Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

How to handle this booking IT glitch?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,

I am curious how many of you have experienced this IT glitch that I have discovered seems to be fairly common with all sorts of booking systems.
I have just been on the phone with Marriott Reservations for 30 minutes because, at some point between the final page in the booking process to the booking confirmation, the booking system decided it wanted to book me into a room I was looking at (and had booked) a few minutes earlier. Now, unfortunately, it was a room for tonight, so cancellation policy doesn't permit a free cancellation. Fortunately, after a long chat, it was sorted. I am finding this to be a particularly common difficulty when I am booking complicated trips, or am booking holidays and not sure where to go. (Therefore, typing in multiple potential destinations to examine options) Have other people experienced this? The guy at Marriott said he had never seen it before.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
I am curious how many of you have experienced this IT glitch that I have discovered seems to be fairly common with all sorts of booking systems.
I have just been on the phone with Marriott Reservations for 30 minutes because, at some point between the final page in the booking process to the booking confirmation, the booking system decided it wanted to book me into a room I was looking at (and had booked) a few minutes earlier. Now, unfortunately, it was a room for tonight, so cancellation policy doesn't permit a free cancellation. Fortunately, after a long chat, it was sorted. I am finding this to be a particularly common difficulty when I am booking complicated trips, or am booking holidays and not sure where to go. (Therefore, typing in multiple potential destinations to examine options) Have other people experienced this? The guy at Marriott said he had never seen it before.
Yes, I have had this issue with a few websites. My new rule is to read everything closely before clicking the BUY button. Or better yet is to exit the page and go back in fresh making no assumptions as to what I want for this booking is the same as asked for in the previous booking.

I'm sure there is an IT solution to the problem, but I think some of the blame is with the browser (and what version) being used. There are many anomalies that will bite you in the butt when not looking.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
But the weird thing in this instance was that the change was not reflected in that final page. When I clicked the 'confirm' button, everything on the page was correct. (And as somebody who once booked a flight for the wrong date, I now always treble-check these pages.) Really annoying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.