Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

One Million Points Marriott Rewards contest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P, NWA & AirTran A+ refugee

I've been receiving emails urging me to "CHECK IN WITH OUR APP FOR A CHANCE TO WIN 1 Million Marriott Rewards® bonus points." Thinking that sounds pretty cool, I downloaded and used the app to check in. So far, so good.

I realize that my chances are slim of winning, but it turns out if you are a US resident, your chances are zero. If you read the fine print here, you first see that you have to register. The solicitation email didn't mention that, but fine, I'll register (though I am disappointed I wasted a few check-in/entry opportunities conducted with the app before I registered). But here the real kicker. This contest is only "Open to legal residents of Austria, Canada, mainland China (excludes Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau), France, India, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland, and UK who are at least the age of majority and are members of the Marriott Rewards Program."

Marriott has my US mailing address and my credit card billing address on files, so they clearly know I am a US resident. So basically they are circulating a sham contest to get folks to download the app to enter a contest that they technically are disallowed from entering. Boo, Marriott.

Last edited by flatlined; Jul 7, 2015 at 7:32 am
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:11 pm
Suspended

all those wasted milli-seconds.

Originally Posted by flatlined
I've been receiving emails urging me to "CHECK IN WITH OUR APP FOR A CHANCE TO WIN 1 Million Marriott Rewards® bonus points." Thinking that sounds pretty cool, I downloaded and used the app to check in. So far, so good.

I realize that my chances are slim of winning, but it turns out if you are a US resident, your chances are zero. If you read the fine print here, you first see that you have to register. The solicitation email didn't mention that, but fine, I'll register (though I am disappointed I wasted a few check-in/entry opportunities conducted with the app before I registered). But here the real kicker. This contest is only "Open to legal residents of Austria, Canada, mainland China (excludes Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau), France, India, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland, and UK who are at least the age of majority and are members of the Marriott Rewards Program."

Marriott has my US mailing address and my credit card billing address on files, so they clearly know I am a US resident. So basically they are circulating a sham contest to get folks to download the app to enter a contest that they technically are disallowed from entering. Boo, Marriott.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Scroll to the bottom of that page for US the t and c's. You clicked on the link for the international t and c's.

US -

"*No purchase necessary. Open to legal residents of U.S. (D.C), Puerto Rico & USVI who are 18 years of age or older and are members of the Marriott Rewards Program. Membership in the program is free. Sweepstakes entry only valid for mobile check-ins for stays from 4/3/15 – 12/31/15 at participating Marriott brands within the U.S., PR & USVI. See Official Rules for (1) how to enter without a hotel stay, (2) how to opt-out of the Sweepstakes after checking in with the Marriott mobile app and, (3) other additional terms and conditions including full prize details and odds of winning. Message and data rates may apply with use of the Marriott Mobile App. Void where prohibited.
Additional countries will be participating in a similar promotion in the coming months."
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:26 pm
Suspended

based upon your post seems the only thing bogus about the OPs post is the OPs post

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Scroll to the bottom of that page for US the t and c's. You clicked on the link for the international t and c's.

US -

"*No purchase necessary. Open to legal residents of U.S. (D.C), Puerto Rico & USVI who are 18 years of age or older and are members of the Marriott Rewards Program. Membership in the program is free. Sweepstakes entry only valid for mobile check-ins for stays from 4/3/15 – 12/31/15 at participating Marriott brands within the U.S., PR & USVI. See Official Rules for (1) how to enter without a hotel stay, (2) how to opt-out of the Sweepstakes after checking in with the Marriott mobile app and, (3) other additional terms and conditions including full prize details and odds of winning. Message and data rates may apply with use of the Marriott Mobile App. Void where prohibited.
Additional countries will be participating in a similar promotion in the coming months."
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:01 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Oooopps Flatlined

If it helps however, this post did one thing, it made me aware that this Marriott sweepstake was available to international members... The first one for a long time. So I've now registered just in time for my first July stay...
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P, NWA & AirTran A+ refugee
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
Oooopps Flatlined

If it helps however, this post did one thing, it made me aware that this Marriott sweepstake was available to international members... The first one for a long time. So I've now registered just in time for my first July stay...
Oops indeed. I wonder why I was directed to the international page when I attempted to register. Must be user error - I blame jet lag. I've updated the thread title to reflect the points you all raised, but left my (incorrect) rant to preserve my shame.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Here are the rules:

http://mobileapp.marriott.com/official-rules/

And for those of us who don't have ios or Android or just don't want to download the app/do mobile check in, here's the snail mail way to enter:

Enter by Mail: To enter without making a reservation at a Marriott property or using Marriott Mobile Check-in, hand print your name, address, day and evening phone numbers, email address, Rewards Account Number, and date of birth on a 3″ x 5″ piece of paper and mail it in an envelope with proper postage to “Marriott Mobile Check-in,” c/o HelloWorld, Inc., P.O. Box 5046, Department 818005, Kalamazoo, MI 49003-5046, U.S.A. You will receive one (1) entry into the applicable Monthly Entry Period and one (1) entry into the Grand Prize drawing. Limit: You will receive one (1) entry per envelope. You may send up to ten (10) mail-in entries each Monthly Entry Period. All mail-in entries must be handwritten and must be postmarked by the last day of the Month (or the following day if the last day of the month is a Sunday) and received by five (5) business days after the last day of the month to be included in that Monthly Entry Period drawing. All entries become the exclusive property of Sponsor and none will be acknowledged or returned. Proof of sending or submission will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, illegible, misdirected or postage-due entries, which will be disqualified.

LIMIT: Entrants may only receive ten (10) entries during each Monthly Entry Period by any combination of entry methods.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I will say this: app check-in has saved my hide, twice. Once at PHL Airport, once at Chicago Magnificent Mile. Both occasions where there was a long queue for "regular" check-in and a dedicated place for app check-in where it took 30 seconds to get my key.

I didn't win the million points, but I saved probably 30-45 minutes, which almost makes me more happy! (Considering I had no real expectation of the million points to begin with...)
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oops indeed. I wonder why I was directed to the international page when I attempted to register.
Because I believe only international users have to register. US users just have to check in online.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Because I believe only international users have to register. US users just have to check in online.
Yes. On the "check in with our app for a chance to win 1 million Marriott Rewards bonus points" page ( http://mobileapp.marriott.com/Sweepstakes/ ) look below the "How to Enter" button, where it says: "Live outside of the US? Click here for details on the International Mobile Check-in Sweepstakes." I wonder if the OP clicked that link (or equivalent) by mistake?

Anyhow, I received an email prompting me to check in (for a reservation that starts tomorrow) using the app for a chance to win.

I have the latest version of the app, 5.1, on my iPad, (which is running iOs 8.4) and I'm looking at the reservation on it, but I see no way to check in.

EDITED TO ADD: I sent an email to Marriott about this, and got a very quick response: "The iPad mobile app does not offer mobile check-in or check-out at this time."

Last edited by KathyWdrf; Aug 7, 2015 at 8:31 pm
Old Aug 9, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
So odd, I thought the iphone and Ipad version of any app were the same!!
Old Aug 9, 2015, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshua362
So odd, I thought the iphone and Ipad version of any app were the same!!
Developers can release an app that is for just phones, just tablets, or both.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
I too started checking in with the app mainly for the 1MM point sweeps but have several times been delighted when the app pops up "your room is ready" - sometimes as early as 11 AM!

I like how you can check in the DAY BEFORE arrival on the app. It asks when you expect to arrive and I have been close to 100% on having room ready, sometimes long before I arrive.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: Marriott , United, Delta, Priority Club
My only concern was that if you 'checked in' via the app, you basically gave up your right to cancel. I checked and they confirmed that you are still able to cancel via normal cancellation protocol even though you checked in via the app. It really is convenient for those of you that haven't tried it. I now use it 100% of the time and it works great.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 10:50 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver

False:

*No purchase necessary. Open to legal residents of U.S. (D.C), Puerto Rico & USVI who are 18 years of age or older and are members of the Marriott Rewards Program. Membership in the program is free. Sweepstakes entry only valid for mobile check-ins for stays from 4/3/15 – 12/31/15 at participating Marriott brands within the U.S., PR & USVI. See Official Rules for (1) how to enter without a hotel stay, (2) how to opt-out of the Sweepstakes after checking in with the Marriott mobile app and, (3) other additional terms and conditions including full prize details and odds of winning. Message and data rates may apply with use of the Marriott Mobile App. Void where prohibited.
Also, you do not have to register; just download the app.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.