Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2001, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, DL Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC
No Platinum Arrival Gift. Standard Practice?

I've just become Platinum for the first time. In three separate stays, at the same Renaissance Hotel, I have not yet received a Platinum arrival gift.

I get the upgraded room to the concierge level. I get the two bottles of spring water. I get the cr*ppy bathrobe. What I don't get is a Platinum arrival gift--whatever that is (chips and salsa? A mini-chocolate bar?).

Now, this is REALLY no big, huge deal--I obviously haven't stopped staying here. However, I was wondering if it's fairly common NOT to receive a Platinum gift. If it's something that is more or less at the hotel's discretion, then I'll keep my mouth shut. If it's something that I'm supposed to get, then I'll probably just drop a note to the manager.

Any thoughts?
Old Jan 9, 2001, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
It's supposed to be waiting for you, but often it is not. Sometimes housekeeping brings it with them at turn-down time, but if your room has a "do not disturb" sign, you miss out. If you rejected the first room offered at check-in, your Platinum box may have been left there. Sometimes, they just forget.

Anyway, if you want it -- and like you say, it's no big deal -- just call housekeeping, and they will bring one immediately. In the U.S., you almost always get two more water bottles and some standard snack food.

Bruce
Old Jan 9, 2001, 7:01 am
GG

JohnnyGlobal,

Since you asked: you now get The Box. In the last few years they've "standardized" the Platinum gift considerably, with the implications that phrase usually carries... It consists of 2 bottles of spring water, some salsa/"gourmet" bean dip or suchlike, some (usually) low-fat chips, a couple of Pepperidge Farm or similar cookies in a mini-package, and the dreaded micro-mini pack of dried fruit.

'Sfunny - I agree with you completely that it's no big deal, yet it is annoying when it doesn't show up. You always feel so nit-picky asking about something like The Box. But we often do say something - usually the day after we check in, just a word to the front desk works. If they're going to make a deal out of it, and list it as a Platinum perk, then they should deliver. Also (true confession time) we're occasionally too busy to get any other food during the day, and the snacks do keep me going, so sometimes it's a bit more than just the principle.

If it happens repeatedly, yeah, a note to the manager couldn't hurt. An otherwise good property deserves a chance to fix its problems, and a good GM will want to know when there's a glitch like this.

Old Jan 9, 2001, 9:03 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Been Platinum for over a year; other than two stays have always got the platinum box. Some hotels used to have some 'local' flavor, but now they've almost all standardized to the same crap.

Still, something I'm glad is there after a late flight in.
Old Nov 19, 2001, 12:49 pm

Bring this thread back up...
I have never gotten a platinum gift, then again, ever since I became Platinum I have been staying at the same RI. Also, most of these RI guys don't know how to zero out accounts, and the ones who know, don't speak English.

------------------
Si Hai Wei Jia
Old Nov 19, 2001, 3:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta Million Miler, Hertz President's Circle
I am a Marriott Platinum and I haven't seen a welcome gift since September 11th. In fact I had forgotten about them until I read this thread!

Old Nov 19, 2001, 4:08 pm

Hot and Cold since the 11th. (Platinum since July)

Out of about 30 stays since the 11th, no Box for about 5 stays. I don't even use it except for the water.

At the Rennaince at Times Square, I used to get a plate of cookies and a large bottle of Evian. Haven't seen that in a while.

-BT
Old Nov 19, 2001, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, DL Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC
I've actually had good luck getting the "gift" lately, and both times since 9/11 (PHL Marriott & Chicago Renaissance). I am getting pretty sick of seeing that silver box, as it always contains the same, tired, old junk. The bottled water is the most useful item, and for that, I guess I should be thankful.
Old Nov 19, 2001, 9:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
At the Ottawa Marriott, I have generally, but not always had to ask for The Box. It's delivered quickly and then Housekeeping rewardsme with extra chocolates on my pillow. Lately, they seem to have run out of platinum boxes. I get gold ones - no chips, no salsa. Oh, the rigors of travel...
Old Nov 19, 2001, 9:50 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
Re: The Box

I have received the box on my first night while staying at the Louisville (Ky) Marriott, Ontario (Ca) Marriott, Seattle Sea Tac Marriott, Renaissance Seattle (Madison), and Chicago OHare Marriott. The only one that didn't leave "the box" was the Fullerton (Ca) Marriott.

All of these stays were in the past 3 months,most were after 9/11

My wife got a handful of chocolate at the O'Hare Marriott -- she liked being a "Mrs Platinum" :-)
Old Nov 20, 2001, 2:12 am
R&R

It has been so long, since I got the 'box'. that I forgot all about the welcome box on checkin.

Old Nov 20, 2001, 3:19 am

Location: Mesa, AZ USA - UA Prem Ex- SPG Gold - Hilton Diamond - Marriot Platinum - Avis Chairman - National EE
Out of 35 stays at various properties in the past year I have gotten the crappy Platinum Arrival gift about 60% of the time.

An earlier poster was right...you feel like a nit-picker calling the manager to get a gift each time you check in.

What is more important to me is that I ge t upgraded to concierge with each stay and that I get first choice in quiet rooms. That is worth a lot more in terms of being a Platinum as opposed to the Platinum arrival " gift"

------------------
Art

UA Premier Exec
Continental Gold Elite
Marriott Platinum
Hertz Presidents Circle
Old May 2, 2002, 10:32 am

New Platinum Arrival Gift

Picked up the following in e-mail today:

"New Platinum Arrival Gift! Platinum members, keep an eye out for your new arrival gift, the next time you check-in to a North American Marriott or Renaissance hotel, resort or suites. Instead of receiving a pre-packaged snack as you have in the past, you'll now be greeted by a menu which offers you a selection of beverages and snacks from which to choose. Once you're settled in, simply call room service when you're ready, and the items you've chosen will be personally delivered to your room!"

Old May 2, 2002, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT->GLD|HH Gold|SPG PLT->GOLD|HGP Gold|MR Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ual1k:
Picked up the following in e-mail today:

"New Platinum Arrival Gift! Platinum members, keep an eye out for your new arrival gift, the next time you check-in to a North American Marriott or Renaissance hotel, resort or suites. Instead of receiving a pre-packaged snack as you have in the past, you'll now be greeted by a menu which offers you a selection of beverages and snacks from which to choose. Once you're settled in, simply call room service when you're ready, and the items you've chosen will be personally delivered to your room!"

</font>
This has been discussed in at least one other thread, but since I just got to the Renaissance Waverly in Atlanta and have the menu in front of me, I thought I'd share...

Side 1:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Dear Valued Platinum Marriott Rewards Member,

In an effort to extend a more personalized welcome to you, we are pleased to offer you an array of arrival gift items from which to choose. It is our way of saying "Thank You" for your loyal patronage of Renaissance. We hope that you find having this type of choice better suits your individual desires.

Please call Room Service when you are ready to make your selection. Thank you for choosing Renaissance, we appreciate your business.</font>
On side two:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Choice of one of the following:
  • Coke, Diet Coke or Sprint (2)
  • Bottled Water (2)
  • 1/2 bottle of Meridian Merlot (1)
  • 1/2 bottle of Meridian Chardonnay (1)
  • Sam Adams Boston Lager (1)

Choice of one of the following:
  • Cheese and crackers
  • Premium mixed nuts
  • Pint of ice cream
</font>
So you choose one from the beverages, and one from the snacks. To me, this is much better... it means that when I order my dinner from room service, I'll get my drinks and ice cream for free!
Old May 2, 2002, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
As a Marriott Plat who has not yet gotten the card and as a Hyatt Diamond who has become accustomed to a full bottle of good Chilean wine along with the likes of a club sandwich, top quality cheese plate, crudites, or a large basket of fruit, it seems from the desriptions that the new MT amenity suffers a bit. But never forget that many Hyatts do not have a Club, and almost all the Marriotts do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.