Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Crosspost from Info Desk: Struggling using Marriott points for trip to Rome

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crosspost from Info Desk: Struggling using Marriott points for trip to Rome

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Unhappy Crosspost from Info Desk: Struggling using Marriott points for trip to Rome

Hello everyone, I am a noob at redeeming points/mileage so hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction.

I've been planning a trip from Miami to Rome on Dec 25-Jan 4 and I can't seem to find the best way to use my points for airfare. I am doing the Marriott Air+Travel package and spent 280k on a Category 6 Hotel and 100,000 mile deal.

My issue has been with the flights. When I purchased the package, I had to select an airline to transfer my Marriott points to. There is a 3-day transfer period to transfer the miles. To my dismay, the miles have not hit my Delta account but the redemption price of the tickets has jumped tremendously.

Am I too late to use this package effectively? Is it worth using the Marriott points? Please advise on any tips you have for me to be cost effective with my upcoming trip. I don't know what I'm going to do when the Delta miles hit my account and I have nothing to use them for.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
You didn't really leave yourself much time to book during a very high travel season around Christmas/New Year. Can you shift your dates slightly? There are 60k roundtrip tickets available on DL for departures of 12/23, 12/24, 12/26, or 12/28, with returns on 1/6 or 1/7.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Definitely a newbie mistake, way late to be booking holiday rewards.

4-8 weeks out is often best pricing on cash fares, but I generally am looking 11 months out for redemptions. :-(
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:58 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by mypetmeatball
Hello everyone, I am a noob at redeeming points/mileage so hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction.

I've been planning a trip from Miami to Rome on Dec 25-Jan 4 and I can't seem to find the best way to use my points for airfare. I am doing the Marriott Air+Travel package and spent 280k on a Category 6 Hotel and 100,000 mile deal.

My issue has been with the flights. When I purchased the package, I had to select an airline to transfer my Marriott points to. There is a 3-day transfer period to transfer the miles. To my dismay, the miles have not hit my Delta account but the redemption price of the tickets has jumped tremendously.

Am I too late to use this package effectively? Is it worth using the Marriott points? Please advise on any tips you have for me to be cost effective with my upcoming trip. I don't know what I'm going to do when the Delta miles hit my account and I have nothing to use them for.
If you can handle the cost, I would set the miles aside and spend some time researching cash fares with an online travel agency like Orbitz, Expedia, etc.

Also, are you aware that DL miles don't expire? There is an awful lot that you can do with 100,000 miles, if not now, later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.