Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2015, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I prefer a desk when I travel for leisure too, actually.
Old May 17, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by DL-Don
They appear to have pulled out the tubs here and replaced them with walk-in showers. One positive in a sea of negative.
I disagree. A hotel is often the one place where I welcome a tub, after a day full of flying, to soak an aching back.
Old May 17, 2015, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by formeraa
I disagree. A hotel is often the one place where I welcome a tub, after a day full of flying, to soak an aching back.
As tubs are water hogs and there is lots of drought, I am glad to see tubs go away, they are a waste of water.
Old May 17, 2015, 6:46 pm

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
What I am seeing more is a rolling type desk/table that you can move around the room and tucked away under a shelf. This works great as you can put it anywhere you want.
This is what I'm seeing in many Courtyards and I'm fine with it. For those who don't want a desk, it's just a credenza. If you need a desk, you roll it out from underneath.

This works perfectly for me every time:

Old May 17, 2015, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by flyerfmaz
This is what I'm seeing in many Courtyards and I'm fine with it. For those who don't want a desk, it's just a credenza. If you need a desk, you roll it out from underneath.

This works perfectly for me every time:

I love these! You can pull out the table and move it around. Often I turn it 90 degrees to make a nice large work area. Can position it to look out the window or better view of the TV. Or even use it as a table elsewhere in the room.

My trick it to also carry an extension cord with multiple outlets and a data cable with a gender-bender to extend the short cable on the desk.
Old May 17, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Executive
Originally Posted by apodo77
Was there a desk?

Can't remember ever staying in a marriott branded property with no desk.

A picture from the OP would have been nice. The SFO Marriott website still shows the old rooms with desks (of which I have stayed at many times).
I think there was a desk in the new room, but I was given a "concierge M club access" room or something like that - maybe that matters now?

I'll take a photo the next time I'm there - maybe this week on Weds night, not sure yet!
Old May 18, 2015, 12:28 am

No longer a Westin. Starwood has reimagined it as Park Central San Francisco
Old May 18, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage,
That Milano room is horrible to me. "Help, I'm being attacked by an army of electronics in my sleep!!!"

I am not a business traveler, although I end up in hotels on a regular basis. I have started to notice that I get way more functionality and stuff I want to be comfortable at some chain at the highway interchange, where I pay less, than at the fancy city hotel I'm paying three times as much for. Just as one example, free WiFi at the chain, pay for half assed WiFi in the middle of Boston.

Also in the middle of Boston - and this is just heinous - motion sensor room temp controls. I get the point, no blasting the AC all day when you aren't there, but sleeping generally does not involve motion...until I wake up in a sweat puddle because the AC thinks I'm not there. Grrrr.
Old May 18, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
As a business traveler I'm mostly interested in cleanliness, function, and space. A clean room with as much space as possible so I can set up my portable office and feel a little bit more at home.
And function before space. The first hotel that realizes that couples often travel with two computers they both want to use on desks will attract a lot of business.

And it's nice to have at least 4 dresser drawers for two people.
Old May 18, 2015, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Absolutely no desk in mine.

Website shows this picture:

and room description says:

Furniture and Furnishings
  • Chair, oversized
  • Alarm Clock
  • Desk, writing / work, electrical outlet
  • Iron and ironing board

Maybe it is just false advertising because the wine wasn't there either.
At least the dresser looks adequate.
Old May 18, 2015, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by sethb
At least the dresser looks adequate.
Yes, the picture does look nice. But as stated the desk was not there so who's to say anything else was actually there.

Years ago when travel agents were all the rage, I picked a LA hotel from their book. Pictures were great and looked like a new place! Got there to find a repurposed apt building and a trashy place. Took two sharpies to black out the entry in the book when I got back home!
Old May 18, 2015, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by jlb3
So I’m a millennial travel and frequently get these Marriott surveys. I always say I have no need of a desk or chair – because I don’t. When I travel for leisure, esp with other people, it just gets in the way and is a total waste of space. And if I have work to do, I can go in the club lounge or in the lobby – which I actually prefer. It’s buzzing with people and I can get food and drink there – who wants to just sit alone in their room and work? That’s boring and lonely.

So I guess there’s another perspective.
So it's you & your survey we have to blame for no desks I think there's a difference btwn leisure travel. You mean you can work in the lounge when it's open. There are times I work quite late or early in the room when the lounge isn't available & the lobby would be empty. Also some like to dress much more casual in their room than they would if they were in public spaces.

The real core of jlb3's response is quoted above.

When I travel for business (99% of the time) and I'm working for different clients on different projects, the hotel room is the only place to spread all the stuff out and concentrate. While I can multitask with the best of them, I really don't want to make business calls from the lounge or lobby where it sounds like I'm doing a customer's business in a bar and where other people I don't know will hear my confidential conversations.
Agree.

However, 99.9 percent of my travel is business and, for that, a desk is entirely a necessity.

If Marriott is going to rip out desks because they want to appeal primarily to the vacation crowd and less to the business people, they're perfectly within their right to do that. It will, however, force almost all of us who travel on business and need a desk to look elsewhere for accommodations, regardless of whether we're "Millenials", "Boomers", "Gen X", "Gen Y", whatever.

I know plenty of young workers who travel and would be up a creek without a desk, so I really don't think this issue has anything to do with one's age or generation.
Agree.

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I'm a Gen Xer and I agree, [ When I travel for business, however, especially on a trip where I need to do more work from the hotel than simply responding to email for 15-20 minutes in the evening, a desk is vital to my productivity.
Agree.

Originally Posted by Baze
The old adage, you can please some of the people all the time, all the people some of the time, but you can never please all the people all the time.

A hotel needs to figure out where it's bread and butter is. For most it is the business travelers during the week. They need to cater to them. Look at the rates for most hotels, they drop like a rock on the weekends for the leisure crowd. As most business travelers need a desk it would make sense to have one in there. What I am seeing more is a rolling type desk/table that you can move around the room and tucked away under a shelf. This works great as you can put it anywhere you want.
Agree.

I'd be ok w/ that.

They may change their mind when we work in the lobby in our underwear.

Originally Posted by RogerD408
I love these! You can pull out the table and move it around. Often I turn it 90 degrees to make a nice large work area. Can position it to look out the window or better view of the TV. Or even use it as a table elsewhere in the room.

My trick it to also carry an extension cord with multiple outlets and a data cable with a gender-bender to extend the short cable on the desk.
Agree it would be good; not so thrilled about carrying extension cords & data cables. I already carry enough cables & chargers.

Cheers.
Old May 18, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
And it's nice to have at least 4 dresser drawers for two people.
Two thumbs up for that! I think it was a Fairfield Inn my wife and I stayed in fairly recently -- NO drawer space AT ALL, except for the drawers in the nightstand. We ended up using the space under the TV, bathroom drawers, and the top of our suitcases to store clothing. What the????!!??

Last edited by flyerfmaz; May 18, 2015 at 11:31 am
Old May 18, 2015, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by justforfun
No desk?! That's a deal breaker.
+1

I am mostly a business traveler. I expect a proper desk and chair in my room. I typically work at the desk 2 hours each night.
Old May 18, 2015, 9:05 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by formeraa
If we were talking proper soaking tubs, I'd 100% agree with you. But most US tubs are shallow, sad little things that can barely cover my ankle. Given the choice, then, I'd rather have a walk in shower. (Less chance of tripping.)

Most tubs I've seen in European and Asian properties are acceptable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.