Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
All 37 Delta properties are now fully integrated into the Marriott program for points earning/burning & other elite bennies.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Acquires Delta Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:20 pm

This is indeed fabulous news for us Canadians! It was slim pickins to use my Marriott points and/or earn points up here in Canada. The BEST addition, I will agree, will be the Delta in Whistler!

One question, though: the press released noted that Affiliates of B.C. Investment Management own 13 of the Delta hotels and will sign new 30-year management agreements with Marriott, and third parties own the other 25 Delta hotels including 15 that are managed by Delta and 10 are that franchised. I am not sure how to interpret this? Does that still mean that ALL 38 are being taken over, but that just differently depending who they are currently owned/managed by?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by pokee
This is indeed fabulous news for us Canadians! It was slim pickins to use my Marriott points and/or earn points up here in Canada. The BEST addition, I will agree, will be the Delta in Whistler!

One question, though: the press released noted that Affiliates of B.C. Investment Management own 13 of the Delta hotels and will sign new 30-year management agreements with Marriott, and third parties own the other 25 Delta hotels including 15 that are managed by Delta and 10 are that franchised. I am not sure how to interpret this? Does that still mean that ALL 38 are being taken over, but that just differently depending who they are currently owned/managed by?
Three "legs" on the hotel "stool" so to speak:

1. Property (real estate) ownership
2. Brand (Marriott / Delta)
3. Management

So a hotel could be owned by a real estate company (say Cadillac Fairview), branded Delta, Marriott, Sheraton, etc, and managed by a third party (say an independent hotel management company. My guess is Delta will "sell" their management staff (all staff actually) to Marriott for the managed hotels, and Marriott will manage those hotels regardless of who owns the real estate. Franchises probably keep the same deal they had, just a new flag.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, Marriott Bonfire Titanium, Hilton Gold, United Premier Silver, Hertz PC
Fantastic news. I've always hated how Marriott didn't have any properties in Banff and Whistler. I wonder what will happen to the delta Privilege members... Now that I'm looking at it, their benefits seem very good
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:50 pm
alc

Another person very happy of this move. Whether Delta come just a brand with Marriott or change to another one of the existing Marriott brands, I just love the move. I wonder if they will import my stay history from Delta over to Marriott, as that might give me lifetime status right away (Gold, maybe). I used to stay at Delta only and made Plt and later Plt+. But the reality of a Cdn only chain hit me and that I need to go with worldwide chain to help my vacation outside of Canada.

Anyway, very happy of this news.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
Great news actually......was always hoping Delta would partner with a global provider so I could leverage Delta status outside Canada. Though it might go back to Fairmont though but Can't wait for a Marriott Status Match lol
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:41 pm

I got an email from Delta Privilege stating this:

Dear Delta Privilege® Member,

As you may have seen in news reports, Marriott International, Inc. has entered into a purchase agreement to buy Delta Hotels and Resorts. The transaction is expected to close in the second quarter of this year, subject to certain approvals.

Delta will be joining Marriott International’s portfolio of 4,100 properties in 79 countries, providing you with one-stop shopping for worldwide hotel accommodation and many more opportunities for loyalty program earning and award redemption around the world.

More information will be coming in the weeks ahead on how Delta Privilege will evolve. In the meantime, with the new benefit year around the corner, Delta Privilege will continue as per the current program conditions. Details of your 2015 membership will be sent in late February as per the usual benefit year timing.

It is business as usual in all respects for Delta Hotels and Resorts. Booked and new reservations continue to be honoured. Your favourite properties continue to operate as a Delta hotel. And most importantly, our 6,500 colleagues across the country continue to welcome you and deliver on our promise to Expect Even More® every day.

I want to express our heartfelt thanks to you in helping to build Delta into Canada’s leading full-service hotel company. Stay tuned for more details in the weeks ahead.

Sincerely,

Ken Greene
President and CEO
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:37 am

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by ricski64
This will be great for us using YYC. The Delta at the airport was scheduled to move to the new terminal upon completion now we can have a spanking brand new Marriott with Tarmac views similar to Fairmont at YVR. ^^
I thought that this was to be a second airport hotel? Or were they completely shutting down the existing hotel? That's a pity, that leaves a long walk to the new one. Also, wonder what will happen with the space.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Aeroplan, Best Western, IHG Rewards, AAdvantage, Executive Club
For the most part, I think this is a good move. Having more international options instead of only domestic options has a lot of pros to it.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Now if we could just get Marriott to buy something in New Zealand

Cheers.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:38 am

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Now if we could just get Marriott to buy something in New Zealand

Cheers.
^ That would be nice!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
This is good news!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Long Distance
This is good news?
I would guess a large number of corporate employees are asking the same question....

Last edited by mjmqm; Jan 28, 2015 at 1:45 pm
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:40 pm

Nice to see Marriott, nice new property they get in the Edmonton Arena district as well.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Between this and the AC brand, Marriott is becoming quite the global force. I may have to start paying them a little more attention and a little less to Hilton.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
Between this and the AC brand, Marriott is becoming quite the global force. I may have to start paying them a little more attention and a little less to Hilton.
And don't forget Protea too!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ny-africa.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.