Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I got the Presidential Suite

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2016, 2:40 pm

I was pleasantly surprised with a night in the Presidential Suite at The Blackstone in Chicago. The Blackstone is right next door to the Chicago Hilton Towers. This room had a lot of history. Supposedly each US President since the 1920's had stayed in this room. The room even had a fireplace. I think it was on the 10th floor or so, overlooking the Lake Michigan. The lake side of the room had huge windows all along the wall. It was quite a surprise for a $130/night room I was expecting.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 6:40 pm

This week I got an upgrade to a concierge level room. I was pretty stoked as the lounge was on the same floor as my room.

And yes my sarcasm above as a PP I think my biggest upgrade in the past three years has been to a corner room.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Congratulations!! I am glad they are spreading the wealth I am 3 for 3 with suite UG's on short stays at JW's.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 7:21 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UAL Lifetime Gold
Two decades plus with Marriott, PP for 10 plus years in a row ... Not one Presidential Suite !!
Old Feb 28, 2016, 9:26 am
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I got an upgrade to a junior suite at a RC, but it was booked through FHR. One can argue that it seems unfair to give upgrades to FHR and Virtuoso clients but not your own top tier elites.
I'm an Amex guy also. So what you do is you link the reservation you place with Amex to Ritz reservations then you get both of the perks. Also don't let them tell you they cant do it. Because they can. Also the Free night via FHR will not earn Points or Elite night credits.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I got an upgrade to a junior suite at a RC, but it was booked through FHR. One can argue that it seems unfair to give upgrades to FHR and Virtuoso clients but not your own top tier elites.
Veering the thread slightly off topic, how do you rate the FHR perks vs the Virtuoso perks?
Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
I got the Presidential Suite

I have had the Presidential Suite @ Boscolo Budapest twice

Second time was a 3 night stay!

http://budapest.boscolohotels.com/presidential-suite
Old Feb 28, 2016, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Veering the thread slightly off topic, how do you rate the FHR perks vs the Virtuoso perks?
I use FHR rather than Virtuoso because I don't want to get into travel agent service fees, although AmEx is nothing like it used to be for travel agent stuff.

IMO the big advantage of FHR is the *guaranteed* 4 pm checkout. Depending on my schedule, this can be a huge advantage.

For FHR reservations in chain hotels, of course I have the agent put my frequent guest number on the reservation to get my elite benefits too. I've even had FHR agents verify with the hotel, in writing, that I will get such benefits in addition to the FHR benefits.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 4:28 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Slightly?
Old Feb 28, 2016, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I'm getting so tired of the "Starwood upgrades all the time and Marriott never does" falsity. I've gotten plenty of upgrades at Marriott properties all over the globe--suites, cabins, bunaglows, oceanfront, you name it. And I know my experience is a single data point, but I have *never* gotten any kind of upgrade at any SPG property, even when I was a platinum. The worst was many years ago when I had confirmed a suite at the WDW Swan using a paper certificate, but showed up to find I was back in a regular room. The front desk clerk explained that they were able to sell the suite, so it was no longer "available". That was the beginning of the end of my hoping time and again that Starwood would live up to their promises.

So count me among those who hope that, in the merger, we get more of the Marriott program that at least delivers what it promises rather than the "promise the moon but deliver the mud" Starwood approach.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 9:48 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
my experience is a single data point
Counting me, it's at least a double data point.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Presidential Suite upgrades tend to happen if you are staying for only 1 night, in my experience. Had quite a few across the globe, but always on 1 night stays.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Ex. PLT, Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by nobbyclark
Presidential Suite upgrades tend to happen if you are staying for only 1 night, in my experience. Had quite a few across the globe, but always on 1 night stays.
What are you guys saying/asking to get these upgrades? What is your normal rate? Do I have to stay in a $3000 a night room to get it or do I have to patronage the place a lot? I wonder makes them give rooms like that out to people?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by ohmark
Slightly?
Yes, only slightly. The thread's about (generic, not hotel specific) upgrades/perks. MSPeconomist mentioned upgrades/perks with FHR and Virtuoso. I didn't consider asking which program in his opinion, FHR or Virtuoso, gave better perks was that much of a deviation from the thread topic.

And after all, aren't we all trying to get the best upgrades/perks for the amount of money we spend?

Originally Posted by jww947
What are you guys saying/asking to get these upgrades? What is your normal rate? Do I have to stay in a $3000 a night room to get it or do I have to patronage the place a lot? I wonder makes them give rooms like that out to people?
My upgrade experiences have been completely unrelated to the nightly rate I paid for my room.
Westin Chicago River North Presidential Suite on one slow weekend (Februaryish) on points. Friday and Saturday night.
Westfields Marriott Washington Dulles Presidential Suite on a dirt cheap mattress run rate over Christmas week. One night booking.
JW Marriott Las Vegas. Stayed there a couple of nights x two times on government (not expensive) rates. Given a great two bedroom suite both times.
Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina Governor's Suite (it was huge), last minute booking on cash&points, one night checked in at ~8PM.

The best upgrades I've gotten over the years have been one or two night stays so my upgrade experience matches nobbyclark.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:54 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by nobbyclark
Agree. A few weeks ago I got a huge suite at the Chicago Renaissance. Not sure if it was Presidential, but it was amazing!!! Kicker is that I checked in at 10:30 Pm and had to leave the next morning around 8:00 am. Kind of a buzz kill. I was exhausted and didn't even get to really enjoy it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.