Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Recent changes: Cash & Points for real, award stays towards status, and more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recent changes: Cash & Points for real, award stays towards status, and more

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Arrow Recent changes: Cash & Points for real, award stays towards status, and more

View From the Wing blog posts:

Multiple sources who asked not to be identified because they aren’t authorized to speak about the matter are telling me that Marriott Rewards will be rolling out four new features to their program.

Cash and Points awards There will be a fixed redemption chart, the way that Starwood has, that discounts the number of points required for a standard room redemption. In other words they’ll offer ‘real’ cash and points, not what they currently call cash and points (“combining redemption nights and cash nights” in one reservation).

Points sharing with no requirement that points are shared only with immediate family. It will cost $10 for base members and silvers, and will be free for Gold and Platinum members.

Points Advance is something Marriott actually already offers now, but it will become a published benefit. You’ll be able to book awards that you don’t have enough points for, as long as you have the points prior to your stay.

Reward nights will count towards elite status. Elite credit on redemptions that count towards status.

More: http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....o-the-program/
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:40 pm
Suspended

if correct, a LONG time coming -

Originally Posted by swag
View From the Wing blog posts:

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Multiple sources who asked not to be identified because they aren’t authorized to speak about the matter are telling me that Marriott Rewards will be rolling out four new features to their program.

Cash and Points awards There will be a fixed redemption chart, the way that Starwood has, that discounts the number of points required for a standard room redemption. In other words they’ll offer ‘real’ cash and points, not what they currently call cash and points (“combining redemption nights and cash nights” in one reservation).
Old Oct 5, 2015, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Any idea how good the cash and points chart will be? (That is, what value per point in spending cash?)

Also, will there be earnings on the cash portion?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:37 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Looking forward to the last one being implemented.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by nequine
Looking forward to the last one being implemented.
Not sure about that - it's too good to be true. There must be something bad coming as well. I don't believe in enhancements - see my signature
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by nacho
Not sure about that - it's too good to be true. There must be something bad coming as well. I don't believe in enhancements - see my signature
I'm not sure there needs to be a devaluation as well. Usually cash and points are a lower tier of award availability for low season, which also bring in revenue. Typically the cash portion of cash & points is about the prevailing Priceline rate. My fear is that they alter the travel packages which are still great value.

Last edited by escapefromphl; Oct 6, 2015 at 10:24 am
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by nacho
Yes, this for sure. None of these interest me. It will be buried, downplayed and significant. Mark my gloom and doom words...
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swag
Reward nights will count towards elite status. Elite credit on redemptions that count towards status.
Will this include reward nights counting toward lifetime status nights?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
The changes are welcome (if true) albeit about a decade late.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:01 pm
Suspended

since this is currently just a rumor, even if backed by unknown sources, why don't we wait to see what if anything comes to fruition instead of guessing what might or might not be implemented?

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Will this include reward nights counting toward lifetime status nights?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by leeky
since this is currently just a rumor, even if backed by unknown sources, why don't we wait to see what if anything comes to fruition instead of guessing what might or might not be implemented?
^ Very true.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 5:18 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
I'll add another rumor. It wasn't a rumor, but a planted leak to prepare us for the devaluation that accompanies it. The irony is that 2 of the four items mentioned aren't even new. Of course those not in the know, won't know that.

No malice in the above statement is intended, just pragmatic thought.

BTW, regard nights is a moot point for anyone with over 800 nights. Kind of like the elite bonus night they gave me for my birthday. lol

Cash and points, we'll see. After all these are enhancements and most veterans on this forum know how Marriott enhancements work out.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:09 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
As we know, with MR, enhancements and devaluations go hand in hand. I would be surprised if MR offers any new benefits without taking something away.

If the rumor is true, it will be interesting to see how MR rolls out cash and points. Will it be a true benefit, like Starwood where the room rate is fixed? Or will it be 50% of the award points per night and 50% off the nightly rack rate at any given Marriott hotel? Let's not forget MR's IT department has to program it, so it may be a boondoggle from the start!

Regards,

RIP...
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:21 am
Suspended

assuming the 2 supposed existing benefits left unstated (since so few of us are in the know) were the Points Sharing and Points Advance I note that although the Points Sharing has long been known it never had a charge attached, albeit only now for non G/Psif the OPs rumor is correct, and the Points Advance although well known was never a published benefit as indicated in the initial OPs rumor, but that being said, again, why speculate - just wait and see if ANY of this rumor becomes a reality (and then wait for the next shoe to drop!)

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
It wasn't a rumor, but a planted leak to prepare us for the devaluation that accompanies it. The irony is that 2 of the four items mentioned aren't even new. Of course those not in the know, won't know that.

Last edited by leeky; Oct 7, 2015 at 7:42 am
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by sethb
Any idea how good the cash and points chart will be? (That is, what value per point in spending cash?)
My guess: The number of points, multiplied by $0.01, plus the cash amount, will equal the points-only redemption, also multiplied by $0.01. I.e., they're just allowing you to reduce the points needed by buying them at a penny each.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.