GM (for the 3rd time!) to which I was told he isn't working today but he would contact me tomorrow.

I don't know where to go from here. Marriott Rewards just pawns me off to the Springhill CS line. CS sends me back to my pal the assistant GM. Any advice?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by dlukey
New FT member and first time poster looking for advice from a seasoned "Marriott pro" on the walking policy for a MR Silver Elite. Also, is this a formal policy or is it merely a suggestion/recommendation by Marriott International and actual compensation is determined and offered at the discretion of the individual property?
First of all welcome to Flyertalk! Sorry nobody responded to your post sooner. The Marriott Rewards Ultimate Reservation Guarantee is the formal policy and applies to all Marriott Rewards elite members, including Silvers, provided your MR # was included in your reservation. More information can be found here:
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...s/guarantee.mi

Hopefully, you got a resolution in compliance with the URG! If not, you should follow-up with Marriott Rewards Customer Service.

Regards,

RIP...
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
An update to my situation - Marriott Rewards transferred me to Springhill customer service, who put me in touch with the 'Assistant GM' of the TownePlace Suites Flamingo Crossings. This assistant GM has been a train wreck - doesn't know the MR rules at all. First she insisted that I was actually 'upgraded' to the Towneplace since the rooms there have kitchenettes which the Springhill lacks. She insisted the rooms were also much larger at the TownePlace. When I pointed out the square footage posted on the website states otherwise, she told me the website is incorrect and they can't correct it until the property has been open 90 days (what???). She also insists the reservation guarantee is only applicable to Platinum members. She's literally making it up as she goes along.

She calls me each afternoon with an update after conferring with the GM. The latest is that this situation doesn't qualify for the guarantee because they share a parking lot and are managed by the same company. After hearing this I had enough and insisted on speaking to the GM (for the 3rd time!) to which I was told he isn't working today but he would contact me tomorrow.

I don't know where to go from here. Marriott Rewards just pawns me off to the Springhill CS line. CS sends me back to my pal the assistant GM. Any advice?
Although it is appropriate for the property to have the primary responsibility to resolve issues, if you feel they do not know the program or are not dealing with you in an honest fashion, push back on MR to have someone there assist in getting this addressed. You may need to escalate to the executive offices, but generally, Marriott will resolve the issue.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Thank you OU812! I certainly have a lot to learn from all of you. Unfortunately, I have had several frustrating conversations with both Marriott Customer Care and the property and there has not been a resolution. Bottom line, the property will not provide the full compensation stated in the URG and Customer Care apparently cannot force them to. Yes, the MR awards number was attached to the reservation that was made 4 weeks in advance and when I noted that the property was sold out a least a week prior to the date, not 1, but 2 calls were made to the FD to advise them of an anticipated late check-in and also with requests to please hold the room. Clearly the property should have anticipated being oversold that night and a "walk" from an executive suite to a standard Courtyard room 12 miles away after an extremely long travel day might have resulted in one unhappy Marriott member.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by dlukey
Thank you OU812! I certainly have a lot to learn from all of you. Unfortunately, I have had several frustrating conversations with both Marriott Customer Care and the property and there has not been a resolution. Bottom line, the property will not provide the full compensation stated in the URG and Customer Care apparently cannot force them to. Yes, the MR awards number was attached to the reservation that was made 4 weeks in advance and when I noted that the property was sold out a least a week prior to the date, not 1, but 2 calls were made to the FD to advise them of an anticipated late check-in and also with requests to please hold the room. Clearly the property should have anticipated being oversold that night and a "walk" from an executive suite to a standard Courtyard room 12 miles away after an extremely long travel day might have resulted in one unhappy Marriott member.
As stated above, escalate to MR again. Customer Care is not the top of the chain. And if you feel appropriate take it to Marriott's Executive offices.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by RogerD408
And if you feel appropriate take it to Marriott's Executive offices.
At this point that is what I'd do. Obviously the GM & asst GM have no clue what they're doing & customer care has not been able to get it sorted.

BTW - the parking lot line is ridiculous. We've had examples of CY/RIs sharing the same bldg & it's still considered a walk because they're different properties/brands. The walk policy is in writing on Marriott's T&Cs. Perhaps the OP should provide a copy of it to the GM

Cheers.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
BTW - the parking lot line is ridiculous. We've had examples of CY/RIs sharing the same bldg & it's still considered a walk because they're different properties/brands. The walk policy is in writing on Marriott's T&Cs. Perhaps the OP should provide a copy of it to the GM

Cheers.
Completely agree. In my case finally heard from the GM. He's agreed to honor the guarantee but still mentioned in his note that he feels his properties are exempt because it's one complex. So I'd expect others might experience the same argument here in the future.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Completely agree. In my case finally heard from the GM. He's agreed to honor the guarantee but still mentioned in his note that he feels his properties are exempt because it's one complex. So I'd expect others might experience the same argument here in the future.
Do provide this feedback to MR, NOT SHS Customer Care, as well and maybe they will educate him.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 11:29 am

Do provide this feedback to MR, NOT SHS Customer Care, as well and maybe they will educate him.
Agree. Plus if he's feeling generous, he can print the T&Cs, send to & ask the GM to point out where it says a parking lot makes the GM's property exempt (it doesn't).

Cheers.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Agree. Plus if he's feeling generous, he can print the T&Cs, send to & ask the GM to point out where it says a parking lot makes the GM's property exempt (it doesn't).

Cheers.
Not suggested, because it's not stated that it doesn't. In his mind it's one property with two names, so no walk involved (again in his mind). I doubt he has two offices, one for each. And a good chance they use the same phone system. Let MR deal with their training issue.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 11:54 am

Not suggested, because it's not stated that it doesn't. In his mind it's one property with two names, so no walk involved (again in his mind). I doubt he has two offices, one for each. And a good chance they use the same phone system. Let MR deal with their training issue.
I should have put a at the end of my post. I didn't really intend for him to mail the GM the T&Cs. Agree he should let MR deal with it.

Cheers.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
I was just walked from a Marriott executive apartments. Literally walked as I had to walk to the other hotel :/ no mention of compensation at all whatsoever. I'm just a silver these days. Should I write to Marriott? What is expected?
Old Aug 13, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by ryan754
I was just walked from a Marriott executive apartments. Literally walked as I had to walk to the other hotel :/ no mention of compensation at all whatsoever. I'm just a silver these days. Should I write to Marriott? What is expected?
On this page of the Website, Marriott seems to extend the walking policy to Silver, Gold and Plat. It's pretty clear. Your original hotel appears to have not followed this published guaranty. Contact Marriott.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.