Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Promotion: RewardsPlus Double Points and Double UA Miles 11/1 - 2/5 (Targeted)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*

Got this targeted offer for double point and double miles 11/1 - 2/5.

Looks like it was targeted for those who are in the RewardsPlus program that links Marriott and UA status.

http://joinmarriottrewards.com/rewardsplus2014/ml

The question I have is if a stay starts or ends outside the period does it count, and if so, are all the points doubled or does it calculate what is in the window?

Also posted here for the United side:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tt-points.html
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
I'm not eligible
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
I got the promo but my wife didn't. The main difference is that I'm MR platinum (with more stays) and she's gold.

For Marriott, stays that start within the promo period usually count for promos. My best guess is that you'd get all your base points doubled. But I don't have experience with a point-doubling MR promo, and the T&C are vague.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got the offer and have a 2 week stay very early in November. For a promotion like this (i.e. starting 2nd stay), would checking out and checking back in be considered one stay?

Thanks.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:40 am

Programs: American Airlines EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by username
I got the offer and have a 2 week stay very early in November. For a promotion like this (i.e. starting 2nd stay), would checking out and checking back in be considered one stay?

Thanks.
Here's the first point from the T&C -

A 'stay' is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tomsam
Here's the first point from the T&C -

A 'stay' is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity.
I wonder if I can do this:

1 - first night credit to MR
2 - 2nd night just skip the credit
3 - 3rd night on credit to MR

I will still make more points this way...
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: American Airlines EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist

I think your safest bet is to spend the 2nd night in another hotel. Not sure the above will work because technically you are still spending consecutive nights in the same hotel.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platnium,Hyatt Diamond
Got the same promotion with a bonus Trial United Premier Platinum
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tomsam
I think your safest bet is to spend the 2nd night in another hotel. Not sure the above will work because technically you are still spending consecutive nights in the same hotel.
Thanks. I guess I try not to move hotels as there is a time cost for me and environmental cost also. Oh well.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by BigE
I got the promo but my wife didn't. The main difference is that I'm MR platinum (with more stays) and she's gold.

I am plat and wife is gold and neither of us are eligible.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hotels have a habit of proactively merging consecutive into one reservation, whatever way they want. So not only do you risk this not working the way you want, you risk the whole stay skipping the credit (if they merge it in such a way that one night is disqualified for credit, say because you booked it at third-party site, the entire stay may get disqualified for credit).

The only safe way, if you're traveling by yourself*, is to stay somewhere else (across the street to minimize hassle) on the 2nd night.

Or, do a "throw-away" stay ("mattress run") of one night (you check in, leave the key in the room, and call in the morning to say you've checked out) before your first night at this hotel.

*If you're traveling with someone else, the easiest way is for the second to be booked in their name, they check in separately without you, you check out you move your bags, and the hotel has no clue that you stayed there that night. But that's not available to those traveling alone.

In general, "hotel hopping" (changing hotels every night) is very common in other hotel programs hich allow you qualify for elite status in half as many stays as nights. By making all your stays be one-nights stays in those programs, you can thus qualify in half the number of nights than if you stayed consecutive nights. So if this concept of "hotel hopping" sounds strange to you, it's only because it's more rarely of value in the Marriott world (where the only type of elite qualification, as well as most promos, are based on nights, not stays.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Oct 26, 2014 at 7:00 pm
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. The gain will be only about 10,000 points so it probably is not worth the money, time or environmental damage to switch hotel or pay for a fake stay. I do know the hotel GM pretty well so maybe he can make sure the stays are not linked.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thanks. The gain will be only about 10,000 points so it probably is not worth the money, time or environmental damage to switch hotel or pay for a fake stay. I do know the hotel GM pretty well so maybe he can make sure the stays are not linked.
You'd be asking that GM to manage to set things up to violate MR rules. Are youu sure you want to request this if you have a good relationship with the GM of a hotel where you stay frequently?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think Marriott itself can link the stays even if the hotel doesn't!
Old Nov 7, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Can anyone confirm that signing up for this will have no effect on the MegaBonus points?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.