Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Need Advice - July 4th in Canada - (Calgary)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Happy Birthday America!

Yes yes - I know July 4th is an American holiday but Im heading to Calgary for a 5 day trip that happens to coincide with July 4th. Was just curious if anyone had any experience with Calgary and more specifically Lake Louise/ Bnaff/ Jasper touristy areas during that time and suggestions for Marriott branded hotels.

Seems like they're are some good Delta(?) hotels/ resorts in the area but because of July 4th its slim pickings.

Also: If you have been there around that time:

Should I except a mad house? Traffic jams from Calgary to Banff? Tour buses? I have traveled into US national parks on July 4th and it was terrible.

Thanks in advance Fyler Talk community!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Marriott LTT, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Calgary will be bustling - the Stampede starts Friday and it draws huge crowds, reportedly on the order of a million people over the ten-day run.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:45 am

Canada Day is July 1 so it's going to be a busy week in both the US and Canada.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by joelitz

Seems like they're are some good Delta(?) hotels/ resorts in the area but because of July 4th its slim pickings.
If you do stay at a Delta property, note that you'll get elite recognition bennies (ie, free wifi, possible upgrade, exec lounge access if they have one & you're Gold or Plat) but not points/night credit. P/N doesn't start until end of Feb '16.

Cheers.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:07 pm

There are a number of Marriott properties in YYC. Since the Stampede is just getting underway at that time you will need to make sure you have reservations beforehand. I'd expect the downtown locations to be full.

In town there is the brand new FI, plus the newly refurbished full service and a Delta Bow Valley (still in decent shape). Up north you have a Delta at the airport itself plus an RI/CY in the north. The RI/CY are great options if you can't get downtown as a cab ride is about $20-25 (there may be a wait for taxis too depending on the time of day).

There are a couple of other Marriott properties on the south side of town as well but I tend to stay north or downtown so I don't know them very well.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last year we flew in on Canada and drove to Banff immediately. There will be detours in town in Banff but we hit no trafifc until the actual parade route and it only took about 10 minutes to navigate around the detours to get to the Fairmont where we were staying.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My impression is that the Lake Louise hotels are pretty full and expensive throughout the summer. [I remember having to pay rack rate in late June and I felt lucky to be able to get a room wheere I wanted.] Banff probably isn't much better.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the feedback - this was really really helpful. Based on your feedback and looking into this weekend further I'm actually changing my trip and flying into Vancouver and driving around there for a few days instead - probably ending up at the beach. Gonna save Calgary for a less busy time of year.

I know its still July 4th and also Canada day but seems like I will have more options and less crowds with more to do - or at least a lot less Canadian cowboys for stampede in Vancouver.

Also - SkiAdcock thanks for the tips about Delta property - i didn't know that and its something I will for sure keep in mind when booking.

Im gonna make a new post asking about Vancouver area recommends. But if anyone here has some a favorite i would love to hear about it

Again - thanks for the feedback!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.