Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
All 37 Delta properties are now fully integrated into the Marriott program for points earning/burning & other elite bennies.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Acquires Delta Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2015, 12:51 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Been a Delta Privilege Platinum Plus member for years as I love the Delta Brand and the lucrative AP points with AC and the perks through the Delta Privilege program. Hiltons HH is my European and US choice.

Looking forward to see if the Marriott will keep and expand these benefits or drop them all together? If Marriott keeps and expands the program then I will need to be loyal to only one brand!
Old Feb 3, 2015, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I t seems unlikely they would keep a separate loyalty program.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Been a Delta Privilege Platinum Plus member for years as I love the Delta Brand and the lucrative AP points with AC and the perks through the Delta Privilege program. Hiltons HH is my European and US choice.

Looking forward to see if the Marriott will keep and expand these benefits or drop them all together? If Marriott keeps and expands the program then I will need to be loyal to only one brand!
What are those benefits (without abbreviations please)?

Whether Mariott keeps the benefits and whether Marriott keeps the program are two separate questions, but you seem to be mixing them up.

Marriott is not likely to keep a separate program long-term. However, since Marriott benefits already vary by brand, some of the benefits might continue in the Marriott program for the Delta brand. But it would easier for us to guage that if we knew what those benefits are (since only then could we compare them to Marriott benefits at various current Marriott family brands).
Old Feb 3, 2015, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.deltahotels.com/Delta-Pr...fits_141119_en

The credits look interesting, but also the least likely for Marriott to keep.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 6:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by ricski64
The property in Victoria, BC has I believe the best views of the inner harbour, Government building and The Empress. Rooms are a little tight and you are slightly away from the main tourist areas ( but walkable) but there is access to a small beach and walking path. Restaraunt/lounge on site are good. They may have a problem though if they decide to rebuild the Johnson Street bridge as that is the main access to the area.
Just noticed the Delta Ocean Point underwent a full renovation of public spaces and guest rooms so is a decent deal with great views as you say.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
https://www.deltahotels.com/Delta-Pr...fits_141119_en

The credits look interesting, but also the least likely for Marriott to keep.
Oh, also the levels don't match up with Marriott very well in terms of nights requirements, and they have a stays option (at half as stays as nights), which Mariott doesn't have. So I bet many Delta members will find they drop in status once Marriott status rules take effect, beyond just the benefits for a particular level of status changing.

For example, complimentary breakfast is at 15 stays (which if all one-night stays, would be just barely Silver at Marriott!), or 30 nights, while Marriott only gives complimentary breakfast (at many but not all brands) with Gold, which requires 50 nights (or even 35 nights if you get the boost from the Chase credit card, but is that card avialble in Canada?). I wouldn't be surprised if Marriott gives its Gold/Plat complimentary breakfast at Delta hotels, but I doubt they'll lower the earning requirements for Marriott Gold to match Delta's earning requirements.

And the program seems to be very Canada-specific with all that Aeroplan stuff. Marriott's heavy airline partnership is with United, and it hasn't up to now partnered with different airlines in different countries.

Did any of the hotels Marriott previously acquired, such as AC or Gaylord, use to have their own elite programs?
Old Feb 6, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
For me, that will be a big deal, will they stay ONLY with UA or because of the Canadian purchase will they offer a choice between AP or UA?

I like to double dip so if Marriot will only offer UA, I would then switch 100% to HH as they offer a choice, I would be able to double dip there with both HH points and AP Points. My 60 nights annual stays would be with only one brand which will make things easier I guess.

...I am sure going to miss Delta Hotels, might as well enjoy my possible last year, too bad, that was a 30 year relationship.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
For me, that will be a big deal, will they stay ONLY with UA or because of the Canadian purchase will they offer a choice between AP or UA?

I like to double dip so if Marriott will only offer UA, I would then switch 100% to HH as they offer a choice, I would be able to double dip there with both HH points and AP Points. My 60 nights annual stays would be with only one brand which will make things easier I guess.

...I am sure going to miss Delta Hotels, might as well enjoy my possible last year, too bad, that was a 30 year relationship.
My guess (and it's only that) is that it will still be UA only. And as long as your 60 nights are in locations where Hilton is (Hilton 15 properties; Delta 38+Marriott 22 = 60 properties) your switching to Hilton for double-dipping makes sense. You'd also have Diamond status w/ Hilton if you stay only with them.

I don't think Marriott's acquired another company with its own elite program. Hmm, it might have but think it was probably way back when when elite programs weren't as prevalent. Maybe they'll "grandfather" in or status-match for a year the Delta members like some of the airlines do?

Cheers.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Despite its close partnership with United, you can earn miles/transfer MR points to other airlines, including Aeroplan. Indeed, the Aeroplan website is promoting the current MegaMiles promo.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For miles-only earnings, yes. They already do, as noted above.

But the Delta site linked above implies (it's hard for me to figure out for sure) that elites earn AP miles in addition to Delta's own points. Is that true? If so, I doubt that will happen at Marriott, since even with UA, that only happens to a very limited degree with sporadic promos (there was one last summer/fall for 1k UA miles up to 5 times for stays booked within a short window of time).
Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:14 am

Actually Delta does not have any points, you can't earn free Delta stays with the Delta rewards program, only Aeroplan miles and different benefits based on number of stays.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Marriott Acquires Delta Hotels

it sounds similar to the Fairmont program
Old Feb 8, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: MR Gold, IHG Gold AMB
I was quite hopeful when reading the news about this acquisition but looks like the only Delta's ski hotel is Whistler Village Suites and even that one isn't ski-in ski-out… Right? Any comments from our Canadian experts? I found Delta's webpage rather evasive in describing how close some of their hotels are to the slopes.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 12:03 pm

No, no ski in, ski out, however, Whistler is pretty close, definitely walking distance. Banff is close to Sunshine and Kanaskis is the closest hotel to Kanaskis (by a lot), but both still require driving to the ski resort.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 12:07 pm

As a Delta Platinum Plus privilege member each stay gives me $1,500 AP plus another 250 AP as I choose AP over the welcome snack. so 1,750 AP per stay which according to Delta's tracking system shows my earnings at 436,450 AP over the last several years which is nice.

As mentioned, Delta has no points, just the privilege program and their association with AP.

I will be watching the coming events as the two companies become one, we know 2015 will remain business as usual and I do expect what Marriot will be offering me their top tier program for 2016.

I guess I have to wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.