Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Old May 22, 2015, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by dayone
Desk sanity prevails in the new "JW Marriott brand design ethos and aesthetic."
Intended to enhance and elevate the guest experience, the new distinguished rooms were inspired by the bespoke nature of a beautifully tailored suit. Guests will experience a calming color palate of deep chocolate, charcoal and pearl grey with small accents of pink and chrome reminiscent of a stylish pocket square and men's watch. Guests will also notice the textures of tweed, leather and herringbone stitching, as well as subtle patterns of Greek keys and paisley often seen on men's neckties.

That's JW, what about other lower end brands?
Old May 22, 2015, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by nacho
That's JW, what about other lower end brands?
Typically, the lower end brands have useful utilitarian furniture rather than useless "high-concept" furniture.
Old May 22, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by DL-Don
+1

This is one case where out of sight, out of mind can have really bad consequences.
Absolutely. I always have a ball cap or 2 in the carry-on. Once I check in, I invert it on top of the desk and small stuff I might lose or forget otherwise goes in there.
Old May 22, 2015, 8:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I just had a stay at the Marriott Houston North and I thought the room design was actually quite good, if a little overstuffed:

I will say that some of the AC by Marriott rooms are especially odd. Overemphasis on modern and the shower you can see from the bedroom is a very strange concept (this is Madrid):

Old May 22, 2015, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I'll chime in as a Gen Xer - I haven't used the desk in a hotel for anything other than dropping my keys and change for years.

I adore the SpringHill Suites' idea of having a laptop tray that you can maneuver right into your lap as you lounge on the sectional, watch TV, and play with your laptop or tablet on the tray table.

I do agree that sometimes it gets a little fashion-forward with some of the renovations. But the hulking desks of the past only conjure up images of a Victorian granny in her hoop skirt using a quill and an inkwell to write out a letter of her travels to the family back home.

Besides, most desks in hotels these days are so littered with marketing collateral that there's about four square inches left anyway.
I've stayed in a few different SpringHill Suites and haven't seen these "laptop trays" you speak of -- but I HAVE seen (and used) a desk in each one!

By the way, nearly 100% of my travel is NOT business travel -- but I still want/need a desk.

And I call BS on the the desks only having "four square inches left" -- whatever papers/materials are on them are easily moved aside.
Old May 23, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
I've stayed in a few different SpringHill Suites and haven't seen these "laptop trays" you speak of -- but I HAVE seen (and used) a desk in each one!

By the way, nearly 100% of my travel is NOT business travel -- but I still want/need a desk.

And I call BS on the the desks only having "four square inches left" -- whatever papers/materials are on them are easily moved aside.
Hey, I call BS on your BS. So there.

So we have people who want desks, people who don't care, and people who prefer lazing in the sectional with the mini rolling laptop tray. <shrugs>
Old May 23, 2015, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
So we have people who want desks, people who don't care, and people who prefer lazing in the sectional with the mini rolling laptop tray. <shrugs>
I think of those who have posted, the majority want a desk.
Old May 23, 2015, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djk7
Any glass bathroom door seems like a horrible idea. Sometimes my wife accompanies me on business trips and sleeps in when I have to go in early. The bathroom door should block as much noise and light as possible.
The new SHS has a huge problem on this front. It is well documented in TripAdvisor for some properties (e.g. SHS Flagstaff AZ). You do wonder which idiots designed it.

Originally Posted by SgtRyan
The answer is very simple. They want you to go to the lobby and work there, why? Because you will spend money on food and drink!!!
Oh, it is greedy people, not idiots, who designed it

Originally Posted by AKDan
I also dislike the Marriott's that don't have a desk OR have a desk but don't have an office chair. Seriously, I can't work very ergonomically from a kitchen chair that isn't height adjustable! In the OP's defense I am much younger and agree with that point.
I think a lot of us who are on the road a lot tend to have one set of tasks during the day and have to come back to the hotel to take care of e-mails and do the rest of the work. Non-ergonomic chairs/desk already drive me crazy at some hotels. It i definitely a deal breaker for me if there is no desk. I luckily have been to new/newly renovated SHS, REN, TPS and have not encountered this.

Sheraton Four Points are not so great but I love the big desks they have! I also hate it when some desks have glasses on top so the mouse does not work. So, a good desk and chair make a huge difference.

Maybe Murphy desks if they want to please everyone?

Last edited by username; May 23, 2015 at 9:03 pm
Old May 23, 2015, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
Le Meridien in Shanghai is like this - shower part is "open" - but you can lower the shades in the glass.

I once travelled with a friend who is very very shy. So, the W glossy sliding bathroom door made him totally uncomfortable.

When I feel a hotel is too cool for me (like some W - I just get dizzy because of the dark color and lack of light), I tend not to return to it. So, things go both ways. Millennials are important but boomers and Gen X that are getting old are also going to be around for a while.
Old May 24, 2015, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by username
Le Meridien in Shanghai is like this - shower part is "open" - but you can lower the shades in the glass.

I once travelled with a friend who is very very shy. So, the W glossy sliding bathroom door made him totally uncomfortable.

When I feel a hotel is too cool for me (like some W - I just get dizzy because of the dark color and lack of light), I tend not to return to it. So, things go both ways. Millennials are important but boomers and Gen X that are getting old are also going to be around for a while.
Wow, this is worse than a Courtyard - small room and no shelf space. The bed looks so uncomfortable. It looks like a superior motel 6 to me
Old May 24, 2015, 6:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nacho
Wow, this is worse than a Courtyard - small room and no shelf space. The bed looks so uncomfortable. It looks like a superior motel 6 to me
The bed was actually quite comfortable but yeah, storage space was a minimum. Still, I think I paid about 70 Euros a night which included breakfast so I don't think I should be too picky.
Old May 24, 2015, 7:28 pm

The EWR Airport Marriott took out desks and desk chairs and instead put in a couch/bench thing with what appears to be a fancy hospital table (the kind the lower/raise with a lever).
-
They also removed the tub and put in a walk-in shower which in theory is nice but is too narrow to be useful.

Otherwise the color scheme is meh (but my wife constantly tells me that I have no taste in things like that) and I was able to sleep so the main point of the room is still there.
Old May 24, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
I want/need desk.

My routine is to put laptop on and phone/appliance charger on the desk. Plug the phone, ipod, tablet, watch, and noise canceling headphones to recharge.

I drop the religious material in a trash can, brochures etc... go to drawer.

I usually live out of a suitcase and rarely use drawers or closet. Unless I go diving, then closet gets full of hanging/drying dive gear with towels underneath (I ask for extra towels).
Old May 24, 2015, 9:46 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by iztok
I drop the religious material in a trash can
OK, I guess to some people that makes sense.
Old May 25, 2015, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kmersh
They also removed the tub and put in a walk-in shower which in theory is nice but is too narrow to be useful.
That is a good point. I am a thin guy but the walk-in showers I have seen in mid-price hotels (e.g. HGI, CP) have been too narrow. It hurts when the elbows bump into the glasses. I just hope they don't break.

Then, some hotels put the shower head on the opposite end as the door. So, it is a little tricky to not get splashed by cold water...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.