Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Renaissance - La Concha : Great to be, lousy to sleep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au

My fellow FTers,

Rarely have I been so moved to post, but damn it, this is on this occasion required. Its been 2 years since our last real vacation - no kids, no dogs, just us. we have also been putting in the miles (just like you) my wife and I both making top tier with Marriott and IHG respectively. The joke is we dont argue as we dont see each other too often. However, given the year we have had a real vacation was in order - the choice came down to how best use our combined points and San Juan won out - 6 nights at La Concha, 4 at the Intercontinental. This break is really about rest - its been a hellish year and we face a remodel and sick motherinlaw upon our return.

We got in yesterday, we have a very nicely appointed cabana room. We know that certain platinum benefits, like lounge access and breakfast are not available here, but thats fine, we arent so cheap to dont afford breakfast. What I was not aware was that sleep was at a premium. Its now, as I type this 2.15am. The base is pumping, the noise from the lobby piercing. Sleep, that most critical of all hotel elements is gone the way of the Norwegian Blue. The front desk assure me they will be moving us tomorrow, but I cannot believe the position they put us in. The rest of the hotel, its setup and infrastructure is wonderful, but this most crucial of elements, sleep is extra. Looking forward to this resolving tomorrow.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 9:33 am

If you have read the thread on this hotel before checking in, you would have asked for the other tower. The one by the pool area can be quite noisy, even if you are on top floors. I cannot imagine how noisy is the cabana.

You might want to check and see if they move you. It gets worse over the weekend.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
Upgraded to Corner Ocean Suite. Will consider the matter resolved and look forward to watching the hurricane come in from our new crowsnest.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 6:41 pm

good cheap breakfast options across the street towards the Marriott (2blocks away) Also eat at Ropa Vieja about 3 blocks the other way for a very good Casual Dinner. Make Reservations.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Is there no lounge at the base of the Suite Tower? I was under the impression that Gold and Platinum guests had access to it.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by ken98230
Is there no lounge at the base of the Suite Tower? I was under the impression that Gold and Platinum guests had access to it.
Unfortunately no more lounges in PR.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 6:09 am

La Concha is always a party scene, Budi Tai over the Cartier (basically across from the park) is an outstanding if pricey place for dinner. further down Ashford past the marriott is a place called Via Appia that is a local hangout and good Italian joint, I usually eat here when in PR. I've found there are always locals willing to let me attempt butchered Spanish while being helpful in corrections.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by ken98230
I do not believe there are any lounges left in San Juan. The FS Marriott also closed their lounge. They make the change last year.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by paleales
La Concha is always a party scene, Budi Tai over the Cartier (basically across from the park) is an outstanding if pricey place for dinner. further down Ashford past the marriott is a place called Via Appia that is a local hangout and good Italian joint, I usually eat here when in PR. I've found there are always locals willing to let me attempt butchered Spanish while being helpful in corrections.
IMO, Budatai is not worth the money they charge. Pretty restaurant, but food is nothing special. Been thre multiple times for business lunch and not impressed. One is paying for the atmosphere.

If one wants Chinese, the restaurant down the street (towards Condado Plaza hotel and same side of street as La Concha) offers far superior food at much lower prices.

Also, if one have a sodium issue, avoid Budatai. Food heavily spiced and lots of salt.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:36 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the lounge updates. I was really looking forward to them since I would be at least Gold for my next visit.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 6:54 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
La Concha

Has anyone had a King Suite reserved and been upgraded beyond that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.