Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold vs. Platinum in Asian hotels

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Gold vs. Platinum in Asian hotels

I've dropped down to Gold level this year, and have a few trips to Asia coming up, mostly Hong Kong, but there will be Singapore and Shenzhen also.

Is there a big difference between Gold and Platinum when it comes to perks like room upgrades and breakfast and/or CL access, in that part of the world?

Here in the US it seems the main difference is the bonus points.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: MR Platinum, Aer Lingus GC, BA Bronze, Turkish Classic Plus
I've stayed as a Platinum in Asia in the last few years and perks have been lounge access and one or two suite upgrades but mostly just the room I booked, maybe with a better view/floor. Really depends on the hotel though - in 5+ stays at JW Bangkok, I got one upgrade to concierge level (which didn't look all that different to the standard room) and in two free stays at JW KL I got a suite. I do get a 20% food and beverages discount in some hotels but not sure if this is plat perk.

China: I recall some kind of Platinum fast pass where I was met at the door and taken straight to my room for check in but I was in a few China hotels last year and it didn't happen.

Hong Kong: The first time I stayed in JW HK I was gold and got a corner room upgrade and a 6am checkin which were both excellent but haven't noticed any difference in treatment as plat aside from the welcome gift/extra points. In the Courtyard HK I got an upgrade to a water view.

My memory isn't great as to when I was gold/plat but tried to recall my experiences as best possible!
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:52 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I've been on FT for several years now and this kind of subject asking about treatment gold v plat has come up. The general concensus has always seemed to be that outside North America, there's really no difference between gold and plat treatment.

Both Gild and Plats are small enough in numbers to be upgraded. Certainly as a European who has been both Gold and Plat I found no discernible difference in upgrade outcomes, upgrading Gold and Plat elites is the norm here. I find Im upgraded the vast majority of my stays, though they are "soft" upgrades, larger rooms, concierge floor, corner rooms, suites remain unusual. I fact my best suite upgrade came as a gold staying for a week at the Autograph Boscolo Budapest!

In answer to your question, I doubt you'll see much difference between Gold and Plat in the Far East, though regrettably I can offer no direct experience to back that up
Old Feb 26, 2015, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I have stayed in HK CYs a lot of times, what I can tell you is that it doesn't matter whether you are G or P. The main difference is the points you earn and the PAG. If you are only staying for 1 night, chance of getting a suit is highish. For longer stays forget about more than 1 category upgrade unless they really messed up.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:54 am

Can only agree with previous posts. It doesn't seem to make any difference if Gold or Plat form my experience in HK, China and Singapore.

However their treatment of any Gold or Plat member from personal experience is absolutely outstanding. I've very rarely not been upgraded, usually to a suite. The manager ( or proxy) makes an effort to write a welcome note and is keen to ensure you are happy. Its all very humbling and blows any experiences I've had in Europe or the US out of the water. Absolute hospitality at its best.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Thanks for the input. I've stayed at several of the Marriott hotels in HKG over the last couple of years, as a Plat, and the service was indeed outstanding.

Looks like it should still be good as a Gold as well. I was trying to decide if using 45,000 points to buy back Plat is worth it, it seems it's not, at least to me.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:52 am

Programs: AC S100K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Thanks for the input. I've stayed at several of the Marriott hotels in HKG over the last couple of years, as a Plat, and the service was indeed outstanding.

Looks like it should still be good as a Gold as well. I was trying to decide if using 45,000 points to buy back Plat is worth it, it seems it's not, at least to me.
Just spent 31 nights over January / February at the JW Marriott in Shenzhen as Plat. Aside from the first 5 nights, where the hotel was completely sold out for some convention, I was upgraded to a suite the entire time. Was never upgraded to a suite as Gold member. Just sayin'.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by pifloyd
Just spent 31 nights over January / February at the JW Marriott in Shenzhen as Plat. Aside from the first 5 nights, where the hotel was completely sold out for some convention, I was upgraded to a suite the entire time. Was never upgraded to a suite as Gold member. Just sayin'.
Stayed there a couple of years ago, no upgrade as Gold.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Platinum; Marriott Rewards Gold; SPG Gold
I'm a new gold. Called in advance and got upgraded to the club floor at JW Marriott Bangkok. Previous poster was right, it's not much different from the regular room and I actually heard doors banging till 3 am at night.

When I asked for late checkout on a Friday, I was told that the hotel was overbooked for the day but that they were letting me checkout at 2pm instead of noon due to my status (not sure if they were saying that just to make me feel special).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.