Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Getting to Courtyard LGW after midnight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2015, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR

Our arrival time at LGW has changed to 00:05+1 and we will need overnight accommodation. I had thought of using the Hampton Inn in the North Terminal using Hilton points.

However, I still have a free night from my Marriott credit card expiring soon and rather than lose it, I'm thinking of using it at the Courtyard LGW, said to be 10 minutes walk from the South Terminal. There is a helpful map of the walking route online.

Assuming (a) dry weather and (b) on time arrival (will the shuttle still be working?), has anybody practical experience of getting to the Courtyard after midnight?

Many thanks. [I searched the Marriott and London forums but found nothing relevant.]
Old May 30, 2015, 4:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
This thread was originally posted on the BA forum, however, as it is specifically about a Marriot hotel, it has been moved to the Marriot forum so that Marriot regulars may be able to help the OP.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum
Old May 30, 2015, 4:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's not the most pleasant of walks at night, particularly if the weather is inclement, you walk past a series of parking facilities - but if you're on your own and with limited baggage it's do-able in under 10 minutes. Basically the hotel is at the back of the Hilton on the southern side. Some people walk through the Hilton, using the car park fire exit door, to get there Personally I'd stay at the Hampton or Hilton, both are far better hotels. I can see the point of using the "free" night, but at midnight expediency takes over, I feel.
Old May 30, 2015, 5:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

Can I also suggest the premier inn as well. There are two near the north terminal, one is a newer one the other side of the multi-story car park from the terminal, the other is about 5 minutes walk so a bit further bit usually cheaper.
Old May 31, 2015, 2:17 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
I would certainly choose a free night at the Courtyard over a paid stay in any other hotel in the LGW campus.

I have used the CY a number of times, it is a clean, modern hotel with good facilities and friendly staff.

I haven't done the walk after midnight, but have done it in the dark and in the rain several times without any issues.

You aren't exactly walking through an inner city ghetto, you are in a UK airport where I have little doubt that every square inch is covered by CCTV.

Nick
Old May 31, 2015, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks, all, for the very helpful advice.

Our choice is effectively between a points stay at the CW or a points stay at the Hampton. I must say c-w-s's point about expediency (and possible poor weather) and Nick's points about a free night being better than a paid stay and airport security are persuasive. So I'll book the Hampton on HH points - more convenient and with the prospect of breakfast.

KARFA's recommendation of the Premier Inns will be useful on a future trip. They're likely to be more cost effective than the CW or Hampton.

What to do with the Marriott free night? I had hoped to use it at Protea hotels in South Africa with other Marriott points. However lack of BA award availability knocked that one on the head. Perhaps we'll use it at CY LGW prior to the outbound flight. We only have a 70 mile journey on public transport, but it could reduce stress ...
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Roger
What to do with the Marriott free night? Perhaps we'll use it at CY LGW prior to the outbound flight. We only have a 70 mile journey on public transport, but it could reduce stress ...
If you do stay at the CY LGW please do a trip report in this thread after your trip, so other FTers will know what to expect/what the property is like & it will come up on search. Thx!

Cheers.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OK, will do.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If you do stay at the CY LGW please do a trip report in this thread after your trip, so other FTers will know what to expect/what the property is like & it will come up on search. Thx!

Cheers.
Well, I had a booking for next week to tie in with our ex-LGW BA flight. Unfortunately we had to cancel the flight and consequently the CY LGW points stay.

I can't believe anyone was waiting on tenterhooks for our trip report, but just wanted to let you know. As we rarely use LGW - and our points certificate expires soon - I'll duck out and let somebody else report.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.