Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Property is a resort, so Autograph Collection resort benefits apply.

Confirmed list of benefits for Marriott Platinum Elite (and higher) members:

— Welcome Gift of 1000 Marriott Bonvoy points (per stay) OR continental breakfast at Manta Restaurant for member +1 (per day). See post 595 for a recent report of the elite breakfast benefit.
— Eligible for an upgrade and late check-out, if available.
— High-speed internet

Confirmed list of benefits for ALL Marriott Rewards Members:

— Free wifi (3 devices max, also extends out to the beach area)
— 10% discount on breakfast buffet at Manta Restaurant (3/29/21 unsure what is offered as there is no buffet)
— 10% discount for MKBH's twice-weekly Luau dinner and show
— 2 comp rental club sets with 2 paid rounds for golf
— 2 comp tennis racquet rentals

Maximum # in room is THREE (which is strange for a family property), but multiple calls to property have confirmed this/they're holding to it.
02-02-2024 Website now says 3rd and now 4th adult in room is $95 extra per person
Parking:

— Electric car charging stations: 4, For a fee
— On-site parking, fee: 30 USD daily
— Valet parking, fee: 30 USD daily

Room pictures: https://maunakeabeachhotel.com/accommodations/

Area restaurants: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...ts-thread.html

Print Wikipost

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Peter_Ng
anyone knows how strict they are about maximum 3 people per room? I want to take 2 of us adults and a 2.5 yrs old todler and a 1 yr old infant there next Oct. Thanks
Call and ask. When I asked a similar question last year, was told by two separate people that two small children in the room (was booking into "Deluxe" room) was not a problem.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I'm typing this post from my balcony at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, and agree with the previous to advice to call and ask. That being said, when I called and asked about having my 12 year-old and 3 year-old in the room with my wife and I, was bluntly refused. I get the distinct impression the only reason for this strict policy is to actively discourage families (at least cost-conscious ones) from staying here.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Reserved a golf vista room on points for February. Worth a $125 a night copay for a beachfront? Or should I roll the dice on getting upgraded when we arrive?

Also, my reservation says "King or two double". Can I call MR and ask them to confirm a king room?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I'm typing this post from my balcony at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, and agree with the previous to advice to call and ask. That being said, when I called and asked about having my 12 year-old and 3 year-old in the room with my wife and I, was bluntly refused. I get the distinct impression the only reason for this strict policy is to actively discourage families (at least cost-conscious ones) from staying here.
What did you end up doing? Booking two rooms, or just quietly going about your business with the 4 of you in one room? I may be in the same situation next summer, and am leaning toward the latter, so knowing if that doesn't work would be helpful. Thanks!
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by oopsz
Reserved a golf vista room on points for February. Worth a $125 a night copay for a beachfront? Or should I roll the dice on getting upgraded when we arrive?

Also, my reservation says "King or two double". Can I call MR and ask them to confirm a king room?
They do their best to upgrade Plats. Your luck will depend on occupancy. If you're going during Presidents Week, and if view is important, you will be safer paying for it now. Good luck!
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by jeepie
They do their best to upgrade Plats. Your luck will depend on occupancy. If you're going during Presidents Week, and if view is important, you will be safer paying for it now. Good luck!
Thanks. We're going the first week of feb (our ten year anniversary), and hopefully it will be relatively quiet. That's why I picked MK over some of the other options like the westin villas in maui.

View isn't critical by any means so I'm leaning towards rolling the dice and putting the money towards meals and drinks.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by rbw5t
What did you end up doing? Booking two rooms, or just quietly going about your business with the 4 of you in one room? I may be in the same situation next summer, and am leaning toward the latter, so knowing if that doesn't work would be helpful. Thanks!
I booked the two rooms, which actually became an easy choice when we took two au pairs with us (one just finished her year and the other just started, so it offered a nice chance for them to overlap). So our party of six ended up in two rooms, which worked out well.

But I should also point out that the standard rooms seem kind of small (we ended up booking a suite with a connecting regular room). The two beds are not your typical American double beds, more like twins or singles, and even then it would be cramped to add a rollaway to the room.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I booked the two rooms, which actually became an easy choice when we took two au pairs with us (one just finished her year and the other just started, so it offered a nice chance for them to overlap). So our party of six ended up in two rooms, which worked out well.

But I should also point out that the standard rooms seem kind of small (we ended up booking a suite with a connecting regular room). The two beds are not your typical American double beds, more like twins or singles, and even then it would be cramped to add a rollaway to the room.
Thanks so much for the quick feedback. My plan was to do 7 nights on points, and I really don't want to spend the $ (or extra points) for a second room. I might have to go back to the drawing board. The description says 589 sqft, which seems adequately big for us. The hint on the doubles seeming small is helpful. Our 4 year old comes into bed with us all the time anyway, so we might do 1 king, and then pay the extra $80 for a rollaway for the 8 year old. All that assumes we're able to fly under the radar and not get forced into getting a second room. Ugh.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by rbw5t
Thanks so much for the quick feedback. My plan was to do 7 nights on points, and I really don't want to spend the $ (or extra points) for a second room. I might have to go back to the drawing board. The description says 589 sqft, which seems adequately big for us. The hint on the doubles seeming small is helpful. Our 4 year old comes into bed with us all the time anyway, so we might do 1 king, and then pay the extra $80 for a rollaway for the 8 year old. All that assumes we're able to fly under the radar and not get forced into getting a second room. Ugh.
The description says 589 sqft, but that includes the lanai; the actual rooms are more like 400 sq ft. The double beds are small. Your option of king with roll-away sounds like the best way to go.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
The bathroom area is at least 20% of the room as well. I think it would be pretty difficult to fly under the radar...we thought about it as well, but just ended up getting the 2nd room. The double beds are small though...if my wife and I had to share one it would not have been comfortable...and I think my daughters would have fought all night : ) We loved the place and are planning another trip back there 2nd room and all... The one nice benefit of getting two rooms is that they connect via an outer door, which creates about 50 square feet of additional space to leave sand toys, inflatable's, sandy shoes, etc... outside of the rooms and one key opens up the space so no need to worry about having a million keys
Old Oct 29, 2016, 12:12 pm

This has nothing to do with beds, but we had a pretty lackluster stay overall. Multiple service missteps and poorly handled recovery. The hotel manager reached out to me via e-mail, though, saying he was concerned by my feedback (and he personally mentioned some of the items, so I know it was more than a generic, courtesy e-mail) and wants to learn more. He mentioned that he spent ten years at Four Seasons and is trying to bring that level of service to the Mauna Kea, which would be fantastic. The hotel itself is in good shape and has a spectacular location--it was the service and staff attitude that we found needs a lot of work.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:41 pm

also lackluster visit

like DJ_Iceman our visit was disappointing. The beach is perfect, service and room not even close to 5 star. Even a bit of negative attitude from employees. Black grout in the bathroom, and a solid view of cars in the parking lot (not even mountains or palm trees). Won't be staying again.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Somewhat disappointingly this property now wants a $50 upgrade to the Deluxe Golf View room that was available just on points last time I looked several months ago.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Somewhat disappointingly this property now wants a $50 upgrade to the Deluxe Golf View room that was available just on points last time I looked several months ago.
I just started at looking to use a 7 night hotel package cert and saw that. I didn't realize any Marriott hotels made you pay extra when using certs/points. Pretty annoying.

We're trying to decide between Big Island staying at Mauna Kea or Kauai at one the Marriott hotels/resorts there. My wife will be about 5-6 months pregnant at the time with our first child so I'm new to planning these type of vacations where we're not more active. We've been to the Marriott Wailea and really liked that hotel but wanted to try a new island.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by oopsz
Thanks. We're going the first week of feb (our ten year anniversary), and hopefully it will be relatively quiet. That's why I picked MK over some of the other options like the westin villas in maui.

View isn't critical by any means so I'm leaning towards rolling the dice and putting the money towards meals and drinks.
Fwiw, upgraded to a deluxe golf view on check in. Nice size room and huge bathroom with soaking tub and two lanais (one off the bathroom, oddly enough). Hotel is gorgeous and the beach is fantastic. Drinks are pricey so I'm glad I didn't spend money on an upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.