Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Room Guarantee

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 8:56 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lifetime United Gold and 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Marriott and SPG Platinum , AA, Hilton
Thumbs down Room Guarantee

Is there a guarantee that a room will be available by 3 PM on check-in day? If so what is the penalty to the hotel? I had to wait 2 hours for a room at the JW Marriott in New Orleans, a full hour after the 3 pm check-in. Anything?
Old May 20, 2015, 9:15 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by TheMan
Is there a guarantee that a room will be available by 3 PM on check-in day? If so what is the penalty to the hotel? I had to wait 2 hours for a room at the JW Marriott in New Orleans, a full hour after the 3 pm check-in. Anything?
There is no guarantee that I know of actually for any time; actually, most say that no guarantee prior to 4:00 pm.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by TheMan
No, there is no time deadline for room availability. Judging room availability is like restaurant tables. You never know when the guest is going to actually check-out (of even if they will stop by the front desk) and then housekeeping being able to clean the room. The better properties will offer a lesser room to use until your room is ready. Some will offer an upgraded room. Some will offer lounge access. Just telling you to go away until it's ready is very poor service and they should be called on that.

Fortunately, there are many ways to fill your time in NOLA, so short of needing to freshen up, drop your bags and to enjoy the many treasures N'awlins offers.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No guarantee, but what did the General Manager say when you raised the issue on the spot? Usually they will credit something to your room, comp a meal at the restaurant while you wait or somesuch.

You can, of course, send in a complaint and Marriott will toss you some points, but 99% of these things are best dealt with on the spot.

There are lots of reasons why rooms don't sometimes appear as they ought to. Note that your delay was 1 hour, not 2 hours as you arrived an hour before check-in.

Could be:
1. Earlier guest did not leave. Some states prohibit forcible evicting a guest, so it's just plain tough. In others even if the guest is physically tossed, that still takes time.

2. Room (or rooms) had damage and weren't useable.

3. Room was dirtier than usual and cleaning it took more time & effort than it ordinarily would.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most hotels have 4 pm checkin.

For those saying there's no time guarantee... really? I can't invoke the Plat guarantee at 4 pm if a room of my specified type isn't ready yet? Or at 5, or 6 or 7? There has to be a point at which I can invoke it, no?
Old May 20, 2015, 10:27 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
There has to be a point at which I can invoke it, no?
Correct, the answer is no.

I guess if you don't get a room by, say midnight, you might be able to invoke the room guarantee as the hotel wasn't able to get you a room on the day of the reservation. Other than something like that, the Guarantee doesn't really provide much for checking-in timing.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:29 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
This particular hotel has a check in of 4 pm.... clearly detailed on their website.

They have no obligation to allow you to check in before 4 pm.... and occasionally rooms are not ready at 4 pm.

Why are you questioning 3 pm? Sounds like you were there 2 hours before check in time.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
3pm is the prevalent time that I've seen. I can understand a room not being ready and I will certainly wait if it's an upgraded room. Only once was I told I must wait until check-in time. That's by someone I had not seen at that property before, and he was still learning the ropes. A quick 'Hi Ron' with the manager (named Ron) freed up the room right then.

I would raise a ruckus and escalate with MR if it took more than a few hours to get me into a room. And I would expect an honest attempt to make me comfortable during that time. An open bar tab if no lounge available, or a comp'd dinner that night. Everyone will have their own pain threshold and should manage to that.
Old May 20, 2015, 11:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It sounds as though the check-in time was 4 PM and OP got his room at 4PM. Where's the beef?
Old May 20, 2015, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
It sounds as though the check-in time was 4 PM and OP got his room at 4PM. Where's the beef?
No beef on that, I'm wondering about the people who say there's no guarantee at 4 either.

If the plat guarantee can't be involved until midnight, it is worthless.
Old May 20, 2015, 11:52 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
No beef on that, I'm wondering about the people who say there's no guarantee at 4 either.

If the plat guarantee can't be involved until midnight, it is worthless.
There is no documentation provided by Marriott on this. The only guidance is whether you get a room or not for the night.
Old May 20, 2015, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Well, The Man, is obviously mistaken or was/is gilding the Lilly concerning his complaint.

If not permitted to check-in in a timely manner, the matter is best taken up directly with the hotel and not in these pages.

One negotiates his complaint with the property and since the failure to be let into one's room is at most 1 hour over customary, hopefully this will be the end of The Man's posts on the subject. @:-)

I also think it is kind of funny how often "The Man" uses the thumbs down sign on his posts!!!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/searc...5901721&query=

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; May 20, 2015 at 1:08 pm
Old May 20, 2015, 4:15 pm

Don't go to Starwood.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-3-isnt-8.html
Old May 20, 2015, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation

Originally Posted by jabbered
One property's mistake does not define chain policy. And as I read the thread it was more specifically a new staff member issue.
Old May 20, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by RogerD408
One property's mistake does not define chain policy. And as I read the thread it was more specifically a new staff member issue.
Starwood properties seem to be more likely to miss check in time due to guaranteed 4pm check out for elites. Unlike Marriott's "priority late checkout**", the 4pm late check out option is pretty much guaranteed. This creates room scarcity at check in, and occasional complaints on FT.

**Not available unless the property feels like it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.