Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Modifying a reservation - why do I bother being platinum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Modifying a reservation - why do I bother being platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't know about Hilton, but you don't get SPG Ambassador status for just $40,000 spend on their credit card; it requires 100 nights.

Note also that most programs require 50 nights or 25 stays, for example Hyatt Diamond or SPG Plat, not just 20 or 25 nights.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Some hotels have early departure fees, typically about $50 in the USA.
The only time I've had an early departure fee apply was when I checked out of the hotel room early, but well after any "late-checkout" time.

Went like this:

- 6pm: call from home to get home on next flight.
- 6:02pm: change flight to 10pm red-eye
- 8pm: go to front desk, tell them I'm checking out tonight instead of Noon the next day. Front desk charges me $100 for staying beyond noon and does not charge me for the last night.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
All of the posts about leaving early without a problem makes my point. It's not a major issue. Thus when a platinum "elite" (lol) member calls the platinum elite line they should just take care of it. I was confident once I got to the hotel that I could tell them I would leave early and there would be no issue. However, I am a planner and like to have everything organized ahead of time.

It's just one more example in my mind that this status stuff is pure garbage. If status meant anything they would just solve your problem when you call. It's so easy to attain "status" now with most hotels that most everybody is among the highest two published categories for most hotel chains. It's too easy. 20 nights in a hotel, a credit card, and a couple misc bonuses or credit card spend and boom you are there. For Hilton and Starwood, I believe you only have to spend $40k a year on your credit card to attain the highest published status. With everybody attaining status they don't do anything for you anymore.
Been saying, predicting this for years with all the rollovers and promo tie-ins, "when everyone is special, no one is special". Properties must be starting to revolt, a FS I've been going to for years simply refuses to adjust the quantities after the influx of Gold & Plts invading the lounge. One plate of cookies and done by 8pm.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
So it's hotel specific based upon that reservation, time, location?
In my experience working in hotels, early departure fees are generally instituted during periods of extreme demand due to special events. Although the language was included on all reservations, I only recall us enforcing it during the NCAA basketball tournament and the year one of the national political conventions was in town.

The hotel in which I worked were business-oriented properties in the downtown area. We'd never consider charging a business-traveler an early departure fee.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't know about Hilton, but you don't get SPG Ambassador status for just $40,000 spend on their credit card; it requires 100 nights.

Note also that most programs require 50 nights or 25 stays, for example Hyatt Diamond or SPG Plat, not just 20 or 25 nights.
I don't know about Ambassador status. The SPG website has plat, gold and some lower levels. You achieve gold for a $30k Amex annual spend. A few months spending for many business owners. Hilton is $40k to achieve Diamond status.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:45 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
I don't know about Ambassador status. The SPG website has plat, gold and some lower levels.
SPG has various "levels" of Plat status. It is somewhat analogous to Marriott's Plat Premier level (except that Starwood has officially defined exactly what it takes to get each level and has official defined benefits for reaching each of those levels.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.