Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Recent changes: Cash & Points for real, award stays towards status, and more

Recent changes: Cash & Points for real, award stays towards status, and more

Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Call my cynical, but I'm more interested in what the devaluations are going to be. Marriott has a clear track record of mass-devaluation 'enhancements'.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CPRich
My guess: The number of points, multiplied by $0.01, plus the cash amount, will equal the points-only redemption, also multiplied by $0.01. I.e., they're just allowing you to reduce the points needed by buying them at a penny each.
let's wait and see. If they go the Hilton way then there are some real point and cash possible. Got a Hilton stay upcoming @ $65 + 16k points instead of 40k points or $150. points+cash was a no-brainer.

award nights counting towards status was a long time coming ... catching up w/ competition ... and yes, i am wondering where the devaluation will come.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
How many bog posts have you seen that are just plain false?

That is why I don't read travel blog posts.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lougord99
How many bog posts have you seen that are just plain false?

That is why I don't read travel blog posts.
That's why I miss Inside Flyer magazine and its journalistic approach to travel program news. Since it went away in the past year, I haven't found a replacement in that sense of a source (online or offline) that's journalistic in its approach.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Frankly, this may be too little and too late for me. I'm likely to jump ship. I have both Marriott Gold status and Starwood Gold status. I think I get much more value from SPG points in the Starwood program than from Marriott reward points. Marriott has devalued their program too heavily. I'm a Marriott timeshare owner, and I've been loyal to Marriott for years. But in 2016, I'll probably focus more on SPG stays and earning SPG points than MRPs.

I'm in Peru at the moment. Yes, the JW Cusco is a nice hotel, and I did get complimentary breakfast as a Gold, but my room was so small that my wife and I had a hard time not bumping into each other. (This stay was a points redemption.)

Now I'm at the (Starwood) Tambo del Inka in Urubamba. This is also a points redemption (and the cost was about half the number of points as the JW Cusco). Upgraded at check-in (without even needing to ask) to a lovely and large Junior Suite.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Confirmed now on https://www.rewards-insiders.marriot...exclusive-news, with a promise of details on Monday.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:00 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by CPRich
My guess: The number of points, multiplied by $0.01, plus the cash amount, will equal the points-only redemption, also multiplied by $0.01. I.e., they're just allowing you to reduce the points needed by buying them at a penny each.
That would be a pretty decent.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
Frankly, this may be too little and too late for me. I'm likely to jump ship. I have both Marriott Gold status and Starwood Gold status. I think I get much more value from SPG points in the Starwood program than from Marriott reward points. Marriott has devalued their program too heavily. I'm a Marriott timeshare owner, and I've been loyal to Marriott for years. But in 2016, I'll probably focus more on SPG stays and earning SPG points than MRPs.

I'm in Peru at the moment. Yes, the JW Cusco is a nice hotel, and I did get complimentary breakfast as a Gold, but my room was so small that my wife and I had a hard time not bumping into each other. (This stay was a points redemption.)

Now I'm at the (Starwood) Tambo del Inka in Urubamba. This is also a points redemption (and the cost was about half the number of points as the JW Cusco). Upgraded at check-in (without even needing to ask) to a lovely and large Junior Suite.
Remember that a SPG point is not the same as a MR point. You cannot just compare numbers. Rather, you must calculate the spend needed to earn those points. Ignoring affiliated credit card benefits, at most Marriott family hotels, $1 spend on eligible charges (room rate excluding tax, etc.) means 10 MR points, while at Starwood, $1 in eligible charges translates to 2 points for base members and 3 or more for elites. Welcome amenity bonuses and promos further complicate the comparisons.

If you care about elite benefits, there are also major differences in upgrades, breakfast entitlement, late checkout policies, etc.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:58 pm

I just read the post on Marriott Insiders, and it mentions a cap of 50K points transferred between accounts. Has there always been this cap? I always assumed I'd be able to transfer higher numbers than that in order to purchase a large travel certificate.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by cfischer
award nights counting towards status was a long time coming ... catching up w/ competition ... and yes, i am wondering where the devaluation will come.
That's exactly my thoughts - with the reward nights count towards elite status, Marriott might bring in a new top tier level after Plat, which will solve some problem:

1. ever growing population of lifetime Plats;

2. overcrowding in lounges.

There is no free lunch in this world.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by swag
Confirmed now on https://www.rewards-insiders.marriot...exclusive-news, with a promise of details on Monday.
Brace for impact...
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by joshua362
Brace for impact...
I doubt it, these changes don't actually cost Marriott a lot. The other thing is they don't usually announce devaluations on a Monday, those are usually left for Friday
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I doubt it, these changes don't actually cost Marriott a lot. The other thing is they don't usually announce devaluations on a Monday, those are usually left for Friday
... of a holiday weekend! Hopefully, I am wrong!
Old Oct 9, 2015, 12:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
This is definitely good news, the stays on points is my favorite though having cash and points as an option is good too ^
Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: GS, Marriott Titanium LT, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Great news and I am hoping that the accompanying devaluations are not significant. I do believe Marriott is feeling the competitive pressure from Hilton and IHG.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.