Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Anaheim Marriott or Fairfield (Disneyland) choice...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anaheim Marriott or Fairfield (Disneyland) choice...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by windhund
I've also stayed at the Spring Hill Suites (Convention Center) and liked it. The room was fairly large, and there's a CVS downstairs, which is convenient if you snacks or toiletries. I didn't walk to Disneyland from there, but it seems like it would be walkable from there. You can also walk to some of the restaurants/shopping along Katella, if you want a break from the parks.
Recently stayed at the Springhill Suites at the Convention Center (on Katella), and also liked it. The rooms were nice and new. The rooftop pool (small though) and lounge area was pretty nice...it overlooks Katella and you can see Disneyland. It was a zoo downstairs at breakfast. It is walkable to Dinseyland.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 5:25 am

I've stayed at both properties in the second half of 2015. twice at the fairfield and once at the marriott.

this review basically echoes the earlier ones, but adds the perspective of my motivation for the stays.

i prefer the fairfield, but possibly for weird reasons.

you see, i went to anaheim to go to disneyland, not to enjoy a hotel. my goal is to return to the hotel tired out and with sore feet and go to sleep, then wake up and do it again.

if your mission is to be in the parks, then the fairfield is the way to go. it's got "amenities" but they aren't anything to get excited about. the coffee shop on the third floor (or wherever it was) is nice because you can get an ok cup of coffee in the morning. the gift shop on the first floor is neat because it carries a huge selection of alcohol and sunscreen.

the marriott anaheim is a convention hotel so it has a proper bar, a starbucks, a fancy lobby, a concierge. and walking to DL from there is not a big deal at all, especially how much walking you do in the parks anyway.

both properties had awesome staff. the fairfield had nice, fast, courteous valet parking folks, and the desk folks were cheerful and fun to talk to. rooms were clean at both. no request went unmet.

you can only "go wrong" on this choice if you and your wife are expecting a high level of amenities, and then you choose fairfield - which is good news since that's supposed to be the tradeoff between a marriott and a fairfield! (and price of course.)

you probably already know this but if you're going to the parks using the touringplans.com Lines app is a must. it routed and scheduled me wisely and i was able to see a huge number of attractions efficiently. they still have paper fast passes there, and if you're speedy on your feet, you can cover a lot of ground and see a lot quickly. i've got no affiliation with them, and i used the app three times in DL and once in florida at WDW and it was wonderful.

HTH.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the comparisons btwn the 2 properties. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
We are going in April 2016 for the first time and I opted for the Townplace Suites, as it came with a Kitchen and Breakfast. We are the open2close park types and don't really care for eating out on the off days or after we drag ourselves back to the rooms at the end of a day.

Its right down the road (15-20 minutes) from the park.

It turned out that the drive was only about usually less than 15 minutes each day. It all depended on how you caught the lights down Katella. Quite a nice property. Easy to get to and the breakfast was more than adequate for the both of us. Had free and hot cookies most of the time in the afternoon and evening.

Grocery store (Albertson's) about 10 minutes away, so we could stock up the fridge on some food, drinks and stuff to make our Lunch Sandwiches with.

Last edited by drowelf; Apr 29, 2016 at 11:12 am Reason: add information
Old Apr 27, 2016, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Stayed here for 3 nights from the 19th -22nd April ( saving over $900 compared to the Disneyland hotel)

I was given room 700 ( end of the corridor) with concierge access. It is a little bit of a hike along the corridor to the elevators but not too bad.

Room was large, quiet ,well maintained with a view towards the convention centre. The bathroom sink was a little small but adequate.

The concierge lounge offered a good breakfast selection with scrambled eggs, bacon,sausages as hot options. The lounge was quite busy at 730am to 745am as there were quite a few conventioneers also. Mid afternoon ( as the temperature was in the mid 80's Fahrenheit and I was wilting a bit from the park , I left to come back to the hotel, grab a soda from the lounge with some candy and cool down by the pool before heading back around 430pm) the lounge was empty.

They do deserts and cordials from 8pm to 10pm and the desert selection was pretty good. ( lounge closes at 10pm sharp)

During other times of the day ( ie early afternoon) the lounge is not manned but you could access it and grab some candy and soft drinks.

Pool was fine with a large fitness centre in the Oasis tower ( did not use it as I was walking in Disneyland all day!)

There is a Starbucks in the hotel and there can be sizeable queues in the morning. There is also a market place counter selling salads etc ( if the counter is not staffed you pay at the Starbucks counter)

Housekeeping did start a little early ( I keep my do not disturb sign on whilst I went for breakfast in the lounge at 730am and when I got back to my room at about 820am there was already a note from housekeeping under my door). A quick phone call to the At your service line and the room was made up after I went out at 845am)

Got a 1pm check out with no problem.

There is a fedex office with pc's to use ( $0.40 per minute)

Overall a very good stay with beautiful Southern Californian Weather.

Regards

TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Apr 28, 2016 at 3:03 pm
Old Apr 27, 2016, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Stayed here for 3 nights from the 19th -22nd April ( saving over $900 compared to the Disneyland hotel)

I was given room 700 ( end of the corridor) with concierge access.
Regards

TBS
Since you mention concierge access I'm assuming you're referring to the Marriott vs. the Fairfield.

Did the exec lounge not have an internet terminal for you to use (vs. the fedex office)?

Thanks for the trip report/update!

Cheers.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Since you mention concierge access I'm assuming you're referring to the Marriott vs. the Fairfield.

Did the exec lounge not have an internet terminal for you to use (vs. the fedex office)?

Thanks for the trip report/update!

Cheers.
Hi,

I did use the pc in the concierge room but when it came to print the ink in the printer was almost out and it printed very faintly. I needed to print out my Disneyland resort express ticket so decided to use the printer in the fedex office on that occasion.

Most of the time I used my kindle fire and wifi and it worked fine.

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 28, 2016, 2:41 pm

Ah, thanks for the explanation and the trip report.

Cheers.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 12:33 pm

Will be redeeming points for 2 nites next weekend.

Which of these would you recommend for a chance at a 2 bedroom suite upgrade?

Must be within ez walking distance and a good b'fast .

Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate
1700 South Clementine Street Anaheim, California 92802
0.5 miles from Disneyland
Guest rating4.3/5
Save hotel
Free high speed Internet Free breakfast Pet friendly Kitchen/kitchenette
Category 7 Hotel Reward
Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate
From
70,000 points/stay
OR
161 USD /night View Rates
SpringHill Suites at Anaheim Resort/Convention Center
1801 South Harbor Boulevard Anaheim, California 92802
0.6 miles from Disneyland
Guest rating4.4/5
Save hotel
Stylish hotel within walking distance to Disneyland
Free high speed Internet Free breakfast Pet friendly Fitness center
Category 7 Hotel Reward
From
70,000 points/stay
OR
159 USD /night View Rates
SpringHill Suites Anaheim Maingate
1160 West Ball Road Anaheim, California 92802
0.9 miles from Disneyland
Guest rating4.5/5
Save hotel
Free high speed Internet Free breakfast Kitchen/kitchenette Fitness center
Category 7 Hotel Reward
From
70,000 points/stay
OR
161 USD /night View Rates
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Of these three choices, I would prefer Residence Inn on Clementine then SpringHill on Harbor. I assume you mean walking distance to the Disneyland Resort? I wouldn't say easy walking, but most people at these properties take the walk to the Harbor-side entry.

However, if you have a family, I feel the Courtyard is a much better choice for entertainment (unless you are spending all day at the parks during the weekend).

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...park-entrance/

Of course, everybody wishes it wasn't a Courtyard brand (no idea why they chose it except the other brands already had too many locations nearby). I wish they had gone with a Renaissance flavor, it would have been a very smart fit.

Rasheed
Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by rasheed
Of these three choices, I would prefer Residence Inn on Clementine then SpringHill on Harbor. I assume you mean walking distance to the Disneyland Resort? I wouldn't say easy walking, but most people at these properties take the walk to the Harbor-side entry.

However, if you have a family, I feel the Courtyard is a much better choice for entertainment (unless you are spending all day at the parks during the weekend).

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...park-entrance/

Of course, everybody wishes it wasn't a Courtyard brand (no idea why they chose it except the other brands already had too many locations nearby). I wish they had gone with a Renaissance flavor, it would have been a very smart fit.

Rasheed
Eliminated CY since no free bfast (I'm lowly silver)

Booked RI on Clementine and hope I get upgraded to 2 BR loft :

Still looking if there are any point saver deals across any other brand/ disney master thread

Last edited by vickh; Jun 6, 2016 at 12:26 am
Old Jun 6, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
If you are a lowly Silver, the chances of you getting upgraded to a 2 bedroom loft at the RI are very slim! So I wouldn't get your hopes up. Plats and Plat Premiers have trouble getting upgraded to two bedroom suites at any RI. If the upgrade is very important to your stay next weekend, you might want to pay the $140 per night upgrade charge. You could always wait and see what happens, or call the hotel directly and see if they will discount the $140 per night upgrade charge. Good luck!

Regards,

RIP
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by OU812
If you are a lowly Silver, the chances of you getting upgraded to a 2 bedroom loft at the RI are very slim! So I wouldn't get your hopes up. Plats and Plat Premiers have trouble getting upgraded to two bedroom suites at any RI. If the upgrade is very important to your stay next weekend, you might want to pay the $140 per night upgrade charge. You could always wait and see what happens, or call the hotel directly and see if they will discount the $140 per night upgrade charge. Good luck!

Regards,

RIP
Thought I'd try my luck @ check in. Maybe tip the clerk
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:49 am

Fairfield Inn Anaheim Resort Reveals Exciting Makeover

http://news.marriott.com/2017/01/10596/

Excerpt:

"The Fairfield Inn Anaheim Resort has refreshed its public spaces to better accommodate the needs of the modern traveler.

From the moment guests arrive at the hotel near Disneyland®, they will be greeted by friendly faces and revitalized spaces that provide a more welcoming experience. The welcome center’s check-in desks have been relocated to allow easier access to the elevators, making travel more streamlined. With updates from top to bottom, the space now features new paint, flooring and a light-up accent wall. Additionally, new furniture provides comfortable places to read or convene with friends, family or colleagues.

Lobby bathrooms also received a refresh, and the kid’s center was enhanced to keep little ones better entertained when they aren’t visiting The Happiest Place on Earth. Corporate travelers will appreciate a more formal business center, complete with complimentary Wi-Fi and an ADA accessible desk.

Also, new to the Anaheim hotel is a fully equipped fitness center, featuring the latest in cardio, free weight and stretch equipment including three treadmills, a recumbent bike and two cross trainers. A medicine ball rack and yoga mats are also available.

During downtime, hungry travelers can grab a bite to eat at the on-site marketplace that features Seattle’s Best Coffee and Pizza Hut as well as kid’s arcade games.

Renovations to the guest rooms are underway and scheduled for a spring completion date. The rooms will feature designated living spaces with the inclusion of barn doors to separate the sleeping and vanity areas. Also, guests will have the choice of selecting a premium room, which will offer spectacular views of the fireworks or the beautiful resort grounds. The addition of new flooring; 55” televisions with entertainment systems; modern furniture and plush bedding will provide guests with a comfortable, and stress-free experience during their stay."

Cheers.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Fairfield Inn Anaheim Resort Reveals Exciting Makeover
I don't see much exciting about it continuing to not have a complimentary breakfast and yet continue be called a Fairfield.

They have so many brands. Isn't there any brand that's more appropriate? (Except obviously it would be confusing to make it Courtyard because there'a already other Courtyards nearby.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.