Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Property is a resort, so Autograph Collection resort benefits apply.

Confirmed list of benefits for Marriott Platinum Elite (and higher) members:

— Welcome Gift of 1000 Marriott Bonvoy points (per stay) OR continental breakfast at Manta Restaurant for member +1 (per day). See post 595 for a recent report of the elite breakfast benefit.
— Eligible for an upgrade and late check-out, if available.
— High-speed internet

Confirmed list of benefits for ALL Marriott Rewards Members:

— Free wifi (3 devices max, also extends out to the beach area)
— 10% discount on breakfast buffet at Manta Restaurant (3/29/21 unsure what is offered as there is no buffet)
— 10% discount for MKBH's twice-weekly Luau dinner and show
— 2 comp rental club sets with 2 paid rounds for golf
— 2 comp tennis racquet rentals

Maximum # in room is THREE (which is strange for a family property), but multiple calls to property have confirmed this/they're holding to it.
02-02-2024 Website now says 3rd and now 4th adult in room is $95 extra per person
Parking:

— Electric car charging stations: 4, For a fee
— On-site parking, fee: 30 USD daily
— Valet parking, fee: 30 USD daily

Room pictures: https://maunakeabeachhotel.com/accommodations/

Area restaurants: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...ts-thread.html

Print Wikipost

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2014, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

I called. Max room occupancy is 3...They will make exceptions for 2 small children with 2 adults, but it needs to be done directly with the hotel (special permission at the time of reservation). Both my children are under 12, but are 11 and 9....the agent I was speaking to said that may be too old to make the exception.

Also, ownership is remaining the same...only change is the addition of the Marriott affiliation (so people can earn/spend Marriott points). I don't get that...how can they be Prince and Marriott at the same time?
Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by pokee
Also, ownership is remaining the same...only change is the addition of the Marriott affiliation (so people can earn/spend Marriott points). I don't get that...how can they be Prince and Marriott at the same time?
Keep in mind that ownership, hotel management, branding, affiliations, and loyalty programs are all different things. Although some of these are closely related, others are completely independent of each other.

The Mauna Kea Beach Hotel is currently managed by Prince Hotels, branded as a Prince hotel, affiliated with Preferred Hotel Group, and a participant in the iPrefer Loyalty Program.

When the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel joins the Autograph Collection next month, there are likely to be other changes, even though there's no change in ownership or management.

Also, hotels can have multiple brands/affiliations. For example, there are at least nine hotels that are members of both the Kessler Collection and the Autograph Collection.

Last edited by Horace; Dec 27, 2014 at 10:44 pm
Old Dec 29, 2014, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
I don't get that...how can they be Prince and Marriott at the same time?
There's already a hotel that's "Prince and Marriott at the same time." It's this one:
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Horace! I had no idea!
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:48 am

Has anyone had a Gold/Platinum experience they would like to share? I just booked a few nights for June and I am in great anticipation of staying here. :-)
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cwebjohn
Has anyone had a Gold/Platinum experience they would like to share? I just booked a few nights for June and I am in great anticipation of staying here. :-)
Booked a few nights in May - as a MR Plat we're supposed to get a breakfast for member + 1, right? I know it says resorts excluded so that's my only worry...
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Website shows it as a Cat 7 property. Also shows that a 1-night deposit is charged at time of booking & the deposit is non-refundable if canceled less than 14 days before arrival.

Cheers.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by ab_initio
Booked a few nights in May - as a MR Plat we're supposed to get a breakfast for member + 1, right? I know it says resorts excluded so that's my only worry...
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection is a resort.

Regular, non-resort full service properties (Marriott, Renn., JW, and Autograph Collection) provide daily lounge/breakfast benefit to Gold Elite and Platinum Elite (except for a short list of properties that provide daily points instead and are listed in the fine print of the rules).

Resorts are specifically exempt. With a few exceptions, resorts do not have lounges and do not provide breakfast or daily points in lieu of breakfast.

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection offers Stay for Breakfast rates under "Room Packages." Then, of course, breakfast is included. But it's not because of Marriott Rewards status.

If the Mauna Kea turns out to be an exception to the rule, please let us know.
Pocatello likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Horace

Regular, non-resort full service properties (Marriott, Renn., JW, and Autograph Collection) provide daily lounge/breakfast benefit to Gold Elite and Platinum Elite (except for a short list of properties that provide daily points instead and are listed in the fine print of the rules).

Resorts are specifically exempt. With a few exceptions, resorts do not have lounges and do not provide breakfast or daily points in lieu of breakfast.

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection offers Stay for Breakfast rates under "Room Packages." Then, of course, breakfast is included. But it's not because of Marriott Rewards status.

If the Mauna Kea turns out to be an exception to the rule, please let us know.
This is good to know - thanks for the clarification! So besides free wifi, there are really no benefits to expect for Plats then? Silly me, I thought I might be able to get an upgrade as well =)
Old Jan 19, 2015, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Noone is going to be able to report on upgrades for G/P until they actually stay there as a G/P?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Noone is going to be able to report on upgrades for G/P until they actually stay there as a G/P?
Exactly. Or on any other bennies.

Cheers
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:47 pm

We will be there on points for a 10 day stay in a few weeks. DH is plat. I am not expecting much but will report back on my experience. If anyone has questions on a rewards stay at this hotel please post them and I will see if I can answer or get an answer.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:19 pm
KRS

Originally Posted by Horace
(...)
How do you know, or where do you get this information?

It does not appear to be a resort according to:
https://www.marriott.co.uk/hotel-sea...states.resort/
Alternatively: https://www.marriott.com/hotel-searc...states.resort/

I realize it is strange if it isn't a resort but would be great if it wasn't
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have NO DOUBT it will be a resort.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by ab_initio
This is good to know - thanks for the clarification! So besides free wifi, there are really no benefits to expect for Plats then? Silly me, I thought I might be able to get an upgrade as well =)
Not silly. Platinum/gold upgrades do apply to resorts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.