Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Fairfax VA Residence Inn?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2015, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Which Fairfax VA Residence Inn?

Will be driving to Route 7, Vienna every day. Prefer to stay in Tysons Corner but this is a MR points stay the entire week.

12815 Fair Lakes Parkway
Fairfax, Virginia 22033

or

3565 Chain Bridge Road Fairfax, VA 22030

or

45250 Monterey Place Dulles, VA 20166

The third choice has a Target and Wegman's within walking distance. I love that area but it's farther away from Route 7, obviously.

TIA !

Last edited by jan_believes; Jul 3, 2015 at 3:18 pm
Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, base with everyone else
I would pick the one on Chain Bridge because it's closer. But there is a Residence Inn
Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, base with everyone else
I would pick the one on Chain Bridge because it's closer. But there is a Residence Inn on Old Courthouse Rd in Vienna. Is that not available? It's a lot closer to Tyson's. Route 123 at 5pm is beyond awful to get to the Residence Inn in Fairfax let alone in Fairlakes which is even further away.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The one at Fairlakes is basically near an office park and some shopping. There are quite a few chain restaurants and a few independents near by. It's a bit older of a property.

The one on Chain Bridge road is relatively new & is a pretty nice hotel. It's got easy access to I-66 if you need that (as does the Fair Lakes one, actually).

Don't know about the one near Dulles, but unless you need to be near Dulles, I'd go with one of the other two - whichever is closer to where you need to be.

If equal distances, then I'd go with Chain Bridge Road one.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Thanks for replies.

I will need to be in the Wolf Trap area by 815am and will leave around 4pm, M-F. (This is not a compensated trip.)

I am using Marriott Reward points to pay for my stay and I don't have enough points to cover the stay from Sat. thru Thursday night.

So, in order to take advantage of the stay 4, get one free, I chose these hotels. I don't think Reston had decreased point stays available.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wolftrap is off the Dulles Toll Road (so if you have an EZ Pass, bring it - or rent a car with EZPass, or carry some money with you if you take the Toll Road route). I believe you can get there via Rt 7 as well.

Based on your location, something in Tyson's Corner are would be best - but if you have to choose from those hotels, I think that the Chain Bridge Road would be your best bet - but I would see if the RI Tysons Corner, the Marriott Tysons, Fairview Park Marriott, or CY Dunn Loring are available for your stay. I think the RI would be best for a longer stay as it's basically designed for that.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:29 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by jan_believes
45250 Monterey Place Dulles, VA 20166

The third choice has a Target and Wegman's within walking distance. I love that area but it's farther away from Route 7, obviously.
There are also several restaurants within walking distance, too. It's a nice property, I stay there with certain frequency for work, and have always had good service.

The lobby area was recently renovated, I haven't been there since so I can't comment on that.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Closure report

Thanks for all the great responses.

I did not have enough MR points to stay in McLean area closer to my volunteering. I helped out at a camp for children with disabilities (my "buddy" had autism). It was held at MBC. Known as "Soaring over 7".

Anyway, I did stay at the RI on Chain Bridge Road south of I-66, Hwy 123.

The hotel was fine. It had been nicely upgraded, especially the kitchen.

One additional feature was reading lights built into the headboard. Nice touch. Breakfast had variable choices each morning.

It was certainly worth the 40K I gave up for a 5-day stay. Staff was great!

The only downside: the computers in the business center had issues almost everyday. Arduous and printer not reliable. If you don't need those, this is a good place to hang out for a week of work or leisure.

Two rabbit trail reports: the public library. Went there to surf and was advised I had to pay a fee. Staff member offered that if I was working in area, I could have a free 90 day pass. Didn't press me for any details really, just steered me to an area to sign in for the pass. Hospitable, helpful. Also, nearby Five Guys. The roasted peanuts one consumes while waiting on order has a much better taste than the burger. Only went there once because I had a GC.

Thanks again. Best wishes!

Last edited by jan_believes; Jul 14, 2015 at 9:42 am
Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
If you have the occasion to stay there again, there are some good alternatives to Five Guys. My dentist is a few blocks west of the 123/Lee Hwy junction, so I oftern grab something toe eat on the way back.

If the 5Guys you went to was on Lee Hwy, I would stop at Anita's instead. Good Tex/Mex local chain. Or drive down 123 to downtown Fairfax. Good fast food including Jersey Mikes and Potbelly. For burgers try Smashburger (Colorado-based) a half mile east on 50.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AATrout
If you have the occasion to stay there again, there are some good alternatives to Five Guys. My dentist is a few blocks west of the 123/Lee Hwy junction, so I oftern grab something toe eat on the way back.

If the 5Guys you went to was on Lee Hwy, I would stop at Anita's instead. Good Tex/Mex local chain. Or drive down 123 to downtown Fairfax. Good fast food including Jersey Mikes and Potbelly. For burgers try Smashburger (Colorado-based) a half mile east on 50.
Thank you! I didn't see Anita's but I think I did see Smashburger. I would need a gift card, which is one of the reasons I chose FG. But, alas, the GC was not accepted there. Disappointng.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IHG
There's a Fuddruckers in the parking lot next to the Chain Bridge Residence Inn. It's kind of a run-down one, but if you like their food, very convenient. That Residence Inn besides having a good breakfast also has an excellent dinner from 6:30 - 8:00 on Mondays and Tuesdays and something else on Wednesdays. This past week was S'mores. Once some months ago on Wednesday, they brought in a food truck. The drinks were free, as usual, but you had to pay for the food truck food. This Residence Inn does have frequent problems with the internet and this past week had problems with the tv in the exercise room and the lobby. And the rooms are pretty dark and small. They also have the window treatments that are all or nothing, the roll up shades + black-out curtains. The big advantage for people with not a ton of points is that this and the Springfield Courtyard, both which are fairly close to a Metro stop, cost only 10,000 points. The Dunn Loring Courtyard, the most convenient property to a Metro stop, was 10,000 during construction right across the street, but now is back to 15,000.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.