Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pre-Merger: Anyone have stays/points not posting?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2001, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

I stayed at a Marriot in May and neglected to show my AAdavantage card.
Is there an email address to inquire about miles that haven't posted to AA?

Thanks!
Old Jul 12, 2001, 2:21 pm

You cannot earn miles at Marriott by merely "showing your AAdvantage card." Therefore, I doubt any e-mail will do you much good.
Old Jul 12, 2001, 3:01 pm

Unlike Hilton, you can't double dip at Marriott. You use your Marriott Rewards number to earn Marriott points or airline miles, depending on which you have signed up for with Marriott ahead of time.

Assuming you had a Marriott Rewards account at the time of your stay, you should have (and still could) reference your Marriott Rewards number to your stay. Then you'll get points or FF miles, as appropriate.

Otherwise, as UpGradeMe indicates, you're out of luck!
Old Jul 13, 2001, 2:06 am

If you have an MR number, you can post details of your stay using the 'missing points' link on the appropriate page at www.marriottrewards.com.

-David
Old Jul 15, 2001, 6:05 am
In Memoriam

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LIH Prem:
If you have an MR number, you can post details of your stay using the 'missing points' link on the appropriate page at www.marriottrewards.com.

-David
</font>
Have a blood and urine sample ready to send with your receipt

Old Apr 23, 2002, 9:03 am

Location: MCI. AA Plat, UA PrmEx., Mrrtt Gold, Hz Pres.Circle, HHonors Gold
Recent disappointment with MR: Getting points to post

Historically, I've been very happy with MR with regards to points posting. Hotel stays almost always show up promptly. I've had to fight HHonors and Hyatt for my points on a couple occasions, but Marriott seems to work well.

However, since late last year, I've had to fight tooth-and-nail for almost every Marriott point I've earned. The earnings are a mixed bag: two routine domestic hotel stays (both booked at Marriott.com), 1 Execustay rental (involving both bonus and base points), the Marriott Signature card sign-up bonus, and a 15,000 point bonus for visiting a timeshare property. (In addition, one hotel stay posted successfully.)

The results of my efforts have been mixed:
- After a couple of phone calls to the hotels directly, I was able to get the routine stays to post in full. Effort on my part was minimal - maybe 10 minutes spent on the phone. People at the hotels were nice, but they had no solid answer for why my points did not post. My stays were "routine" in every way.
- After a series of phone calls to various departments within Marriott, two letters, and a lot of waiting, I was able to get my Execustay points to post, about nine months after the stay had completed. The total number of points posted was only about 85% of what I expected to earn, but I considered it a win nonetheless.
- The timeshare-visit points have not posted, but last week I received a nice letter from someone at the Horizons property I visited stating that I *will* get the points, and she is helping me get them posted. I'm confident that the points will eventually post, although I wonder if I will have to continue making calls to see it all the way through.
- The Marriott Visa bonus points have not posted. My first email was answered with a "wait a couple months and see if they post" response. I've had the freaking credit card for almost SIX MONTHS now! Email #2 has not been answered. (At the time I signed up for the card, the bonus was only 7500 points. Now it's 10000. I think - for my efforts - I deserve 10000. Hell, I think I deserve 20,000 for having to write all these emails and make all these calls!!! But I'll take what I can get...

Has anyone else noticed a deterioration in the methods/processes Marriott uses to post points? Have you had to make a lot of calls to Marriott to get credited after-the-fact?

A more philosophical question: why do hotel programs tend to have a high number of posting errors/delays for earnings within their system? I haven't had to fight for a flight segment posting in the past seven or eight years! (Partner postings, whether for a hotel program or an FF program, are a different story.) Does Marriott need better IT people, or what?
Old Apr 23, 2002, 9:44 am

Location: Madison, WI, USA; NW Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Over the last year it has been rare that my stays have posted, especially when I stayed at Renaissances. I assume that I'm going to have to fax in my missing stay request to Marriott Rewards customer service, and that a week later I'm going to have to fax it in again with huge bold "Second Request" written on the cover sheet.

My best luck has been when I stay at Courtyards. In fact, there have been a few times I've stayed at less-expensive Courtyards rather than Marriotts or Renaissances because of the hassle factor in getting my MR points.
Old Apr 23, 2002, 10:09 am
TUFBEAR

My experience---The last few months have been a pain getting almost anything to post from the hotels. It usually always takes two phone calls to MR. Each time you MUST get a name and then fax your proof to that person. About 80% of the time that I am required to call MR, I get the impression that they are doing me a big favor. But with 169 nights credited for 2001 (double-doubles, etc.), they probably figure that "I ain't going anywhere else".

Old Apr 23, 2002, 12:50 pm

Location: SLC, UT/ Delta - PM; Marriott - PM; Hilton - Gold; Hyatt - Diamond, Hertz - President's Circle
I'm so surprised to hear you are having problems.

I have spent 35 nights at Marriott properties since the new year. Courtyard, Fairfield, Residence Inn, Renaissance and Marriott.

All have posted within 4-10 days - no problems at all!
Old Apr 23, 2002, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I had over 100 nights in 2001 and 48 so far this year. Roughly 90% post without a problem. The rest take a phone call only. No multiple faxes on hotel stays for me!

My Marriott VISA points always post without a problem. Hertz car rentals are my biggest headache, and the problem is definitely Marriott, not Hertz. I have proven that over and over again.

Bruce
Old Apr 23, 2002, 4:19 pm

Location: MCI. AA Plat, UA PrmEx., Mrrtt Gold, Hz Pres.Circle, HHonors Gold
My monthly MR Visa points post okay - surprisingly quick, in fact. That's part of why I'm surprised the bonus didn't post.

Over the past 2-3 years, I've had good luck with Hertz postings. When FF mile earning opportunities with rental cars dropped sharply, I started earning MR points on all of my 1 and 2 day Hertz rentals. They take a while to post, but for me, they've always eventually posted.
Old Apr 23, 2002, 5:08 pm

I've been having trouble too, and then after two faxes for my Phuket stay, they still didn't get it right, nor did the double stays and points post for it.

The MR VISA points always post like clockwork. They must have a better interface.

-David

[This message has been edited by LIH Prem (edited 04-23-2002).]
Old Apr 23, 2002, 5:23 pm
TUFBEAR

Domestics-90% post immediately.
Internationals-less that 50% chance they post
Visa bonus on internationals good luck!
Exchange rate-correct $ to points-roll of the dice.
Getting points posted on the first call (if not credited in the first 3 weeks) 0%!
Having them believe you on the phone-depends who answers!
If a girl answers your in pretty good shape.
If it's a male voice, hang up & call back!
We're sitting on about 700,000 points & 100,000 have been credited after numerous (801) calls to SLC.
We're still sticking with Marriott, because the hotel staff in Las Vegas & Denver are great.
No complaints, it's the "American work ethic", at it's best!

Old Apr 23, 2002, 10:10 pm

Programs: US 1 Mar Plt Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lele14:
I'm so surprised to hear you are having problems.

I have spent 35 nights at Marriott properties since the new year. Courtyard, Fairfield, Residence Inn, Renaissance and Marriott.

All have posted within 4-10 days - no problems at all!
</font>

Same here
Old Apr 23, 2002, 10:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
I have had no trouble in the last year or so (including MR Visa) with the exception of:

1. Courtyard SAN: I used a gift cert and a small amount of cash. The points only showed up for the cash portion. I had to make about 5 calls to MR cust. service to get it straightened out.

2. Marriott Marquis NYC: we stayed on an award stay in mid March. While we loved the hotel, there were numerous problems. No hot water one day, brown ugly water on other days, they couldn't get it straight what day we were checking out and therefore no housekeeping one day, etc. At the front desk I was offered some cash back (part of our stay was not on award) or the return of some points (not all that many compared to the number we had redeemed to stay there 6 nights). It has been almost 6 weeks and no points have shown up. I called MR customer service. They said to call the hotel (I pay toll). I left 3 messages for the front desk person and never heard back.

Any suggestions as to what to do next would be appreciated. I don't want to hassle the front desk agent, as she took me aside at check out and gave me her card. She said to call her before we come back and she would take care of us personally. Also, all of my dealings with her were extremely pleasant and she was lovely. But, this is frustrating. Am I wrong to expect resolution at 6 weeks?

After reading all of your horror stories I wonder if Marriott is perhaps trying to make us give up or forget what we are due? (And I hardly ever speak a cross word about Marriott. I love the chain.)

[This message has been edited by paradocs (edited 04-23-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.