Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

REFUSED upgrade at fairfield inn buckhead atl

REFUSED upgrade at fairfield inn buckhead atl

Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Ok, I'm going to be the contrarian here. A bit disappointed in you.

You complained the next morning and were given the $25 and 3,000 points. For a short stay at a FI that's a good resolution.

I'm confused on why you decided to then email to the GM regarding something that had already been satisfactorily resolved - and why you then accepted even more points. Seems like a bit of grab as much as you can to me.

IMO the right thing to do, if you were going to bother emailing, was to say hey I had this situation, it could have been handled better by the original FDC so you may want to review policies with her to make sure it doesn't happen again, but the morning clerk handled it well so kudos to him/pass along my regards. Not asking for comp as the morning clerk took care of that, just wanted to let you know of the situation.

Cheers
Why not ask me what my email consisted of before assuming what it contained?

In that email,
-I mentioned that the agent that morning had done such things to pacify the incident
-I explained the situation fully so that she could be aware of it for future reference
-I didn't ask for anything extra
-overall I articulated everything you said above and more
I didn't even expect a response or a call as it was simply an informative email so that the person in charge can make changes to prevent further occurrences from happening.

So Saturday night right after the incident occurred, my gf and I went to dinner 30 min later. I then called & complained with marriott customer care. They emailed the mgr directly, but at first offered to call the front desk and see what was up but I insited them not too. I didn't want to return to the hotel and deal with that woman! When the mgr surprisingly called me today, she was responding to customer cares email but ironically had not received mine. Even after checking and confirming the email address with her on the phone, she wasn't sure why she hadn't received the email. She also said that she was new to the job etc.

She wanted to hear my side of the story. So I explained everything that happened and what the great agent that morning had done. As I mentioned above, she was quite appalled. She honestly seemed embarrassed and even said "I see why the mgr before me left..."

In the end, I'm not going to turn down more pts when the mgr insists that she go above and beyond to placate the situation. She literally offered up a free night to return to the hotel. Informing management honestly without expecting something in return, sometimes brings about a nice gesture regardless. Morale of this story
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:02 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by alrvd83
Why not ask me what my email consisted of before assuming what it contained?

In that email,
-I mentioned that the agent that morning had done such things to pacify the incident
-I explained the situation fully so that she could be aware of it for future reference
-I didn't ask for anything extra
-overall I articulated everything you said above and more
I didn't even expect a response or a call as it was simply an informative email so that the person in charge can make changes to prevent further occurrences from happening.

So Saturday night right after the incident occurred, my gf and I went to dinner 30 min later. I then called & complained with marriott customer care. They emailed the mgr directly, but at first offered to call the front desk and see what was up but I insited them not too. I didn't want to return to the hotel and deal with that woman! When the mgr surprisingly called me today, she was responding to customer cares email but ironically had not received mine. Even after checking and confirming the email address with her on the phone, she wasn't sure why she hadn't received the email. She also said that she was new to the job etc.

She wanted to hear my side of the story. So I explained everything that happened and what the great agent that morning had done. As I mentioned above, she was quite appalled. She honestly seemed embarrassed and even said "I see why the mgr before me left..."

In the end, I'm not going to turn down more pts when the mgr insists that she go above and beyond to placate the situation. She literally offered up a free night to return to the hotel. Informing management honestly without expecting something in return, sometimes brings about a nice gesture regardless. Morale of this story
I'll be blunt with you on this - I think for a relatively minor issue you milked out way too much from this property. You already received 3000 extra pts and $25, that was enough. When the GM called you back you should have had a nice discussion(as you did) but in no way have accepted any more points.

Totally wrong, greedy and wrong.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:16 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mikebor
When the GM called you back you should have had a nice discussion(as you did) but in no way have accepted any more points.

Totally wrong, greedy and wrong.
We will have to agree to disagree on this. I personally don't think alrvd83 did anything wrong at all.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by hhoope01
We will have to agree to disagree on this. I personally don't think alrvd83 did anything wrong at all.
Guess we will. The OP got the equivalent of $125 in comp for the stay at a FI, & spent a great deal of his time complaining. He was right on part of it (we all agree the FDC was wrong), but inbetween arguing with the FDC, then complaining to the manager the next day, then writing an email to the GM & then having a discussion with the GM, all on a single overnight stay I'm thinking it probably wasn't much fun for the girlfriend & he might have wanted to focus on just enjoying the time with her. But that's just me.

Cheers.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:54 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
...spent a great deal of his time complaining.
That might be just a bit on the hyperbole side of things.

I doubt the OP spent all that much time (though I admit I wasn't there and it is possible the effort was much greater than I'm thinking.) And personally, calling MR to lodge a complaint is probably a good thing to do as it helps Marriott track if this is a single instance or pattern. And the hotel manager contacted the OP. And if I were contacted, I would give them the whole story just as the OP did.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
I agree. IMO the OP handed things appropriately, especially emailing the GM instead of calling or trying to track the GM down the next day. When the GM called, was the OP supposed to say "oh, hey can I call you back tomorrow"? When the GM offered points was the OP seriously expected to turn them down? IMO no. It generated good will that the GM I'm sure hope to lead the OP to come back in the future.

ETA: Where the OP stayed shouldn't matter. Whether it's a FI or JW management needs to know when their staff F's up.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:47 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by njcommodore
I agree. IMO the OP handed things appropriately, especially emailing the GM instead of calling or trying to track the GM down the next day. When the GM called, was the OP supposed to say "oh, hey can I call you back tomorrow"? When the GM offered points was the OP seriously expected to turn them down? IMO no. It generated good will that the GM I'm sure hope to lead the OP to come back in the future.

ETA: Where the OP stayed shouldn't matter. Whether it's a FI or JW management needs to know when their staff F's up.
Nope - way too much compensation and time wasting for a minor problem.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
IMO, the OP acted appropriately.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
It generated good will that the GM I'm sure hope to lead the OP to come back in the future.
or not :-)

She did offer up a free night, but I have no desire to step foot back at that hotel.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite; UA MM
I think the OP was entirely appropriate with his actions. Frankly, I don't understand the posts that seem to make him wrong in one way or another. Why bring his girlfriend into this and assume she somehow may have been neglected by his actions? Maybe she encouraged him to do something? And maybe this is so speculative that it is reaching for the moon to make the OP wrong?

Why not also assume that he neglected some family member because he could have called the family member instead of taking the time to talk to Marriott staff about this. Or he could have read a short story that would have been much more of a growth experience than taking time to talk with Marriott staff. And if he had let the situation go and done nothing, then I have no doubt that someone would have criticized him for not standing up for himself or for letting the hotel set a precedent that will affect other flyertalkers.

It is one thing for posters to say they would have handled this differently, but that can be done without seeming to imply or saying that other ways of handling the situation are wrong.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:46 pm

"Frankly, I don't understand the posts that seem to make him wrong in one way or another. Why bring his girlfriend into this and assume she somehow may have been neglected by his actions? Maybe she encouraged him to do something? And maybe this is so speculative that it is reaching for the moon to make the OP wrong?"

"It is one thing for posters to say they would have handled this differently, but that can be done without seeming to imply or saying that other ways of handling the situation are wrong."

Valid points H & T, but you must remember that this is a tough room.

You've been a member for 9 years and 9 months and you have 282 posts??? Or did you get reset somewhere along the way?

Last edited by diogenes2011; Oct 15, 2014 at 12:47 pm Reason: punctuation
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mikebor
Nope - way too much compensation and time wasting for a minor problem.
Time wasting? You sound like an old grandpa lol. :sarcasm: These actions took minimal effort on my part

Last edited by alrvd83; Oct 15, 2014 at 5:31 pm
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Exactly. The GM's phone call was in response to Marriott customer care emailing her. She apparently never even received my email to her. She literally implored with me to tell my side of the story. She was very upset with her employee because the message from Marriott said "Platinum member refused upgrade. ". Refused makes it seem like it was available which it was....The word refused would make any GM irrate.

And no way will I turn down pts
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:18 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Time wasting? You sound like an old grandpa lol. :sarcasm: These actions took minimal effort on my part
To many, upgrade unavailability at a FFI doesn't rise to the level of a complaint to corporate. Not every "battle" needs to be fought. YMMV.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
A few years back I was refused a PP upgrade at a totally empty RI over a rainy weekend aside a Corporate office park. Nasty FD clerk lied over and over that they were full for Fri & Sat nights.

I wouldn't let it go and at 5pm made a reservation for six 2BR's. She moved us into a 2 BR (from a studio) and claimed she would take care of it. At checkout I was given a bill for double the expected amount and same clerk would not correct it. I left a message for the GM as I left and received several apologetic emails from the GM the next day.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.