Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phuket, Thailand

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phuket, Thailand

Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:17 pm

Any Phuket travelers here?

Hi. I'm considering a trip to Phuket soon and would like some input on the Renaissance Marriott vs the JW from travelers who have *recently* been to either and/or both. I'm trying to determine which property is better.

Thank you!
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:47 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ailand-92.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...hailand-3.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ce-needed.html
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:06 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
What specifically do you want to know? Will be there on Monday - Friday of next week. I've been to both in the past, stayed at both, stayed at both the timeshare and hotel (JW). Stayed in Villa rooms at the Ren.

What kind of update are you looking for? Do you want my personal preferences? Or something specific?

Billy

Last edited by Delta3MM; Jan 8, 2015 at 3:36 am
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
It's a long thread, but you should check out the thread on Marriott props in Phuket. I've been to each of them over the past 2.5 years, JW 1x, Renn 2x (and JW KL 1x), my immediate response is that I prefer Renaissance over JW in Phuket and flip flop between Renaissance and JW KL. I was there at all of them with my fiancee now wife. Ren prop is a bit smaller, a bit fewer amenities/FBOs than JW, but my experience is that the staff were more hospitable. We were upgraded to a Villa last time for 3 out of 5 nights on an award stay and it seems from others experiences that they upgrade Plats there more than at the JW. You can take the shuttle between the props if you want to try the other F/BOs.

F/B is more expensive at the properties, but if you do have a car, or go offsite into Phuket town or any of the smaller communities, eating is dirt cheap in Thailand. There is a small mall close to the JW property with restaurants, but I think they were priced against the resorts in the immediate vicinity.

If you go to any of these properties, I would also recommend checking out the day tours that can be arranged through the concierge, great experiences.

We liked JW KL because the beach access was better and I think the staff were even more hospitable. The pool there is awesome too. We went to BKK over the holidays... And realize that I still need to plan another trip to to JW KL. JW KL is a bit more of a trek from HKT - need to definitely prebook transportation or get a car to get out there. It's a nice drive - but when going there the first time, I took a wrong turn and ended up close by to Krabi before turning around.

(for the other longer term posters, what the heck happened to the resident Thailand expert BKKLEE - did he get kicked off FT for good?)
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:37 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Heading to the Renn in Phuket today at the end of our 3 week holiday.
I'll post me experience.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
Just returned this past Tuesday from Thailand, and had spent a week in the time share that adjoins the J W. I really love this property. I have also stayed at the Ren, a few years ago, and was upgraded to a lovely big suite on a paid night, not one on points. The Ren is smaller, newer, more modern.

Either one is a great place to stay.

The location of the J W is slightly better, as it is within walking distance to the Turtle Village, where you will find food and shopping, and it is less expensive than on the J W property. There are free shuttles from both hotels to the Turtle Village all day long. It's just a bit further to ride if you are at the Ren.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Heading to Ritz in Krabi Tuesday for four nights then Beach Club in Phuket for 7 nights.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:01 am

Checked in today at the Ren.....WOW....upgraded to a villa with our own pool on this points stay as a Gold. So far so good!!
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:10 am

If I go to the JW, I plan on getting one of their ocean-facing suites with a private pool and/or hot tub.

I suppose I'm looking for location and overall quality of the resort.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by rplume
If I go to the JW, I plan on getting one of their ocean-facing suites with a private pool and/or hot tub.

I suppose I'm looking for location and overall quality of the resort.
There are only about 6 of these. They only exist on the the lower floor, at the end of the corridor, and there are only three corridors. Of course, there is the private 3 bedroom "house" but that is very expensive.

The Ren has something like 18 villas, including one two bedroom villa. About 4 of these open out toward the ocean ( not on the ocean, but you could open the gate and see the ocean.

The JW marriott suite you say you are going to book is much larger than the Ren villa, but the villas are nicer and newer. Noting wrong with the JW though, it is my preferred place to stay.

I'll be a the timeshare portion next week.

Billy
Old Jan 9, 2015, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Delta3MM
There are only about 6 of these. They only exist on the the lower floor, at the end of the corridor, and there are only three corridors. Of course, there is the private 3 bedroom "house" but that is very expensive.

The Ren has something like 18 villas, including one two bedroom villa. About 4 of these open out toward the ocean ( not on the ocean, but you could open the gate and see the ocean.

The JW marriott suite you say you are going to book is much larger than the Ren villa, but the villas are nicer and newer. Noting wrong with the JW though, it is my preferred place to stay.

I'll be a the timeshare portion next week.

Billy
Looking at the map, I count 26 villas and it shows 1 - 3 bedroom villa.
According to someone I was talking with this morning at breakfast, they were built 6 years ago.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Tomphot
Looking at the map, I count 26 villas and it shows 1 - 3 bedroom villa.
According to someone I was talking with this morning at breakfast, they were built 6 years ago.
Hence the work "like" meaning about. I was there when they were building it, stayed there a couple of times since and was going from memory, not a map.

I still think the JW only has six pool suites (since these are ground level only), excluding the villa. Again, this is going from memory.

Point is, there are a lot more villas at the Ren with pools than the suites at the JW, but the JW suites are larger, as is the JW property. However, your ability to upgrade at either depends on how many are unused when you arrive, how long you plan on being there, and your status as well as probably many other factors.

Billy
Old Jan 10, 2015, 2:16 am

Hence the work "like" meaning about. I was there when they were building it, stayed there a couple of times since and was going from memory, not a map.

I still think the JW only has six pool suites (since these are ground level only), excluding the villa. Again, this is going from memory.

Point is, there are a lot more villas at the Ren with pools than the suites at the JW, but the JW suites are larger, as is the JW property. However, your ability to upgrade at either depends on how many are unused when you arrive, how long you plan on being there, and your status as well as probably many other factors.

Billy
An interesting data point.....I logged onto the Marriott site a few days ago before my visit to check on reservation. My room type was showing Villa a least 3 days before my award stay.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Tomphot
An interesting data point.....I logged onto the Marriott site a few days ago before my visit to check on reservation. My room type was showing Villa a least 3 days before my award stay.
In the past for most of my stays, I don't see upgraded room types until the day of check in. Now that cancellation is at least 24 hours, I've started seeing room upgrades appear a day or two before. They block off rooms, and start sorting what their occupancy rate is and go down the list upgrading those at the top.

Personally, I'd rather have 6PM cancel and not know room upgrade in advance. I mean, even if it says you are upgraded, they can pull that away from you right up to the point you actually check in.

Billy
Old Jan 10, 2015, 3:54 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
We were at the JW in Phuket over Thanksgiving.
We're upgraded to the ocean front pool suite and it was just phenomenal

We were there lasts year too but it was Christmas and upgrades were hard to come by

We prefer the JW. From what the manager told me there are only 4 ground floor ocean front suites

The ones on the 1st floor have jacuzzis in them

Billy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.