Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Modifying a reservation - why do I bother being platinum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Modifying a reservation - why do I bother being platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Often1
If you want to break the rules, call the property directly. It makes no sense to call someone whom you know does not have the authority in order to have them act as your proxy.
Personally, I don't see it so much as breaking the rules as much as dealing with a shortcoming of the product. Not being able to change an existing rez and having to cancel everything and start over is a failure of the website in my opinion. As long as the new rez is within the terms of rate booked (min/max LOS and the such), then it should be allowed.

Being a member of MR does give the MR reps the ability to act on my behalf (especially if I'm calling them to do so) and expecting them to contact a property about an issue in not unreasonable. Being told they can't/won't devalues the membership.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Admission: I didn't read every single post in this thread...but I read the OP and this post. I don't agree with your assessment-in all cases. Sometimes, Marriott room rates will require a weekend night stay to include weekend pricing. Marriott Dulles Suites is one such property. Sunday-Thursday the place is $279/night-like clock work. Friday and Saturday are $79/night-again like clockwork. BUT, If you want to stay Thurs-Saturday or Saturday-Monday, you can get the Thursday or Sunday night for the weekend rate of $79/night.

So if you have a Thurs-Saturday reservation at $79/night and call to cancel the Friday night stay, they reprice Thursday to $279.00. I have experienced this myself. I just keep the two nights in place and leave Friday.

That might not completely be what's happening here, but changing the nights being stayed can certainly impact the rate.
Maybe, but I thought a lot of times it will say something to the effect of (and I just booked one like this) "Your rate differs over the course of your stay: Sunday $199, Monday-Tuesday $249"

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
I actually understand that things like hotel nights come with contractual terms. I have no problem with the fact that the length of my stay might change my rate. I get it. I am moderately intelligent by most standards. All I am saying is that if being platinum means anything then the CSR should actually try to resolve my problem. It was easy to resolve, once I called the hotel directly, but it took me a lot of unnecessary time... primarily started with a completely wasted to call to the platinum line. If they want to make me feel like my "status" means anything then they should try to help. I call and ask for help about once every 2 or 3 years so I don't think it's that much to ask for them to have fixed my problem right away... or at least given a reasonable effort to fix it. I should add, though reasonably intelligent, I don't get your cereal bar hypo.
As far as this point, I don't call the plat line much either but I've usually had good success with them trying to solve my problem for me. I think almost every time I've called the hotel directly with a question about my reservation they transfer me to the corporate reservations line (without telling me and just saying "hold on a second")
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
All I am saying is that if being platinum means anything then the CSR should actually try to resolve my problem. It was easy to resolve, once I called the hotel directly...
As I tried to explain in an earlier post, it's possible that the Central Reservations CSR did contact the hotel. It's just that they didn't get the resolution you wanted.

Later, when you called the hotel directly, you probably talked to a different person who (for whatever reason) decided to make the change. That may have happened because that person didn't check the rate/stay restrictions. Or, those rate/stay restrictions had been removed.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:49 am

Programs: UA MP, Southwest RR
I typically modify my reservations after checking in if I need to shorten my stay. I have never encurred a rate increase doing it that way.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:47 am

Programs: LH HON, Marriott Platinum, ...
Originally Posted by solenita
I typically modify my reservations after checking in if I need to shorten my stay. I have never encurred a rate increase doing it that way.
Same here...
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Personally, I don't see it so much as breaking the rules as much as dealing with a shortcoming of the product. Not being able to change an existing rez and having to cancel everything and start over is a failure of the website in my opinion. As long as the new rez is within the terms of rate booked (min/max LOS and the such), then it should be allowed.

Being a member of MR does give the MR reps the ability to act on my behalf (especially if I'm calling them to do so) and expecting them to contact a property about an issue in not unreasonable. Being told they can't/won't devalues the membership.
you don't have to cxl the res and restart....
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by GoPhils
Maybe, but I thought a lot of times it will say something to the effect of (and I just booked one like this) "Your rate differs over the course of your stay: Sunday $199, Monday-Tuesday $249"
I have seen that too. But in the example I gave, the hotel extends the weekend rate to Sunday or Thursday if you are staying Friday or Saturday. That's a different situation.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:01 am

Have you had any issues doing this since the new 24-hour cancellation policy went into effect?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by GoPhils
Have you had any issues doing this since the new 24-hour cancellation policy went into effect?
If it's just being shortened, that's not really a cancel is it? My guess (and it's only that) is that the majority of shortened stays happen on the back end vs. the front end. Although I have a stay coming up where I'm cutting off 2 days of the stay at the front end, so guess I'll find out then if it affects my rate. I intend to call the property directly though.

Cheers.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If it's just being shortened, that's not really a cancel is it? My guess (and it's only that) is that the majority of shortened stays happen on the back end vs. the front end. Although I have a stay coming up where I'm cutting off 2 days of the stay at the front end, so guess I'll find out then if it affects my rate. I intend to call the property directly though.

Cheers.
Not sure. I was always under the impression that shortening a reservation was pretty much just "canceling" whatever days you weren't using anymore. So previously if in most cases the cancel time was 6:00 day of arrival that wouldn't be an issue, just curious if anyone has run into any issues trying to do that in 2015 (although I guess if everyone can't do that apparently Plats should be able to).

Edited to add: I guess as long as you let them know a day early it wouldn't be an issue (if it would have even been an issue to begin with). But a lot of times in the past when I have left a day early I wouldn't know if I could actually leave until that day and thus would be "cancelling" my room for that night.

Last edited by GoPhils; Mar 26, 2015 at 8:11 am
Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some hotels have early departure fees, typically about $50 in the USA.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Departure fee? Never heard of that. Never modify a reservation, just call front desk and tell them you have to check out early. The night before for example. I could see resorts charging for that but not city FS Marriott's. Also high demand area's like Disney, SD, SF, Hawaii, Paris, London, etc.. Also I could see it on a pre-paid reservation.

Is there a link confirming this a hotel specific fee or a generic fee for all MR members or even non-members.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some hotels have early departure fees, typically about $50 in the USA.
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
Departure fee? Never heard of that. Never modify a reservation, just call front desk and tell them you have to check out early. The night before for example. I could see resorts charging for that but not city FS Marriott's. Also high demand area's like Disney, SD, SF, Hawaii, Paris, London, etc.. Also I could see it on a pre-paid reservation.

Is there a link confirming this a hotel specific fee or a generic fee for all MR members or even non-members.
The rez confirmation should state if an early departure fee applies. IME these do not apply until you check in and confirmed your check-out date. Although the fee is not usually disclosed.

The only time I've had a property try to assess this was due to a fire in the area and the smoke was causing me breathing problems. FDCs were unwilling to waive so I spoke with the GM. Knowing they needed rooms for local evacuees and my status, he did waive the fee. Of course, YMMV.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Left hundreds of reservations a day early, hundreds, never heard of it or never had it applied on my bill. Let front desk know that plans changed and got to go. Maybe I have been lucky but I am not kidding here, hundreds.

So it's hotel specific based upon that reservation, time, location?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:01 am
Original Poster

All of the posts about leaving early without a problem makes my point. It's not a major issue. Thus when a platinum "elite" (lol) member calls the platinum elite line they should just take care of it. I was confident once I got to the hotel that I could tell them I would leave early and there would be no issue. However, I am a planner and like to have everything organized ahead of time.

It's just one more example in my mind that this status stuff is pure garbage. If status meant anything they would just solve your problem when you call. It's so easy to attain "status" now with most hotels that most everybody is among the highest two published categories for most hotel chains. It's too easy. 20 nights in a hotel, a credit card, and a couple misc bonuses or credit card spend and boom you are there. For Hilton and Starwood, I believe you only have to spend $40k a year on your credit card to attain the highest published status. With everybody attaining status they don't do anything for you anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.