Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
SWA Travel Award....2015 or 2016

I need to make a decision by the end of the year and I have spent quite a bit of time searching, but there have been a lot of changes to the airlines, so I thought I would take a chance and post the question in hopes that someone can help me.

I am going to lose my A-List status this year. Unfortunately, I am not traveling for work anymore, so I won't be earning A-List next year.

I could have swore I read a post about someone buying a MR SWA Travel Package, I believe at the beginning of the year, which gave them TWO years of either A-List or Companion Pass. I don't understand how it could be two years though.

Right now, I have only 7,700 points toward A-list (need 35k) and 63k toward Companion Pass (need 110k). I got the upgraded SWA Visa which gave me 50k points toward the CP, which doesn't help me in the least toward A-List.

If I get a SWA Travel Award, will the points only go toward the CP like the 50k did for the Visa?

If I buy the award before the end of the year, I am sure the points will help toward the 63k that I already have for the CP, and that will zero out at the beginning of the year--so I am torn.

I am going to get a category 7 (Marriott Puerto Vallarta), but I don't know how many SWA points to get with award (I have 400k in account). We don't use SWA that much, but for every 10k, I can get a $100 Amazon Gift Card, which are super duper handy (although this may be an awful way to burn SWA points).

Can anyone help guide me on this issue? I seriously don't know what to do. I could call SWA and even MR, but my experience is that this board is WAY more educated with all the little secrets and tips.

And there may be something really big that I am missing that I just don't realize. I feel like a newbie when it comes to Travel Packages.

Thanks....

Dawn
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: Marriott Gold (1st choice) BW Diamond (2nd)
I think if you redeem for a travel package at the very beginning of the year 2016 and qualify for the companion pass, it's valid through out the year and next year so technically 2years.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:01 pm

2 years?

I found the two year rule.

It seems like I should wait until 2016, even though my companion miles will be wiped clean. I won't lose them, they just won't count toward the 110k I need.

I'll just make sure to purchase the 7 nights/110 award. I don't think there is anything I can do to get A-List....

Thanks....

Last edited by kymbakitty; Nov 25, 2015 at 1:13 pm
Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:13 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Buy the Marriott package this year so the 50,000 points will count towards CP. That way you get CP status for 2016. If you wait to 2016 to buy the package you don't get any CP at all.

Select the package that yields 50K points.

You are correct that none of these options affect A list status. But that status doesn't really get you much. If you plan on flying regularly with a travel partner, the CP is extremely valuable. If you don't plan on flying there is no reason to get the CP.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by kymbakitty
I don't think there is anything I can do to get A-List....
WN has 3 types of points: redeemable points, TQPs, and CPQPs. Travel Package redemptions count toward the redeemable points and CPQPs. TQPs are earned ONLY by flying and 1,500 TQPs for each increment of $10k spending on a Premier version of a WN Visa.

Originally Posted by ymx
Buy the Marriott package this year so the 50,000 points will count towards CP. That way you get CP status for 2016. If you wait to 2016 to buy the package you don't get any CP at all.

Select the package that yields 50K points.
Or, wait until January and redeem a package with 120k WN points for instant CP status.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:04 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ymx
I'm not sure I understand this. If she orders the TP award this year (2015), she will get the CP for the rest of this year (all 1 month of it) plus 2016. If she waits until January to order the award she will get the CP for the rest of 2016 plus all of 2017. (Note I am assuming she orders the 120K miles TP award which gets her more than the 110K needed for a CP award.)

I'm not sure I understand what advantage she gets by ordering this year?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:53 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I'm not sure I understand this. If she orders the TP award this year (2015), she will get the CP for the rest of this year (all 1 month of it) plus 2016. If she waits until January to order the award she will get the CP for the rest of 2016 plus all of 2017. (Note I am assuming she orders the 120K miles TP award which gets her more than the 110K needed for a CP award.)

I'm not sure I understand what advantage she gets by ordering this year?
I should have been clearer. There are indeed two options:

1. Qualify in 2015 for 2016 only: OP needs 47K points to reach CP status this year. You can purchase a Marriott Flight and Hotel Package for a min. of 200K Marriott Points, which would net 50K SW Points, putting you 3,000 SW points over the threshold for qualifying for CP in 2016.

2. Qualify in January 2016 for 2016-2017: You can purchase a Marriott Flight and Hotel Package for a min. of 270K Marriott Points, which would net 120K SW Points, putting you 10,000 SW points over the threshold for qualifying for CP in 2016.

By selecting option 2, you are in essence spending 70K additional Marriott points for the second year of CP. Someone else may want to chime in about which is the smarter utilization of points.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by ymx
By selecting option 2, you are in essence spending 70K additional Marriott points for the second year of CP. Someone else may want to chime in about which is the smarter utilization of points.
Thanks for the clarification. I'm a little slow sometimes but I see your point now.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:31 pm

A List

A List is priceless when I'm traveling on business. Not having to check in at all, not to mention, having literally no line ever to check bags (when the regular line is 3 lines deep). But hopefully I'll start traveling again next year and will get A List back pretty quickly.

We don't use SWA for pleasure, except to fly to LAX and back to fly internationally. But we are going to fly to PVR via SWA this year....

Decisions, decisions. Great information...thanks all.

Dawn
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
A List is priceless when I'm traveling on business. Not having to check in at all, not to mention, having literally no line ever to check bags (when the regular line is 3 lines deep). But hopefully I'll start traveling again next year and will get A List back pretty quickly.

We don't use SWA for pleasure, except to fly to LAX and back to fly internationally. But we are going to fly to PVR via SWA this year....

Decisions, decisions. Great information...thanks all.

Dawn
You still need to check in, its your spot in line that held for you.

Plus if you buy BS fares (at roughly $20 more than AT fares) your line spot, check in and TSA flybys are included regardless of status. Usually depends on whose paying the bills and if you can get away with BS. Just another point of view if you don't re-qualify right away...
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:26 am

Don't need to check in....

Originally Posted by joshua362

Plus if you buy BS fares (at roughly $20 more than AT fares) your line spot, check in and TSA flybys are included regardless of status. Usually depends on whose paying the bills and if you can get away with BS. Just another point of view if you don't re-qualify right away...
Nope....don't need to check in until I drop off my baggage. I've been A List for quite a few years and for many of us, this is really the beauty of A List. We are always in the field and the non A Lister's are always scrambling to check in while we just grin. The only time we bother checking in is if we don't have check in luggage and just want our boarding pass sent to our phone.

It is state travel so no BS. Unless it is still available when I check in my luggage, then I can just pay the difference on my own credit card. But by then, it's usually no longer avaluable.

I think that I'll go ahead and buy the package this year and benefit from the 50k points already gifted to me from the Visa. If it was 2 years of A List, I'd do it in a New York second. But we will use the companion pass at least once to PVR in 2016.

Thanks all!

Dawn
Old Nov 28, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by joshua362

Nope....don't need to check in until I drop off my baggage. I've been A List for quite a few years and for many of us, this is really the beauty of A List. We are always in the field and the non A Lister's are always scrambling to check in while we just grin. The only time we bother checking in is if we don't have check in luggage and just want our boarding pass sent to our phone.

Thanks all!

Dawn
Dawn - checking in when you drop off your baggage is still...checking in - I think you're reading too much into the response (or read it too quickly).

If you never, ever check in, then, you don't have a boarding pass (and wouldn't be able to fly). If you wait to check-in until you're at the airport...you're still checking in. The response was not about the timing of checking-in. When you wrote "Not having to check in at all," you're simply incorrect. Do you understand the response now?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Marriott travel package cert upgrade question

I am going to buy a Marriott travel package. And obviously I would like to not overspend on points...

What does it cost to upgrade a certificate from one cat to another?

and can you upgrade from a cat into a tier??

Thanks!
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:00 pm

The "upgrade" cost is the difference between what the TP Cat. level you purchased versus what you want to upgrade to. (So no savings or loss, just pay the difference.)

I have never tried to upgrade a hotel cert from Cat to Tiers, but I don't see why they wouldn't do it (while charging you the difference it cost of course.) It might not hurt to call MR to verify that they will do it though.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Just redeemed a travel package for 7 nights at cat 1-5 plus United Miles.

Marriott Plat rep said that I also receive a Hertz certificate, which would come via email in about a week.

I redeemed a travel package before and don't remember anything about a Hertz certificate. Didn't notice anything on the Marriott web page either.

I did ask, and there was no option to use lesser points to not have a Hertz included...just part of the package.

Anyone know about this?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.