Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Adding Futuristic Wireless Charging Stations to Lobbies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium

In partnership with Kube Systems, Marriott will be installing wireless charging stations in 29 of its U.S. hotel lobbies.

The stations can charge up to 6 wireless-charging enabled smart phones at once. Guests can also take advantage of the charging stations' Lightning and micro USA cables.

You can currently find the charging stations at:
  1. Anaheim Marriott
  2. Atlanta Marriott Marquis
  3. Baltimore Marriott Waterfront
  4. Boston Marriott Cambridge
  5. Boston Marriott Copley Place
  6. Crystal Gateway Marriott (in Washington, D.C.)
  7. Dallas Marriott City Center
  8. Denver Airport Marriott
  9. Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center
  10. Indianapolis Marriott Downtown
  11. Irvine (California) Marriott
  12. Kansas City Marriott Downtown
  13. Key Bridge Marriott (in Washington, D.C.)
  14. Los Angeles Airport Marriott Hotel
  15. Marina del Rey (California) Marriott
  16. Marriott Marquis Washington, D.C.
  17. Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
  18. Marriott Stanton South Beach
  19. Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
  20. New Orleans Downtown Marriott at the Convention Center
  21. New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge
  22. New York Marriott Downtown
  23. New York Marriott East Side
  24. New York Marriott Marquis
  25. San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter
  26. San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/20...ons-to-lobbies
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How nice that guests can now charge those devices that Marriott hotels are blocking.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:36 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

No charging love at Rens.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How nice that guests can now charge those devices that Marriott hotels are blocking.
^^^
Too funny
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm not familiar with the latest technologies: can these things fully charge a dead smartphone in a few minutes?

My only experience with wireless charging was with a Palm mobile phone I had back in the day. It was probably ahead of its time in terms of design and aesthetics, but it was so niche that nobody developed apps for it. Anyway, that wireless charger wasn't any faster than a standard wired charger, thus making a hotel lobby a rather useless place for it.

Cool idea, but these chargers have to be smokin' fast for this to make much sense.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
I'm not familiar with the latest technologies: can these things fully charge a dead smartphone in a few minutes?

My only experience with wireless charging was with a Palm mobile phone I had back in the day. It was probably ahead of its time in terms of design and aesthetics, but it was so niche that nobody developed apps for it. Anyway, that wireless charger wasn't any faster than a standard wired charger, thus making a hotel lobby a rather useless place for it.

Cool idea, but these chargers have to be smokin' fast for this to make much sense.

Nothing charges a dead smartphone in a few minutes.

Even if I drain my iPhone down to the 10% or red zone, it will get some juice after a few minutes, but certainly not enough to keep you going.

P.S. The Palm Pilot was ahead of its time unless it became behind the times
In the mobile device universe, things become obsolete in the blink of an eye
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Just a little anecdote based on my multiple hotels stays this year (including the LAX Airport Marriott and SFO Waterfront Marriott, Residence Inn SRQ) and others.

At the LAX Marriott, all of the tables in the lobby (bar-type and small round) have plug charging. Even SuperBowl Sunday, we all managed to charge all our devices. I noticed some road warriors travel with their own multi-plug devices, small but very convenient.

I was also at another hotel (not Marriott chain or brands) which was only 4 years-old. It had very cool charging units with electrical and USB outlets built into the tables that pop-up form the table. They are flush with the surface when closed. Looking at the photos I took, they are positioned at about 18 inches apart. Very clever.

Sure wireless is better, but useful, functional plugs with juice are most important of all, IMHO.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:11 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by 24left
I was also at another hotel (not Marriott chain or brands) which was only 4 years-old. It had very cool charging units with electrical and USB outlets built into the tables that pop-up form the table. They are flush with the surface when closed. Looking at the photos I took, they are positioned at about 18 inches apart. Very clever.
I've seen versions of these tables at several Marriotts with renovated lobbies.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:41 pm

good idea, makes it easier to have your device stolen.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I don't believe I've ever gone down to the lobby to charge my phone in a hotel. And I don't believe I will to use what's basically a standard USB/Lightning connector charger for 99%+ of phones in use.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPRich
I don't believe I've ever gone down to the lobby to charge my phone in a hotel. And I don't believe I will to use what's basically a standard USB/Lightning connector charger for 99%+ of phones in use.

The people I was sitting with didn't come down to charge their devices. We were all either waiting for our dinner reservations/ drivers/ other people/ flights. Given how some airports are an episode of that Samsung ad with people on the floor clinging to wall sockets (it's really funny), I think some would rather just charge where they can. (I can also tell you that there were some massive U.S. hotels I've stayed at that still have like 3 electrical plugs in the lobby area, with seating for 50. And then there is the wi-fi issue, which is a whole other conversation.

I travel with the devices I need as I suspect you and other FT members do. But the universe is bigger than us.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
From the press release. This came from their Travel Brilliant program.

"Featuring a sleek, contemporary design, the portable chargers’ built-in connecters can simultaneously power up to six devices, covering all Apple, Android and Windows Mobile Devices. Qi wireless charging technology allows compatible smartphones to charge simply by resting on the KS Portable™ Qi transmitter, removing the need for cables and cutting the final cord that tethers devices – the power cord. The portable charger seamlessly enhances the new Greatroom lobby that merges modern, stylish design and comfort with greater access to food & beverage and technology. Designed as a social hub, the Greatroom lobby is the perfect space for tech-savvy guests to work, relax and socialize, and now with the addition of portable charging, guests are free to decide how their time is spent – whether charging up while enjoying a beverage or catching up on an uninterrupted work session."

In hotels that are renovating I've seen the tables with outlets in the lobby & even in a restaurant. For example, the LAS Marriott has a communal table in the lobby section with outlets built into the table, as well as a communal table in the restaurant with the outlets built in.

As 24left notes, I don't think people come down to the lobby from their rooms to charge devices, but if they are in the lobby or bars or restaurants & meeting or eating/drinking with others or have come in from elsewhere for such things having ability to charge, whether wifi or outlet, is handy.

Cheers.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
From the press release. This came from their Travel Brilliant program.

"Featuring a sleek, contemporary design, the portable chargers’ built-in connecters can simultaneously power up to six devices, covering all Apple, Android and Windows Mobile Devices. Qi wireless charging technology allows compatible smartphones to charge simply by resting on the KS Portable™ Qi transmitter, removing the need for cables and cutting the final cord that tethers devices – the power cord. The portable charger seamlessly enhances the new Greatroom lobby that merges modern, stylish design and comfort with greater access to food & beverage and technology. Designed as a social hub, the Greatroom lobby is the perfect space for tech-savvy guests to work, relax and socialize, and now with the addition of portable charging, guests are free to decide how their time is spent – whether charging up while enjoying a beverage or catching up on an uninterrupted work session."

In hotels that are renovating I've seen the tables with outlets in the lobby & even in a restaurant. For example, the LAS Marriott has a communal table in the lobby section with outlets built into the table, as well as a communal table in the restaurant with the outlets built in.

As 24left notes, I don't think people come down to the lobby from their rooms to charge devices, but if they are in the lobby or bars or restaurants & meeting or eating/drinking with others or have come in from elsewhere for such things having ability to charge, whether wifi or outlet, is handy.

Cheers.

Interesting anecdote:
In addition to enhanced charging options in the Marriott lobbies, I had a conversation at the SFO Waterfront Marriott about the issue of high fees for room wifi when "lesser" brands (eg Residence Inns have wifi in the rooms).

When guests who won't pay for the in-room wifi come down to the lobby to use it there, they are also meeting others with whom they can potentially network for business purposes. This happened to me twice - once while having a coffee and using the wifi, another time while charging before a flight.

You never know.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 24left
Just a little anecdote based on my multiple hotels stays this year (including the LAX Airport Marriott and SFO Waterfront Marriott, Residence Inn SRQ) and others.

At the LAX Marriott, all of the tables in the lobby (bar-type and small round) have plug charging. Even SuperBowl Sunday, we all managed to charge all our devices. I noticed some road warriors travel with their own multi-plug devices, small but very convenient.

Sure wireless is better, but useful, functional plugs with juice are most important of all, IMHO.
These are common in conference and meeting rooms, including those not located in hotels.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
These are common in conference and meeting rooms, including those not located in hotels.

Yes, I've seen those. The difference is, people in conference rooms generally don't have that panicked look on their faces "my battery is dead, where' a plug?"

Still, Marriott is moving forward and it's great.

BTW, here is the Samsung ad with all those desperate-to-charge-device- socket-huggers. Still funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzMUTrTYD9s

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.