Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

49 nights this year - Any way to earn one more without actually staying in a hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

49 nights this year - Any way to earn one more without actually staying in a hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

I normally pay no attention to hotel reward programs, but it just occurred to me that I am currently at 49 nights for the year with Marriott. It seems like it would possibly be worthwhile to get to 50 for gold status.
I know with airline programs, you can earn plenty of miles without actually traveling. Is there a way to do this with hotel programs? I am literally clueless about them.
Additionally, is gold status even worth it?
Thanks for your feedback...
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by pjpoker
I normally pay no attention to hotel reward programs, but it just occurred to me that I am currently at 49 nights for the year with Marriott. It seems like it would possibly be worthwhile to get to 50 for gold status.
I know with airline programs, you can earn plenty of miles without actually traveling. Is there a way to do this with hotel programs? I am literally clueless about them.
Additionally, is gold status even worth it?
Thanks for your feedback...
Although Gold does have some nice perks when they are available, you might want to strategize a bit here.

1) Yes, you can do one more night this year and have Gold till the end of Feb 2016.

2) Or you can sit at 49 and hope MR grants you Gold till the end of Feb 2016.

3) OR, you can sit at 49 and let MR rollover 39 nights into 2015, then you only need 11 nights to get Gold until Feb 2017!

Keep in mind if you book a meeting, you can get 10 nights, so bundle that with a stay and you're Gold in one night next year (if you choose option 3).
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:10 pm

perhaps it is your birthday today?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Yes, it's worth it for Lounge access if you actually stay at brands/hotels with Lounges and don't have high or picky culinary standards.

Call & ask, they might gift you the free night or offer a challenge.

Or find a real cheap $69 low end Marriott, check in and leave.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Although Gold does have some nice perks when they are available, you might want to strategize a bit here.

1) Yes, you can do one more night this year and have Gold till the end of Feb 2016.

2) Or you can sit at 49 and hope MR grants you Gold till the end of Feb 2016.

3) OR, you can sit at 49 and let MR rollover 39 nights into 2015, then you only need 11 nights to get Gold until Feb 2017!

Keep in mind if you book a meeting, you can get 10 nights, so bundle that with a stay and you're Gold in one night next year (if you choose option 3).
Would they really possibly grant me gold without actually staying a night? Rollover is an idea too... Hmmmm...

And not quite sure what the birthday comment meant, but it is my birthday in a few days...
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Would they really possibly grant me gold without actually staying a night? Rollover is an idea too... Hmmmm...

And not quite sure what the birthday comment meant, but it is my birthday in a few days...
yes, very likely. I am at 48 nights and mine already says I am re-qualified. If you stayed 49 nights the hard way and have bookings into 2015 they'll probably give it to you.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
It has been done. I've had it a few times, but I think more due to my spend and my company (fortune 100 and corporate address on file).
IF you have your birthday listed on your account, you should get an email shortly thereafter with a link to add a free night to your account. So this may all be moot.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), UA Silver, OW Sapphire
It's very likely they will requal you with 49 nights "as a valued customer". I stayed 51 nights last year, but had a situation where an early December 2 night stay did not credit for about 6 weeks. I received an e-mail in late December stating something like "even though you did not reach the qualifying level of 50 nights, we value your business and are requalifying your gold status".

Dave
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Sounds like OP is about to achieve Gold for the first time so a re-qualifying check by Marriott might not help. But a phone call reminding them of how close you are can't hurt!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by RogerD408
This, and then 36 nights in 2015 gets you Platinum.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by joshua362
If you wanted to ensure your status this is what I'd do rather than leave it to MR to bestow upon you the one night's grace to hit Gold. Just MHO.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
Yes, it's worth it for Lounge access if you actually stay at brands/hotels with Lounges and don't have high or picky culinary standards.

Call & ask, they might gift you the free night or offer a challenge.

+ 1. This way you remove any doubt about whether you have qualified. A MR Rep might agree to let you slide at 49 nights, but either might be doing so to simply get you off of the phone, and not really mean it, or be overruled by his manager.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd be tempted to go for the rollover and then try to qualify for Gold early in 2015, which then would be good for close to two years.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd be tempted to go for the rollover and then try to qualify for Gold early in 2015, which then would be good for close to two years.
I second (or third now I guess) that suggestion unless you need the status in January and your travel pattern for next year will sustain gold or plat.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
If MR gives you gold in this case, then I guess you lose the rollover aspect?

Oh well.

Rasheed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.