Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

FALSE RUMOR: Marriott to restrict access to international lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FALSE RUMOR: Marriott to restrict access to international lounges

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nacho
If Marriott removes lounge access, what makes them different from other chains (SPG, HH, or even IHG)? I think lounge access is their main selling point for attracting loyal customers.
Huh? SPG gives Plats lounge access at Westins and Sheratons (except for the Towers lounge, which requires having a hotel-within-the-hotel Towers room), except possibly for resorts, and IME generally at other brands such as LC that sometimes have lounges. In fact, Sheraton lounges are required to be open seven days a week.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:24 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Huh?
Given Nacho is a Marriott Gold and given that I don't think anyone took the "no lounge access for anyone" seriously. I took Nacho's comments to be focused mostly on the Gold elite access change discussion.

At Hiltons, a Gold elite only gets lounge access if upgraded to a CL level room. At Starwood a Gold elite only gets lounge access if upgraded to a CL level room (Also note that only Sheraton's actually have lounges as a brand standard.) At IHG, nobody automatically gets lounge access (unless you pay for it.) So basically Marriott going to a Plat only automatically gets lounge access model would be about the same as everyone else.

But I've been wrong before (and probably will be again even before today is gone.)
Old Oct 10, 2014, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
At Hiltons, a Gold elite only gets lounge access if upgraded to a CL level room. At Starwood a Gold elite only gets lounge access if upgraded to a CL level room (Also note that only Sheraton's actually have lounges as a brand standard.) At IHG, nobody automatically gets lounge access (unless you pay for it.)

So basically Marriott going to a Plat only automatically gets lounge access model would be about the same as everyone else.
Yes, and, if that were to happen, Marriott would no longer be the choice of many. Marriott would simply be - part of the herd - and would be no different from most other chain hotels.

It is the lounge access that puts Marriott at the front of the line for many choosing a hotel stay.
-
Old Oct 10, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K

At Hiltons, a Gold elite only gets lounge access if upgraded to a CL level room. At Starwood a Gold elite only gets lounge access if upgraded to a CL level room (Also note that only Sheraton's actually have lounges as a brand standard.) At IHG, nobody automatically gets lounge access (unless you pay for it.) So basically Marriott going to a Plat only automatically gets lounge access model would be about the same as everyone else.
United Airlines Fake Gold here.

I have often been giving lounge access as a Hilton Gold staying on a non-Executive Floor room. The official rules are "lounge access for Golds upgraded to EF rooms," but unofficially individual properties will often give Golds access as their "free breakfast" benefit. I presume that this is also heavily dependent upon expected lounge capacity.

The biggest difference, in my opinion, is that many domestic Hilton lounges are actually open on weekends. I think that if Marriott were to move toward a "lounge access only if upgraded to the Executive Floor" model for Golds, they would have to up their game in terms of weekend hours for domestic lounges.

On the flip side, Marriott is now getting my stays during the week, because guaranteed lounge access trumps playing the lounge lottery any day of the week!
Old Oct 10, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by SS255

Marriott is now getting my stays during the week, because guaranteed lounge access trumps playing the lounge lottery any day of the week!
This. It's one of the reasons I dropped Hilton.

Cheers.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SS255

I have often been giving lounge access as a Hilton Gold staying on a non-Executive Floor room. The official rules are "lounge access for Golds upgraded to EF rooms," but unofficially individual properties will often give Golds access as their "free breakfast" benefit. I presume that this is also heavily dependent upon expected lounge capacity.
Correct. The hotel will decide if they wish to go beyond the rules and admit Gold members to the lounge even if they are not on the Executive/Concierge level floor.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:06 pm

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
The CommunityManager just posted on Insiders:

"Hi Insiders,

I'm happy to officially let you know that this rumor is not true. We recognize how important this benefit is to our members and there are absolutely no changes planned at this time (bolding added). Members will continue to receive access in our Lounges worldwide."

When I read the words, "at this time," in an official response I am always a little skeptical. So maybe their thinking on elite access to the CL will change next spring when category increases/decreases are announced, just saying...

Also, is there anything preventing individual hotels from upgrading their concierge lounge and going to a model similar to the St. Pancras in London? So maybe changes to lounge access won't happen chain wide, but will happen at individual hotels as lounges are upgraded. Just a thought. Hope this isn't the case.

Regards,

RIP...
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm not worried about the "at this time" language...I'm usually somewhat cynical but in this case I believe them, from the corporate level, when they say they aren't changing it. This rumor probably caught them by surprise.

Individual properties going rogue...that's another story and something I'd be concerned about in any of the big programs.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Red face

Given Nacho is a Marriott Gold and given that I don't think anyone took the "no lounge access for anyone" seriously. I took Nacho's comments to be focused mostly on the Gold elite access change discussion.

But I've been wrong before (and probably will be again even before today is gone.)
However, Marriott Gold is equal to SPG plat. In my opinion, the # of nights required to reach Marriott Gold is why lounge access is automatically given.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by awu25
However, Marriott Gold is equal to SPG plat. In my opinion, the # of nights required to reach Marriott Gold is why lounge access is automatically given.
Exactly, and 50 nights also means Diamond with Hyatt and guaranteed lounge access for Regency and Grand brands.

SPG has brand standards for Sheraton lounges being open seven days, although the same isn't true for Westin and LC lounges. Hyatt gives lots of points when lounges are closed.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:23 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by awu25
However, Marriott Gold is equal to SPG plat.
Post that in the Starwood forum and see what replies you get.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.