Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

What does a complimetary upgrade mean anyway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What does a complimetary upgrade mean anyway?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
In my experience Marriott very firmly delivers on its upgrade policy, both as a gold and plat. I'm upgraded most stays, not to suites of course, but larger rooms, corner rooms, view rooms or concierge rooms (as happened yeaterday at Ren LHR). Of course it may help that almost all my stays are 1 or 2 night only, I'd imagine hotels might Blanche at a 4-week elite upgrade!
The problem in those situations is that the FDC doesn't actually tell the person they've been upgraded and even if they did, as has been said a lot of times it's hard to tell the difference. But I'd imagine particularly for someone who isn't familiar with the hotel they're at if more FDC's said "I put you in one of our larger rooms", etc. it would make more people feel like they were actually "upgraded."

As has also been said, seems like people who actually ask for the upgrade will often get them, and a lot of people that complain about never getting them never actually ask.

As far as OP goes, assuming they didn't check in too early and OP knew the room was still available for sale, if OP asked for it there's not that good of an excuse for the hotel to back down. But I do understand if they don't want to give it to OP ahead of time.

From the T&C OP quoted:
Complimentary Room Upgrade: Based on room availability at check-in and limited to a Member's personal guestroom. Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suites. All upgrades are granted on a space-available basis, as determined at the time of check-in. Upgrades are subject to availability and identified by each hotel.
T&C's specifically say "subject to availability/space-available basis" and the space is available. Sure, technically the hotel could say "well, that's only available for sale" but when they're running out of time to sell it they don't have much ground to stand on.

Personally, I've had my best luck (although admittedly I don't ask much either, but don't usually care) at limited-service hotels, I guess it's the big fish in the small pond mentality, but on multiple occasions I've gotten some pretty nice rooms at FI's/SHS's.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I just don't like the fact that you have to ask for what they are supposed to give you. I got Mr. to ask - he was very very reluctant to ask but then he found out that it works and it makes me happy, he starts asking.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:33 am
Suspended

FWIW, the OP -- without advising anyone with respect to the outcome of his request for assistance -- appears to have received a 2 BR suite at the property. I can only imagine that based upon his status, they provided the upgrade at check-in which is when compliance with the rules should occur. As noted earlier, they were not required to give him this upgrade, but they appear to have done so anyway -- notwithstanding the fact that the OP could have and should have informed us of the ultimate disposition of his request.

See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24708508-post16.html
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by GoPhils
The problem in those situations is that the FDC doesn't actually tell the person they've been upgraded and even if they did, as has been said a lot of times it's hard to tell the difference. But I'd imagine particularly for someone who isn't familiar with the hotel they're at if more FDC's said "I put you in one of our larger rooms", etc. it would make more people feel like they were actually "upgraded."

As has also been said, seems like people who actually ask for the upgrade will often get them, and a lot of people that complain about never getting them never actually ask.
Great post. Spot on.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by GoPhils
I stand by that 100%. I always try to ask in advance, and the only time I haven't gotten an upgrade when I've asked is when I can tell the hotel is very full.

And the posters earlier who said there is no incentive to upgrade or take care of someone, that is absolutely false. One of the hotel's top goals is to maximize revenue. If all the $200 rooms are booked, upgrading a PLT to a $400/night room may improve revenue as the $200 becomes available and is more likely to be booked.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
I stand by that 100%. I always try to ask in advance, and the only time I haven't gotten an upgrade when I've asked is when I can tell the hotel is very full.

And the posters earlier who said there is no incentive to upgrade or take care of someone, that is absolutely false. One of the hotel's top goals is to maximize revenue. If all the $200 rooms are booked, upgrading a PLT to a $400/night room may improve revenue as the $200 becomes available and is more likely to be booked.
This is not what I was told by a FD at a CY in Hong Kong. The hotel used to upgrade Plats to suites if the stay is only for 1 night. However the GM decides that the hotel should get the Plats to pay for the upgrade to generate the revenue rather than 'giving' them the suite for free. So they are doing what most hotels in Germany/Europe are doing - 1 category upgrade. If you want an upgrade, pay for it - that's what I was told by the FD and there is nothing they can do.

This is clearly not matching the T&C for Plat bennies in Asia because suites are available and you don't get it unless you pay.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by nacho
I remembered that RI 2BR was excluded in the comp. upgrade for elites:

Quote:
"For Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites, upgrades from studio to 1- or 2-bedrooms are not guaranteed."

I found this in a post at Marriott Insiders back in 2010. They put the wording slightly difference nowadays.
The language you refer to was eliminated from the terms and conditions a couple of years ago. But, even then, I never understood the significance, because no upgrade at Marriott is "guaranteed" unless you pay for it.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ohmark
The language you refer to was eliminated from the terms and conditions a couple of years ago. But, even then, I never understood the significance, because no upgrade at Marriott is "guaranteed" unless you pay for it.
It was in the T&C, so was the 1 Cat upgrade (it was in the German T&C) - and yes Marriott upgrade is never guaranteed unless you pay for it - but then if you pay for it, what's the point of being their loyal customer?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by nacho
It was in the T&C, so was the 1 Cat upgrade (it was in the German T&C) - and yes Marriott upgrade is never guaranteed unless you pay for it - but then if you pay for it, what's the point of being their loyal customer?
The one category upgrade language was also in the U.S. T&C's, and also eliminated a couple of years ago.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ohmark
The one category upgrade language was also in the U.S. T&C's, and also eliminated a couple of years ago.
CY Hamburg, Bremen and Hong Kong are still using this as term for upgrading elites.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Complimentary Upgrade: They tell you how great you look while giving you a room with a slightly better category.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hhoope01
While the kids are grown and out of the house now, I used to call the Plat line and ask them to call an RI to see if they would be willing to pre-upgrade us to a 2-bedroom unit (on an award stay.) Most wouldn't, but some would and I would then make the reservation right there and then. ^ If they didn't, I wouldn't yell and scream, I'd go on down the list of other possible places to stay and see what I could get.
)
I have done the same thing at least 10 times. If it’s busy I understand but if you holding at 10% occupancy for next week, why not upgrade a Platinum or Gold to a significant upgrade like a 2 bdrm (the cost to clean the bugger room is minimal)? Building goodwill makes sense to me. I have returned many times to RIs that have upgraded me in the past even when I didn't need or knew I for sure wouldn't get an upgrade. It is called building loyalty. I go back every few months to a certain RI in MN for this exact reason, even if it's more inconvenient in terms of location.
As always staying for 1 night greatly increases the shot of getting a significant upgrade. Also, I have been upgraded many times at RIs to 2 bdrm suites by the fd clerk upon check in when I asked nicely (again almost always for 1 nighters).

Last edited by toooldtostayoutlate; Apr 25, 2015 at 12:51 pm Reason: typos
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:58 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
25 weeks Marriott Marquis SF, never upgraded.
Interesting. I've stayed at this property several times both paid and points stays, and I've always been upgraded to a Suite if one was available. Of course I also always put the request in the comments section, and if I don't see the upgrade before check-in, ask again at check-in.

The desk clerk usually comments something along the lines of "I think you'll really like the surprise we have for you."
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Complimentary Upgrade: They tell you how great you look while giving you a room with a slightly better category.
lol

I will say this about Marriott, their employees are exceptionally well trained to tell you how much they appreciate your loyalty before telling you that they're "booked full" and there is no upgrade available. Then they add, "but we do have a beautiful mountain/garden/city view room for you!" (Translation: you'll be looking at the parking lot and/or loading dock.)
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by Kacee
lol

I will say this about Marriott, their employees are exceptionally well trained to tell you how much they appreciate your loyalty before telling you that they're "booked full" and there is no upgrade available. Then they add, "but we do have a beautiful mountain/garden/city view room for you!" (Translation: you'll be looking at the parking lot and/or loading dock.)
That's why I always check out availability right before I check in if it's a hotel I'm hoping for an upgrade and haven't been upgraded in advance. If there is a nicer room that I didn't get upgraded to I politely say something like "What about a suite that's still for sale on the website" after asking "Are there any suites available tonight"? Half the time it's an in-op room (I take them at their word), the other half of the time the room was "overlooked".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.