Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Hong Kong, 2014-present

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Hong Kong usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads

Broad summary of the Hong Kong Marriott brands is as follows:

Luxury
The Ritz-Carlton, Hong Kong - Superb full harbour views, good quality restaurants on-site and the world's highest bar (Ozone, that has up to a 20% discount for elite members that actually makes it reasonable value). Negatives would be price and location is in Kowloon (i.e. not ideal for tourists).
St Regis Hong Kong - New (in 2020), great quality rooms, excellent service in the hotel and restaurants, views are more standard and location is a little less convenient, but on the Island in Wan Chai and near the Exhibition Centre. Hotel restaurant l'envol offers quality French service and food and has two Michellin stars. Near the newly opened (2022) Exhibition MTR station with walking under cover (one stop from Admiralty or Hung Hom), or walk from Wan Chai (approx 10 minutes).

Mid-range
JW Marriott Hotel Hong Kong - Ideally placed for tourism and likely business, built in an MTR complex with a luxury mall underneath. Small rooms with a good view of either the harbour or a hillside, but compensated with an excellent lounge and breakfast. Somewhere to spend time outside of the room. Not hugely changed since 1980 but a classic hotel with excellent on-site restaurants and a newly renovated/larger lounge than the version prior to COVID.
W Hong Kong - Quirky, next to the Ritz Carlton and with an outdoor pool. On-site restaurants are more limited but in a good location. A nice alternative to the Ritz if you want to explore Kowloon, or are under 30. Good weekend champagne brunch.
Renaissance Hong Kong Harbour View Hotel - More of a convention centre hotel, but with nice uninterrupted harbour views and reasonable room sizes. A little far from public transport but with walkways to get you to Wan Chai or Exhibition Centre MTR stations fairly rapidly (mostly under air-con).
Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers - Huge hotel that historically had a separate "Towers" side (now being removed) and one of the worst lounges in the Marriott network (now improved) with poor elite recognition, but relatively large rooms and close to public transport, museums, shopping in Kowloon and the star ferry. Has had an ongoing refurbishment from late 2022 that appears to be addressing historic quality problems, but this is underway as the wiki is updated. As of March 2023, the "lounge" is on the second floor opposite the reception desk. It's open noon to 6:30pm only, with cocktails/food from 4:30pm-6:30pm and guests are allowed in for only one hour (enforced). There is no lounge opportunity for evening dessert/coffee.
Le Meriden Cyberport - Large rooms, nice staff, in the middle of nowhere (by HK standards) and very consistent brand standard, including a lounge. You will need to get a taxi to any sight or location unless you are visiting the tech companies in the area. Refurbished and reopened in November 2022, and has a shuttle to the Airport Express MTR/Central once an hour.
Hong Kong SkyCity Marriott Hotel - Next to the airport, far away from the city (on the MTR or Airport express via a shuttle bus) but excellent evening buffet and ideal to explore Lantau or visit friends (aircrew) in Tung Chung. You can't walk to the airport due to ongoing construction work, even if it looks like it is only a 5 minute walk, it isn't.
Hong Kong Ocean Park Marriott Hotel - Huge pool and ideal for children. Rebranded to a resort to limit elite benefits. Worthwhile for a long weekend away or when visiting Ocean Park. Close to the (less convenient) Ocean Park MTR for tourists. Good restaurants on-site, not much in the local area.
Sheraton Hong Kong Tung Chung Hotel - New hotel that opened in December 2020, more designed for shopping or being close to the airport (via taxi or hourly shuttle bus), good facilities and pool. Far away from the city centre in a residential area.

Boutique
The Mira Hong Kong, a Member of Design Hotels™ - Not so close to public transport (approx 10 minute walk from Tsim Sha Tsui MTR), limited elite recognition but good for the bars of Tsim Sha Tsui (TST) and Kowloon. A better place to head to after a day of shopping in Kowloon or a heavy night out in TST.
Mira Moon Hong Kong, a Member of Design Hotels™ - Close to the shopping of Causeway bay, good rabbit based romantic hotel with sizeable bathrooms and real baths but limited restaurant facilities in-house. Refurbished in July 2022.
The Park Lane Hong Kong, Autograph Collection - New, and not yet opened. In 2025 it is expected that we will get a new Autograph, a conversion from the current Park Lane Hotel, Pullman. The hotel has a great bar and view. Let's see what happens

Value
Courtyard Hong Kong Sha Tin - generally agreed to be the best value Marriott in town with an excellent executive lounge, great value rooms and good elite service. However far from town (45+ minutes on public transport) and designed for those who want to visit Sai Kung or relatives in the new territories.
Hong Kong Island Hotel | Courtyard Hong Kong - Reasonable location and good value business hotel that isn't that far from central or the MTR, but is ultimately not very distinctive. Offers a good breakfast for elites and a small executive lounge more focused on drinks than food.
Ovolo Southside, Hong Kong, a Member of Design Hotels™ - Excellent value and close to Ocean Park. Near the MTR and with a well respected local Mexican restaurant. Offers a 3 hour social hour (free flow with food) if you book direct, a hidden gem. At points has been fully vegetarian as well.
Four Points by Sheraton Hong Kong, Tung Chung - A combined building with the Sheraton Tung Chung, so very similar with some shared facilities but more basic rooms.

Typical responses from those who live in Hong Kong:
I want the best hotel money can buy: Ritz Carlton (views) or St Regis (service)
I want to save money: Ovolo Southside (qirky) or Courtyard Sha Tin (far away)
For business: JW Marriott (Hong Kong Island) and W Hotel (Kowloon)
Airport Stopover: The Sky City Marriott is in the airport complex (accessed via shuttle bus) but realistically you could head to the Ritz Carlton or W Hotel on the airport express in under 30 minutes. Alternatively the Sheraton Tung Chung, and cheaper Four Points may offer more reasonable rates and are only 10 minutes taxi to the airport in an area where a lot of Cathay staff live, or use the airport shuttle bus (link).
Theme parks: Disney is not close and arguably the Sky City Marriott or Sheraton Tung Chung/Four Points Tung Chung are closest, but would need a taxi. Staying at the W or Ritz Carlton may be preferable and using the MTR to get to the park (one change). For Ocean Park you have the Ocean Park Marriott (Resort) or Ovolo Southside within walking distance or the JW Marriott is only one MTR(metro) stop away and more central for other sights.
Staycation: Ritz Carton (on-site restaurants), St Regis (service, two good if pricey restaurants), Courtyard Sha Tin (bargain) or the Ocean Park Marriott (pool for children)
Space: Le Meriden Cyberport, but only because it's in the middle of nowhere (though this is subjective, as it's about 20 minutes in a taxi to central)...
Undiscovered gem: Maybe the Ovolo Southside but ultimately this is Hong Kong so you can't really expect a bargain, it's an efficient capitalist market after all!....

**Staying in China**
Note (pre-COVID) you could save serious (USD100s+) by staying in Shenzhen though this would involve crossing an international border and would only work for those who wanted to visit China and had a visa. With the border reopening this is an option, for example the St Regis Shenzhen is typically great value with free-flow executive lounge privileges on the 100+ floor or staying at the Four Points in Shenzhen is less than a round of drinks in Hong Kong and offers an unlimited dim-sum lunch for less than 20USD pp. Getting a visa isn't as easy as pre COVID though, and the China "visa on arrival" scheme can be over subscribed, leading to long queues. If you have a China Visa though this could still be an option, though it will take approximately 2 hours to get from the Shenzhen StR to the centre of Hong Kong (made up of approximately 20 minutes metro in Shenzhen, up to one hour of border/visa processing time, then 40 minutes on the MTR to Admiralty station)

**Quarantine FYI**
In December 2020 the Hong Kong government agreed a list of quarantine only hotels for what became part of the world's strictest quarantine regimes with at points any person entering HK needing to spend 3 weeks in a hotel. A number of Marriott hotels took part in this programme at varying points until hotel quarantine was removed in late 2022. The "new" Four Points in Tung Chung didn't open for normal guests until after the end of quarantine, and at time others were on/off the list, including the high end W, then the Ocean Park Marriott, Renaissance, Ovolo, Mira Moon and so on. Of the Marriott brands, only the JW Marriott and Ritz Carlton never took part.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Hong Kong, 2014-present

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Madone59
I'm heading to the CY Friday. Anyone know how long the A12 takes from HKG? According to the map i'd want stop #5.
Thought i'd answer for FTers in the future. It's about 30-40 minutes, really easy and stops literally at the front door of the hotel. Also if you are looking for a great meal, there is one less then a block away. Turn left out of the hotel on Water, cross the street at the light and walk right onto Des Voeux Rd. Dinner is on your left

I thought the CY was great, the elite lounge on level 6 was just fine, with a decent breakfest offering. I was really impressed by how nice the showers/ bathrooms were. I think they are nicer than the JW ones.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: GS, Marriott Titanium LT, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
I wish Marriott had a hotel in TST. They could approach one of the independents like Mira and make them an AC property.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 1:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by spotfin
I wish Marriott had a hotel in TST. They could approach one of the independents like Mira and make them an AC property.
It was one of the saddest days of my life when the New World Renaissance Kowloon (used to be on Sailsbury near the Space Museum with the Intercontinental on the other side) announced it was going to close. They used to have rooms as cheap as 800 HKD throughout the week. It was a tired property but the location was amazing.

Before SkyCity, the New World was my go to property in HK. What a shame that it's gone now.

Last edited by mjcewl1284; Oct 31, 2015 at 3:34 am
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by nacho
I stayed at the Sky City, CY HK and CY Sha Tin (the new one out of reach by tourists). I'm from HK so this is my 2 cents:

Skycity - The rooms are US standard, but a lot nicer. As gold we got upgraded to a room on the club floor. The lounge is big (but not as big as Shanghai City Centre), but food offerings looks good but doesn't taste nice (food was a lot nicer in Shanghai city centre). Service was so so. Location is hopeless unless you are going to the grand Buddha or disneyland or HKG. Citygate outlet mall is a tourist trap and prices are much worse compared to Europe.

CYHK (stayed back in 2013)
Super small rooms, poor breakfast (you know that they were trying their best to save $) and lounge food. Serious wear and tear. I don't like the district so much, very few food places offer food after 9pm. If you want to eat late you have to take a tram towards Kennedy Town. I went out by bus/tram everyday (my friend lives very close to the CY and she told me that the MTR saved her 10 minutes compared to bus/minibus). Bus connection is good - you can get to most places by bus.

CY Sha Tin (stayed 2 times recently)
The only drawback is the location - if you are a tourist. If you dare to take a bus, the bus stop right outside the hotel brings you to a lot of different places including the airport. The hotel shuttle takes you to Tsim Sha Tsui. The hotel is located in an industrial area so there is very few things around the hotel. However there is a 24 hours MCD and a supermarket (closes at 9pm) share the same building as the hotel and a circle K right next to the hotel. The lounge food is nice, not bombastic but ok. My friend who likes to eat also goes there for their buffet. The lounge is now closed due to renovation (they want to convert the top floor into restaurant + bars to generate income, the CP in Kowloon has done that and it's their money machine). So because of that we were able to try their buffet breakfast which is a lot nicer than the one in the lounge. I talked to the lounge staff and they said they don't know if they continue to offer breakfast at the restaurant when the lounge is re-opened again. They are not doing any new thing at the lounge so don't get your hopes up.

If you have kids and you want to share a room with them, avoid CYHK.

About the Ren - right now right outside the hotel there is a big construction going on because the government is building a highway by the coast to ease traffic jams.
Thanks. Was considering the CYHK but after hearing your description of the locale... thinking I may avoid. Is it just a 'dead' area or a business area that is closed up at night? Seems to be a new Metro station 7 minutes away now... so perhaps it's easy to get to other livelier places for dinner now?
Old Nov 21, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: GS, Marriott Titanium LT, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
It was one of the saddest days of my life when the New World Renaissance Kowloon (used to be on Sailsbury near the Space Museum with the Intercontinental on the other side) announced it was going to close. They used to have rooms as cheap as 800 HKD throughout the week. It was a tired property but the location was amazing.

Before SkyCity, the New World was my go to property in HK. What a shame that it's gone now.
We may soon catch a break. I am hoping that Marriot will convert the Sheraton TST to a FS or JW. It's a great location and close to an MTR station.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 3:27 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Madone59
Thought i'd answer for FTers in the future. It's about 30-40 minutes, really easy and stops literally at the front door of the hotel.
The A12 website says the ride is 100 minutes. But I assume that is for the whole ride (end to end). I assume your 40 minute estimate is from the Courtyard to Airport, correct?

Also - is says the bus starts at 5:30am and runs every 25-30 minutes. Is it generally on time (trying to estimate which one to catch returning to airport)?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
It's pretty reliable. I also like that it drops you right at the front door of the check in counters. Saves the walk from the train.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:58 am

Arriving in Hong Kong December 10th at 7 AM. I figure by the time we get off the plane, immigration, etc.. I'll get to the hotel around 10 am (?).

Assuming they are not busy, will I have any issues checking in that early?

Also, this is my first stay anywhere as a gold member. Is there anything I should know, or do, or ask for?

Thanks.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Arriving in Hong Kong December 10th at 7 AM. I figure by the time we get off the plane, immigration, etc.. I'll get to the hotel around 10 am (?).

Also, this is my first stay anywhere as a gold member. Is there anything I should know, or do, or ask for?

Thanks.
You should know that your treatment as a Gold will only go downhill, after staying at this property! (great breakfast at the buffet.)

Not sure about checking in that early. Perhaps someone out there can answer this.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti

Thanks.
Which property?

I cannot imagine any of them will take 3 hours to get to.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Which property?

I cannot imagine any of them will take 3 hours to get to.
Yes, I would expect to be at JW (for example) within 60-90 minutes of hitting the gate.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:44 pm

Sorry, just realized I didn't include the property. Courtyard Hong Kong.
This is a last minute, low budget trip, so no JW for me. I wish I had the points......

So anyways, Courtyard it is. (Paying cash, about $150 usd a night).

Last edited by returnoftheyeti; Nov 28, 2015 at 9:06 pm
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Yes, I would expect to be at JW (for example) within 60-90 minutes of hitting the gate.
Same for the CY. Get off Airport Express. If CY bus isn't there and getting ready to leave (every hour, on the half hour except for lunch break and after 9:30pm, IIRC), take a cab. It's only about $5USD
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:41 pm

Early in the morning on non-holiday weekdays, the CY shuttle bus is used to transport guests to offices in the Central/Admiralty area. While the bus does stop at the Hong Kong MTR station at around 8:15, 9:05, and 9:35am on non-holiday weekdays, it does not return directly to the hotel. Instead, the bus continues on to other office buildings in the area. The hotel's website has the full shuttle bus schedule.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by spotfin
We may soon catch a break. I am hoping that Marriot will convert the Sheraton TST to a FS or JW. It's a great location and close to an MTR station.
But this will start when, late 2016 to early 2017?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.