Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free wifi effective January 15

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Wile there are many reasons to beat up on Marriott, this Ian' t one of them. Most are increasing their bandwidth. And not unique to Marriott.

I hate auto correct
I disagree completely. Bandwidth at hotels is a MAJOR issue right now. At peak times the service can be very slow. Adding a lot more users without upgrading the Network will make it not usable. Are you saying you think all the FS Marriotts are out there increasing their bandwidth?

This is Unique to Marriott as they are ones giving out the Free Internet too.

Anyone else think the timing of this is not random after Marriott was skewered for blocking internet access?

Last edited by jr1202sr; Oct 31, 2014 at 6:27 am
Old Oct 31, 2014, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
In Asia Marriott Rewards members have been receiving free Internet the last 2 to 3 years if not longer. I don't feel that the connections are slower or less responsive than the paid Internet connections in the US.

But maybe it will reduce the herds of people going to the lobby for free Internet in the evenings.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
In Asia Marriott Rewards members have been receiving free Internet the last 2 to 3 years if not longer. I don't feel that the connections are slower or less responsive than the paid Internet connections in the US.

But maybe it will reduce the herds of people going to the lobby for free Internet in the evenings.
2 different things here. You are comparing Marriott Rewards members vs Everyone who books directly with the hotel. Those are not the same.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Details on Marriott News section of its website:

http://news.marriott.com/2014/10/fre...worldwide.html

[I]"Marriott announced today plans to provide free Wi-Fi to all 47 million members of Marriott Rewards who book directly on Marriott.com, Marriott’s mobile app, 1-800-MARRIOTT, or through a Marriott hotel. Beginning January 15, 2015, this benefit will make free standard Wi-Fi available across more than 3,800 hotels in the company’s extensive lodging portfolio worldwide.

This new Marriott Rewards benefit will be available at Marriott Hotels, JW Marriott, Renaissance, Gaylord Hotels, Autograph Collection, AC Hotels by Marriott, and Marriott Executive Apartments, as well as Marriott Rewards’ exclusive luxury partner, The Ritz-Carlton®. These brands join EDITION, Moxy, Courtyard, Fairfield Inn & Suites, SpringHill Suites, Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites, and Marriott Vacation Club, which already provide free Wi-Fi today.

Marriott Rewards Platinum and Gold Elite members will continue to enjoy an exclusive benefit – free enhanced Wi-Fi, where available.
Originally Posted by jr1202sr
2 different things here. You are comparing Marriott Rewards members vs Everyone who books directly with the hotel. Those are not the same.
I don't see how the two things are different, in Asia all Rewards members get free internet, now worldwide all members who book through certain channels get free internet. If anything the new offer is more restrictive as the channels are limited, whereas in Asia all bookings are valid.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I don't see how the two things are different, in Asia all Rewards members get free internet, now worldwide all members who book through certain channels get free internet. If anything the new offer is more restrictive as the channels are limited, whereas in Asia all bookings are valid.
One has to sign up for the Rewards program to be a "rewards member". You do not need to be a Rewards Member to book a hotel through Marriott.

I stayed at chain this past year and didn't sign up for their Reward program, bc the chance of me ever staying there again was about 0. Wasn't worth the time. There are tons of people that stay at Marriotts that are not rewards Members for a variety of reasons.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Major flashback

Reading these posts has brought back memories of the dial-up days before everyone travelled with a computer. I was at one hotel back east that actually had a letter in the info binder explaining that they could not guarantee you'd be able to get an outside line during the hours of 5pm - 7pm due to all the people using their room phone to call their ISP. And that included the ability to make emergency calls!

Today, there are times I find tethering to my cell is a much faster solution to using the property provided service. I suspect some ISPs like at&t or Comcast will increase their WiFi signal footprint to promote their service.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
One has to sign up for the Rewards program to be a "rewards member". You do not need to be a Rewards Member to book a hotel through Marriott.

I stayed at chain this past year and didn't sign up for their Reward program, bc the chance of me ever staying there again was about 0. Wasn't worth the time. There are tons of people that stay at Marriotts that are not rewards Members for a variety of reasons.
I think you're misunderstanding either CHP-Flyer or Marriott's announcement or both. In Asia all Marriott Rewards members have had free internet access for a couple of years. Marriott is now rolling that out worldwide.

Marriott is not extending it to every person who stays at the brands (that are now joining the brands that already offer free wifi). Marriott is extending it to Marriott Rewards members only who book through official channels, not to people who stay at a Marriott that don't belong to the rewards program (even if they book through official channels).

Cheers.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:06 pm

At the lower tier Marriotts (Fairfield, Residence Inn, etc) is there tiered-access? I never see it when I log in, but it also says "access code". Anybody ever got faster access?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
I disagree completely. Bandwidth at hotels is a MAJOR issue right now. At peak times the service can be very slow. Adding a lot more users without upgrading the Network will make it not usable. Are you saying you think all the FS Marriotts are out there increasing their bandwidth?

This is Unique to Marriott as they are ones giving out the Free Internet too.

Anyone else think the timing of this is not random after Marriott was skewered for blocking internet access?
Agree for the most part although it varies by hotel IMO. I've been to Fairfield Inns where it's free for all and has worked well and also been at full-service Marriott properties where it has been terrible, even the premium service. Better off using the LTE on my phone at quite a few places.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Originally Posted by s0ssos
At the lower tier Marriotts (Fairfield, Residence Inn, etc) is there tiered-access? I never see it when I log in, but it also says "access code". Anybody ever got faster access?
I've been to a brand new Fairfield Inn in Georgia that offers two tier internet
Old Oct 31, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by GateGuardian
I've been to a brand new Fairfield Inn in Georgia that offers two tier internet
I have stayed at many FFI's that have two tier Internet. For all of them, the enhanced was free for me as a Platinum. I didn't have to ask it was always either never on the bill or automatically credited.

--Jon
Old Oct 31, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joetro
On Marriott Insiders and some twitter accounts, it's being detailed that all Marriott Rewards members will receive free WiFi in Marriott hotels booked through valid channels from January 15, 2015. Gold and Platinum will receive enhanced WiFi.
Not be be deliberately whiny, but the "enhanced" speed I get for free at CYs as a platinum is only slightly above the free speed and barely better than nothing. Sometimes it won't even hold in a simple VPN connection to the corporate office. I can get work done, but it's often a struggle and on some occasions I have to resort to my cell phone as a hotspot. I can deal with it but if I actually paid the $4.95/day for the "enhanced" speed I'd be pretty pissed off.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The offer is for Marriott Rewards members that book through Marriott.com please read the details. It is not everyone booking through Marriott.com

And therefore the tons of non members will not get free Internet. I would say this is more an attempt to get more people to sign up, and generate more repeat business than it is to please existing members
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:27 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Marriott is not extending it to every person who stays at the brands (that are now joining the brands that already offer free wifi). Marriott is extending it to Marriott Rewards members only who book through official channels, not to people who stay at a Marriott that don't belong to the rewards program (even if they book through official channels).

Cheers.
Yes, but anyone can become a Marriott Rewards member in a matter of minutes. Go down to the front desk, fill out application, and boom, free internet.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbn42
Yes, but anyone can become a Marriott Rewards member in a matter of minutes. Go down to the front desk, fill out application, and boom, free internet.
Indeed, and that is kind of the whole point from Marriott’s side. One more mail address to send offers and advertising to. The hotels in Asia heavily advertise this, just sign up if you want free Internet. You can even do it online from your room and be fine....
Still the connections don't seem to suffer from it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.