Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2015, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool ,

Originally Posted by DL-Don
The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms...

...and get off my lawn, you damned kids!

I gotta agree, sometimes the idiot designers go for fru fru crap over function, like the stupid glass walled bathrooms or the ridiculous square backed chairs with no armrests which are useless to sit in just because someone thinks they "look good."
Old May 16, 2015, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by djk7
Any glass bathroom door seems like a horrible idea. Sometimes my wife accompanies me on business trips and sleeps in when I have to go in early. The bathroom door should block as much noise and light as possible.
YES!! I couldn't agree more. It seems like so many business hotel chains are trying to be "cool" and "sexy" with these ridiculous opaque sliding glass doors that are not functional and disturb the other person who's trying to sleep at 3 AM while whoever is in the bathroom does their business.

For the love of God hotel chains -- PLEASE put in (or keep) closing, locking doors that block out ALL light and noise from the bathrooms. And while you're at it, please keep the showers fully enclosed with either a curtain or doors. No more of this permanent half-barrier glass nonsense that keeps the ambient air freezing cold when trying to take a shower!!
KRSW likes this.
Old May 16, 2015, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Executive
I've also stayed at the SFO Airport Waterfront a lot lately and am not so sure about the new rooms. The glass, sliding bathroom door, as discussed, is not great. I also seem to remember that the closet no longer has a door at all. As long as I keep getting rooms with great airport views - I'll suppose I'll live.
Old May 16, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If I'm paying for a FS hotel I expect things like a desk and closet etc. On biz trips I spend a LOT of time working at the desk. I don't want to look @ my clothes hanging out in the open ala motel six.
Exactly. We're all paying money for a hotel room and, as the customer, there's nothing wrong with expecting the hotel to fulfill their end of the agreement by providing a clean, comfortable, safe, and functional environment. If I want Motel 6 I'll get a room there and adjust my expectations accordingly. The OP wasn't whining about not getting chocolates on the pillow, and shouldn't be subjected to cat-calling by the FT peanut gallery. :-)
Old May 16, 2015, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Try the Radisson Blu Rome. Here's the bathroom.

Old May 16, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Man, that's ugly!
Old May 16, 2015, 6:38 pm

WTH?!?
Old May 16, 2015, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by DL-Don
They appear to have pulled out the tubs here and replaced them with walk-in showers. One positive in a sea of negative.
The tubs weren't great but at least it was a tub for those who prefer a bath.
KRSW likes this.
Old May 16, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I will always check room pix before ever booking a room again from the Marriott chain.
Old May 16, 2015, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by ito717
I've also stayed at the SFO Airport Waterfront a lot lately and am not so sure about the new rooms. The glass, sliding bathroom door, as discussed, is not great. I also seem to remember that the closet no longer has a door at all. As long as I keep getting rooms with great airport views - I'll suppose I'll live.
Was there a desk?

Can't remember ever staying in a marriott branded property with no desk.

A picture from the OP would have been nice. The SFO Marriott website still shows the old rooms with desks (of which I have stayed at many times).
Old May 16, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Agree with the OP. A room should have a desk. That'll be a deal breaker for me for a hotel room. Glass bathroom door? Also not nice.

Better be careful and remember if you pulled the blinds open during the day and then take a show (or use the toilet), you can be seen.

But maybe that's the idea of the design. A hotel with transparency.
Old May 16, 2015, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
The Stuttgart Marriott is similar - no work-desk and no office-chair, just a movable desk in a height that suggests to sit on the sofa to work, but then there is no power outlet near that location.

I discussed this with one of their Manager's, and I was told I could get one of their conference rooms if needed to get work done for free. This was their response when I challenged the sanity of the decision to get rid of the work-desk in their rooms - they claimed it was in response to a survey where travelers overwhelmingly responded that a desk in the room was not needed.

Greetings - Dirk
Old May 17, 2015, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by djohannw
...when I challenged the sanity of the decision to get rid of the work-desk in their rooms - they claimed it was in response to a survey where travelers overwhelmingly responded that a desk in the room was not needed.
Yes, 100% of travelers that never use a desk responded that they didn't need a desk.
Old May 17, 2015, 3:08 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: LeClubAccorhotels Platinum, M&M FTL
I am not a Marriott person, but I noticed this thread highlighted on the front page and cannot agree more. Many a hotel room requires an urgent update, but quite many of those are focused around wrong priorities. They just throw in some modern-looking fixtures and furniture (often prone to premature wear - did any FF&E person ever approve those), and the lack of a proper work desk is a total disaster.

On a totally contrarian note, one of my fave hotels (not a Marriott I know) is the Mercure Berlin Checkpoint Charlie, whose design is totally disgusting, but the room arrangement close to ideal:

The desk is quite large, the power outlets are there, the TV rotates to serve both bed and desk (I believe you can plug in your device in as well) and the coffee machine is at hand. My only gripe is the lack of a proper office chair, but the one supplied is actually quite comfortable and well-adjusted to the desk height.

While the Mercure's rooms are quite large, you can have a similar arrangement in a much smaller room, like @ Mercure Milano Solari:

One of the reasons some Mercures do so well is that the chain imposes minimal design restrictions on its hotels. This one misses the office chair as well, though...

...which brings me to the modest Holiday Inn Express hotels. One of the common feature of the new room design in those is a very comfortable and modern office chair:

(this one is actually an Ibis Styles, rebranded soon after launching, but the rooms are formatted exactly to the HIExpress standards).

If the lowly HIExpress (and Hamptons as well for that matter) can do that, why should I pay extra for a full-service hotel only to get a room where I can't work?
Old May 17, 2015, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Tizzette
The tubs weren't great but at least it was a tub for those who prefer a bath.
I can't imagine why anyone would ever take a bath in a Hotel Tub.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.