Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Credit for stays when someone else is paying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit for stays when someone else is paying

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2013, 6:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Thanks for the feedback. That actually makes me feel better. I can handle being unlucky now and then better than a more systemic problem.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite; UA MM
Over the years I've stayed many times when my room was direct billed to an organization that paid for guest rooms of conference attendees. I did not receive points or room night credit for direct billing.

I eventually worked out a process by which I asked the hotel to take the room off the master bill and then paid for it myself. I billed the room back to the organization as part of my travel expense and was reimbursed that way. I would guess that some companies and organizations might not be okay with such a process.

While I understand that points might go to whomever pays the bill, I don't understand the part about not getting room night credits. Why should someone who stays 50+ nights not receive gold level benefits no matter who pays the bill?
Old Jul 21, 2013, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HereAndThere
While I understand that points might go to whomever pays the bill, I don't understand the part about not getting room night credits. Why should someone who stays 50+ nights not receive gold level benefits no matter who pays the bill?
I'm pretty sure the system works such that a stay either posts for EQN/points or not, and those cannot be easily split.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Gold level benefits are free i-net, exec lounge access, possible upgrade, 25% bonus points for any spend. Gold level benefits are not night credit on master bill. You'll still get your gold bennies, just not the credit.

Cheers.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite; UA MM
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Gold level benefits are free i-net, exec lounge access, possible upgrade, 25% bonus points for any spend. Gold level benefits are not night credit on master bill. You'll still get your gold bennies, just not the credit.

Cheers.
Sorry I wasn't clear. What I was trying to say was that a guest could stay 50+nights and not reach gold level because nights were not credited.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Sorry I wasn't clear. What I was trying to say was that a guest could stay 50+nights and not reach gold level because nights were not credited.
Have to agree that would suck & probably be worth contacting MRCS to see if there's some work-around.

Cheers.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 5:04 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WrightHI
"If the Member attends a convention or group meeting and individually pays the hotel directly for the room, he/she will be eligible to receive Points and elite night credits for the stay. However, contract rooms, rooms reserved by corporations on an ongoing basis, master-billed rooms are not eligible to earn points or elite night credit."

For the second time in the last year, it's taking me a bunch of phone calls and emails to get MR to follow its own clear terms and conditions on a convention stay. Apparently the properties involved are treating rooms in the convention block as master billed even though they're individually paid by convention attendees. Running into the same issue twice at properties in two different states, both involving large conventions, makes it look like a systemic problem that MR needs to clean up. It isn't exactly loyalty-enhancing to have to jump through hoops to get the program to honor its stated terms and conditions.
Were the rooms been booked through PassKey, an outfit that seems to increasingly been handling convention room block bookings. It looks like a Marriott or whatever brand website but it isn't. It's a third party site. The MR PP line told me when the issue arose that reserving through PassKey at a conference rate would mean no points, no night/stay credit, and no elite benefits. YMMV.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many of my husband's conference stays are booked thru Passkey. If I do not interfere the stays generally post in 2-4 weeks. If I call/email after a week they post them manually.

No one has ever said he shouldn't be getting credit for them.

Conference rate stays are a huge pain, they are the majority of his travel these days. I almost always have to call to get his MR number attached, even if we entered it during the res. process and almost always have to call to get them to post no matter how they were booked. But have never been denied points/stay credit, on any conference stay.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 1:06 am

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
Third Party Bookings

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there's any way to get third party booking references and add them to the my reservations bit. I used ebookers, if that makes any difference. Does the hotel hold the internal confirmation number?

Thanks in advance
Old May 13, 2014, 2:53 pm

third party confirmation number

I booked a Marriott property through orbitz and was wondering if the hotel confirmation number they provided is supposed to work on Marriott's actual site. I think the room I booked was a price mistake, so am wondering if the reservation is actually valid.
Old May 13, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold, rif-raf on most others; MBTA "valued customer"
No. It's a different conf. #. However, if you can cancel the Orbitz rate, I'd suggest making a new res through Marriott and file a LNF claim. If it's a mistake rate, you'll get an additional 25% off.
Old May 13, 2014, 3:31 pm

would that however risk alerting them that it's a price mistake and having them cancel my other reservation? thanks!
Old May 13, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tofuavecfa
would that however risk alerting them that it's a price mistake and having them cancel my other reservation? thanks!
That could be a risk but if there is a lower rate somewhere else (with the same restrictions as the one booked), Marriott will honor it and give you a 25% discount according to their Look No Further (LNF) policies.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:02 am

Book third party vs Direct

This is more of a general question, but should you use a third party's reward program vs a direct one i.e expedia/hotel.com vs Marriott Rewards.

I called Marriott they said if I book through Hotels.com I wont get their points. But hotels.com offers 11th night free after booking 10 hotels, 10% return basically. Which is better?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
If you are a Marriott Rewards member at any level (or you sign up for Marriott Rewards) and you book on Marriott.com, you will get free Internet.

Internet is free anyway at Marriott's limited service brands (such as Fairfield Inn and Courtyard), but there's unusually an extra cost at Marriott's full-service brands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.