Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2015, 6:30 am

Location: DCA's home, AA hubs and spokes are where you'll usually find me
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by jr1202sr
I can't imagine why anyone would ever take a bath in a Hotel Tub.
Because they travel with children who do, in fact, take baths. Weekend business has lots of kids.
Old May 17, 2015, 7:00 am

The typical European hotel tub/shower setup is deep enough for a good soak and there is usually a better quality shower with a detachable hand held spray and often an overhead nozzle as well. I like the half glass shower door they use. I wish the modernizations would upgrade the quality of the old American tub/shower combos instead of doing away with the tub.
Old May 17, 2015, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The half glass shower barriers are horrible but a room with no desk boggles the mind.
Old May 17, 2015, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by AATrout
It would have been cool if you posted a few pics of the absent desk and other issues. Do you mean there was no desk at all, or just a small one clogged with the phone, coffee/ice bucket? I had a small desk in my room a few weeks ago with the coffee/tea/ice bucket on one side, but it also had a pullout desk on casters underneath. That worked for me. If I ever want to spread out a bunch of hard-copy files and need 5 or more feet to do it (rare) the new chairs are full height adjustable so I just spread the stuff out on the bed.

I've logged a lot of nights there and the tiny rooms -especially the bath - were very claustrophobic, so putting in a sliding door and shower in place of the solid door and tub is a huge improvement. They dumped those armoires in place of a low dresser to hold the TV and that makes it seem roomier.

Agree a luggage stand is a must - I never totally unpack a roll aboard so instead of putting it on one side of the bed, it would be better to have a stand. Closets always seemed like a void that wasted space in these small rooms. I rarely hang more than 3 or 4 garments, so a large closet seems like a waste.

I think they have done a decent job with these tiny rooms. Well, mostly.
In retrospect I should have taken some pics. There is a long narrow "sofa table" just beyond the foot of the bed next to the windows. A flatscreen is mounted in the middle of that table. The table is slightly deeper than a laptop. There was a lamp at one end with an outlet in it. That became my desk. There was no space to spread out any papers especially given the 50" TV in the middle. Before my "tantrum" the entire surface of that table was covered with the coffee pot, ice bucket, etc.

There was a small set of drawers in what used to be the closet. When I arrived, all the towels and wash clothes were stacked there. I was informed by the manager that that was the luggage stand.

Oh really? Where do I put all these towels? Silence.

I asked if he minded that my heavy duty "pilot" bag would likely scratch the finish? Silence.

Oh well. I guess I'll try the nearby Westin or Hyatt next time.
Old May 17, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by djohannw
This was their response when I challenged the sanity of the decision to get rid of the work-desk in their rooms - they claimed it was in response to a survey where travelers overwhelmingly responded that a desk in the room was not needed.
That's insane. Who did they survey, I wonder? The same group that said that a bathroom door wasn't really needed, just a sheet of glass?

I travel twice a month for business. Marriott is still my hotel brand of choice but I've been weighing my options for a year or so on some other issues -- such as the fact that the points you earn are cut in HALF if you stay at a RI or TPS. Really? Two of my favorite properties for business travel and I only get half the points. Why? So I'm back at a CY again, getting full points but dealing with some inconveniences, such as the lack of any free coffee/tea in the lobby -- the only "free" coffee is the crappy dollar store stuff they put in the room.

The moment they tell me there's no desk and the bathroom door is now peek-a-boo, I'm outta there.
Old May 17, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold,Marriott PP,Hilton Diamond, National EX, Hertz PC
Stayed at a Marriott in St. Louis recently with the new rooms and no desk. Manager said they are getting a lot of complaints about it. Let him know there were lots of other hotels and If I cannot work in my room with a desk, will have to stay elsewhere. They may be designing rooms for those in their 20's, but how often do they travel?
Old May 17, 2015, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SgtRyan
The answer is very simple. They want you to go to the lobby and work there, why? Because you will spend money on food and drink!!!
They may change their mind when we work in the lobby in our underwear.
Old May 17, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jm62
Stayed at a Marriott in St. Louis recently with the new rooms and no desk. Manager said they are getting a lot of complaints about it. Let him know there were lots of other hotels and If I cannot work in my room with a desk, will have to stay elsewhere. They may be designing rooms for those in their 20's, but how often do they travel?
This mistake by Marriott is so stupidly off-base it's bound to be corrected.

On the other hand, if Marriott wants to get rid of business travelers and focus on other market segments, then I suppose removing the desk is a smart move.
Old May 17, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
So I’m a millennial travel and frequently get these Marriott surveys. I always say I have no need of a desk or chair – because I don’t. When I travel for leisure, esp with other people, it just gets in the way and is a total waste of space. And I never need more than 1 or maybe 2 drawers for my stuff. Hanging my clothes free form, like in the cool new AC hotels, is totally fine. Who needs a closet really? And if I have work to do, I can go in the club lounge or in the lobby – which I actually prefer. It’s buzzing with people and I can get food and drink there – who wants to just sit alone in their room and work? That’s boring and lonely.

Re: the luggage rack – that lack of one is annoying. When I’m in a hotel room and there isn’t one, I just call down and ask that one be delivered. I get it within a few mins. No problem there.

And I LOVE the new CY design. My sister (who is younger) and I were at the CY in Buffalo we had a room with the new grey design. It was so modern! We loved it – my sis thought the desk design was cute. And I liked the color scheme. According to the manager, it’s called a “Synergy Package” which makes total sense. I don’t know how anyone could not love this design, esp compared to the boring standard CY rooms which I hate. It actually makes me want to stay at more CYs.

So I guess there’s another perspective.
Old May 17, 2015, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlb3
When I travel for leisure, esp with other people, it just gets in the way and is a total waste of space.
The real core of jlb3's response is quoted above.

When I travel for business (99% of the time) and I'm working for different clients on different projects, the hotel room is the only place to spread all the stuff out and concentrate. While I can multitask with the best of them, I really don't want to make business calls from the lounge or lobby where it sounds like I'm doing a customer's business in a bar and where other people I don't know will hear my confidential conversations.

Maybe Marriott should offer "desk-free" rooms like they offer "feather-free" pillows and see how many people check the box?
Old May 17, 2015, 12:43 pm

I usually stay at that hotel about 6-8 nights a year, and I was just there about two weeks ago. I was in one of their newly renovated room and perhaps I'm missing something here, but there was definitely a small desk built into the wall near the window. They removed the dresser where the TV usually sits and the TV is just mounted on the wall and they placed new furniture in there. One of the ottoman type of chairs near the window had one of those smaller tables that can be pulled up to that chair and serve as a portable desk as well.

Maybe odd man out, but I actually really liked that design (because yes, the desk may be smaller and a portable desk provided, but it is very functional IMO). Yes I'm a Millennial, but sorry to share this, Millennials will be half of the workforce within the next 3-4 years, so it is actually smart of Marriott to start catering (from a business perspective) to the group that will generate half of their revenue verses the three other groups that will split the other half....just my two cents.
Old May 17, 2015, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dank0014
I usually stay at that hotel about 6-8 nights a year, and I was just there about two weeks ago. I was in one of their newly renovated room and perhaps I'm missing something here, but there was definitely a small desk built into the wall near the window. They removed the dresser where the TV usually sits and the TV is just mounted on the wall and they placed new furniture in there. One of the ottoman type of chairs near the window had one of those smaller tables that can be pulled up to that chair and serve as a portable desk as well.

Maybe odd man out, but I actually really liked that design (because yes, the desk may be smaller and a portable desk provided, but it is very functional IMO). Yes I'm a Millennial, but sorry to share this, Millennials will be half of the workforce within the next 3-4 years, so it is actually smart of Marriott to start catering (from a business perspective) to the group that will generate half of their revenue verses the three other groups that will split the other half....just my two cents.
In other words, adapt or move on Grandpa? Just kidding, though it does seem some places seem to forget about us non-milleials. We are still a significant portion of the working population and we are working longer and longer so we are not going away anytime soon.
Old May 17, 2015, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Absolutely no desk in mine.

Website shows this picture (which is what it used to look like BEFORE the redesign):

and room description says:

Furniture and Furnishings
  • Chair, oversized
  • Alarm Clock
  • Desk, writing / work, electrical outlet
  • Iron and ironing board

Maybe it is just false advertising because the wine wasn't there either.

Last edited by DL-Don; May 18, 2015 at 9:28 am
Old May 17, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jr1202sr
I can't imagine why anyone would ever take a bath in a Hotel Tub.
I do not do this frequently, but it happens I take a bath. For example last year in January when I had a bad cold, I first took a very hot bath after work and then went to bed after throwing some Pseudoephedrine-pills. Worked wonders, was able to get back to work with my customer the next day with no problem..,

Greetings - Dirk
Old May 17, 2015, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DL-Don
Absolutely no desk in mine.

Website shows this picture:

and room description says:

Furniture and Furnishings
  • Chair, oversized
  • Alarm Clock
  • Desk, writing / work, electrical outlet
  • Iron and ironing board

Maybe it is just false advertising because the wine wasn't there either.
Hmmm, that table with the desk chair sure looks like a desk to me. Granted it is on the small size.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.