Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Resort Exemptions - Really?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Resort Exemptions - Really?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheMan
The lack of the overabundance of business travelers. And if you have been to a true resort, like the Camelback Inn in Scottsdale the differences are glaring. Tennis, multiple golf courses, cycling and other activities and events and décor that provide a different feel. The World Center is weak at best compared to other properties. The largest part here is the convention center. The feeling of business is everywhere. Banners hanging around for conventions in house, people running around with badges, etc. How do you get that level of relaxation you are looking for in this environment?
Hmmm, husband has a business stay for a convention booked at the Camelback next month. Does that make it not a resort?

PS I am totally going, free breakfast or not.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ohmark
One of my few FT moments of glory: inducing the Marriott Concierge to publicly back down on our very forum. He had declared that despite not having the word "resort" in its name, it was, nevertheless, a resort and could skate on the benefits of a regular non-resort hotel. But then...
See posts beginning at no. 28 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...nica-ca-2.html
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Hmmm, husband has a business stay for a convention booked at the Camelback next month. Does that make it not a resort?

PS I am totally going, free breakfast or not.
Yes, you'll get free breakfast, because you'll wander over and graze off of the convention's spread before heading to the pool/golf/tennis/spa/etc.

Being an S.O. tagging along for a conference never sucks...
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One of my few FT moments of glory: inducing the Marriott Concierge to publicly back down on our very forum. He had declared that despite not having the word "resort" in its name, it was, nevertheless, a resort and could skate on the benefits of a regular non-resort hotel. But then...
See posts beginning at no. 28 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...nica-ca-2.html
When I went to HNL a few years ago, I stayed at the Renaissance "Hotel" (hotel was part of the name) and was refused free breakfast. I pushed and they gave in.

SPG hotels are nice but their footprint is too small. IHG's Platinum status and benefits are a joke.

Most of my colleagues like Hilton more since they feel Marriott nickles and dimes you and cut corners in rooms/buildings. The HHonors point structure is terrible though.

So, no one is perfect...
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Why is breakfast excluded at resorts?

Does it cost more to provide a continental buffet at a resort? Can they sell the buffet for more, and the opportunity cost is larger? Are "resorts" often in higher cost areas where restaurant space is at a premium?

As far as I can tell average rates at resorts are not that much lower than suburban business hotels, and occupancy seems high during peak seasons.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:07 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by johnden
Why is breakfast excluded at resorts?
IMO it's an archaic derivation which makes little sense today. Lounges/breakfasts were provided as a convenience for business travelers (i.e. road warriors). Thus, lounges were only open Monday-Friday (because, apparently, no business travelers are allowed to travel on weekends) and no lounges or breakfasts at resorts (because, apparently, a business traveler shouldn't be at a resort).
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:33 am
Suspended

IMO it's an archaic derivation which makes little sense today. Lounges/breakfasts were provided as a convenience for business travelers (i.e. road warriors). Thus, lounges were only open Monday-Friday (because, apparently, no business travelers are allowed to travel on weekends) and no lounges or breakfasts at resorts (because, apparently, a business traveler shouldn't be at a resort).
Totally agree with your analysis and what's more, Marriott could state that resorts will now comply and earn a great deal of good will.

Furthermore, those that do not wish to provide breakfast could always opt out like the few Marriott hotels that instead of providing breakfast, provide 1,000 points in lieu of same, e.g., Copley Square Marriott, JW Essex, etc. Still, it would be more than is presently the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.