Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

LNF response to exchange rate fluctuations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hello fellow fters

Has anyone got the experience of an LNF claim consistently rejected by saying the foreign properties' lower rate is due to exchange rate fluctuations? Any good responses?

Thank you!!
Old Oct 2, 2015, 12:56 am
Suspended

yes, and the rejection is consistent with their T&Cs

8.Rate comparison will be made net of any taxes, gratuities, or any other fees associated with the room rate, and the Comparison Rate must still be available at the time Marriott validates the claim. Rate disparities primarily attributable to fluctuations and/or differences in currency exchange rates are excluded from the guarantee. Marriott may deny claims where the difference between the comparison rate and the rate on the Marriott reservation channel is less than $1.
https://www.marriott.com/hotel-prices/travel.mi

Originally Posted by kikid
Hello fellow fters

Has anyone got the experience of an LNF claim consistently rejected by saying the foreign properties' lower rate is due to exchange rate fluctuations? Any good responses?

Thank you!!
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
They started using that as an excuse to deny LNFs a couple of months ago.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thank you leeky!

I had the same experience, Nacho. A couple times I was denied due to the claim on ex rate fluctuations..but the difference can be as big as USD5 while both rates were being compared in the prop currency.

I am puzzled as to how to respond/further the case !_!
Old Oct 3, 2015, 4:21 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Marriott / SPG PLAT Premier, USELESS Accor Plus PLAT
I have the same experience the last 6 months. Been rejected each time I sent in the LNF for the last 6 months.

Almost 100% of my stays in MR hotels are LNF the last few years. Since they started to reject my claim this year, I simply cancelled my booking and stay in other chains.

They come up with all sorts of excuses to deny my claim and the currency rate fluctuation can be as much as USD 10 a night. They also claimed that the cheaper rate found is not available anymore even though I sent them a printshot.

Ridiculous. But not much loss to me as we have many options in life. Furthermore, there is no MR promotion during the last few months.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I get it if the currency fluctuation is a few cents, but if there's a large difference that doesn't make as much sense to me.

Cheers.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I get it if the currency fluctuation is a few cents, but if there's a large difference that doesn't make as much sense to me.

Cheers.
Trust me there was. I was really annoyed when they denied me with all those BS bogus reasons.

This is what I think about LNF: If a Marriott hotel is ok with letting you get away with a lower rate, then you can get your claim through without any problem - as you can see it regularly on the successful LNF thread - LHR Ren is definitely one of them. However if a hotel really hates LNF rates, then you'll have a very hard time getting it through, such as CY Hamburg. Unfortunately the hotels I need are the latter ones, so it makes me having a hard time getting a LNF through.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
.... However if a hotel really hates LNF rates, then you'll have a very hard time getting it through, such as CY Hamburg. Unfortunately the hotels I need are the latter ones, so it makes me having a hard time getting a LNF through.
So does the specific property have a role to play in determining the LNF claim? I would have thought that a central office at Marriott would judge the claims in the order submitted, and if it was found valid, would notify both the customer as well as the hotel, presenting the latter with a fait accompli.

Reading your message suggests that is not the case and LNF claims are first sent to the hotel concerned and only if they acquiesce, does the claim get accepted.

So what is the procedure? Also, something I have been curious about - does Marriott have only one office to determine these LNF claims or do they have multiple offices in different time zones?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phoochka
So does the specific property have a role to play in determining the LNF claim? I would have thought that a central office at Marriott would judge the claims in the order submitted, and if it was found valid, would notify both the customer as well as the hotel, presenting the latter with a fait accompli.

Reading your message suggests that is not the case and LNF claims are first sent to the hotel concerned and only if they acquiesce, does the claim get accepted.

So what is the procedure? Also, something I have been curious about - does Marriott have only one office to determine these LNF claims or do they have multiple offices in different time zones?
I have no idea how the LNF team works, but typically for the hotels that refused my LNF, it usually takes longer (up to 23+ hours) to get a reply from them. Most of the replies are "rate not found", "rates are the same".

Then once I got an email from a hotel telling me why the third party rate is lower than marriott.com rate. I was told that they have to explain to Marriott why they have offered a lower rate.

Another thing: I think hotels work around the clock and there aren't that many people filing LNFs. So if a guy works at the reservation desk recognise your name, and if you are solely staying on LNF rates, then they can just flag you and make sure the dates you book are the same over all the sites.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nacho
Another thing: I think hotels work around the clock and there aren't that many people filing LNFs. So if a guy works at the reservation desk recognise your name, and if you are solely staying on LNF rates, then they can just flag you and make sure the dates you book are the same over all the sites.
I doubt that the one night clerk at a typical Fairfield Inn or TownePlace Suites has the authority or knowledge to change a bunch of third-party rates on the spot. At some some huge full-service hotels it might be different.

And I run out of fingers if I try to count the number of desk clerks who've not understood how I got such a good rate (because they never heard of LNF), not just at Fairfields but even some FS Marriotts (in the USA; I've never yet done an LNF for a hotel outside the USA).
Old Oct 5, 2015, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I doubt that the one night clerk at a typical Fairfield Inn or TownePlace Suites has the authority or knowledge to change a bunch of third-party rates on the spot. At some some huge full-service hotels it might be different.

And I run out of fingers if I try to count the number of desk clerks who've not understood how I got such a good rate (because they never heard of LNF), not just at Fairfields but even some FS Marriotts (in the USA; I've never yet done an LNF for a hotel outside the USA).
I have the same experience as you for US hotels. We have had comments from the rate being a senior rate to a unbeatable rate.

Try doing a LNF outside the US then you'll feel the pain. Some hotels really defend their rate against LNF - I have had FD asking me where I found the lower rate and then they told me how bad it is that Marriott uses this LNF BS to cut their profit (this hotel left the Marriott chain last year).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.