Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott fined for wifi blocking at Gaylord Opryland Hotel in Nashville, TN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott fined for wifi blocking at Gaylord Opryland Hotel in Nashville, TN

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:48 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 1:19 am
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:24 pm

Marriott Busted Jamming Customers Wifi

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-1...ers-wi-fi.html

It was just plain stupid to try and pull such a stunt but what is truly beyond comprehension is the Marriott spokesman's response to the company getting caught. Rather than apologize or at least keep his mouth shut he comes up with nonsense about how they were doing this to protect guests. Clearly this guy hasn't got a clue but that doesn't stop him because he continues first asking the FCC to clear up confusion (what confusion?) and then suggesting the FCC is wrong in not permitting Marriott (and therefore presumably anyone) from jamming legitimate, legal radio transmissions.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by sbedelman

It was just plain stupid to try and pull such a stunt but what is truly beyond comprehension is the Marriott spokesman's response to the company getting caught. Rather than apologize or at least keep his mouth shut he comes up with nonsense about how they were doing this to protect guests. Clearly this guy hasn't got a clue but that doesn't stop him because he continues first asking the FCC to clear up confusion (what confusion?) and then suggesting the FCC is wrong in not permitting Marriott (and therefore presumably anyone) from jamming legitimate, legal radio transmissions.
um, look two threads down.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by njcommodore
um, look two threads down.
Yeah, just did. Duh. OPs please delete. I apologize.

But savor the representatives response. The original transgression was hopefully the work of the Marriott location, not headquarters. That corporate would do anything other than apologize for what is clearly illegal behavior is pretty baffling.

Whoever made the decision to try and defend what they did should find himself in Mr. Marriott's office getting a lesson in 1) the law and 2) corporate ethics.

Last edited by sbedelman; Oct 3, 2014 at 8:41 pm
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Rexkramer
CNN has the following on its website. I hope it is from the hotel rather than Marriott because it only makes a bad situation worse...

Marriott issued the following statement Friday afternoon defending its actions:

"Marriott has a strong interest in ensuring that when our guests use our Wi-Fi service, they will be protected from rogue wireless hot spots that can cause degraded service, insidious cyber-attacks and identity theft," the statement said. "Like many other institutions and companies in a wide variety of industries, including hospitals and universities, the Gaylord Opryland protected its Wi-Fi network by using FCC-authorized equipment provided by well-known, reputable manufacturers.

"We believe that the Opryland's actions were lawful. We will continue to encourage the FCC to pursue a rulemaking in order to eliminate the ongoing confusion resulting from today's action and to assess the merits of its underlying policy."
That's from corporate. A Mr. Jeff Faherty.

Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Maybe a lot of Marriott's lawyers are out of the office today and let that official response slip. I bet they walk it back next week.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
That's from corporate. A Mr. Jeff Faherty.

I'm rather stunned that corporate would issue anything other than an apology. When I first read about this issue I figured it was some holdover practice from before Gaylord's assimilation into Marriott. Now that I know Marriott corporate supports this inane practice it makes me question whether I want to remain with Marriott next year.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite; UA MM
wow! google "Marriott news" and this story is everywhere. Terrible publicity and then on top of this trying to defend the practice? I can't believe management can be so stupid.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:34 pm

This wouldn't have been a story if Marriott just said it was a dumb thing to do, they regret doing it, they won't do it again and they'll be making refunds to any customers who were affected.

Putting aside the terrible PR of trying to defend what they did given interfering with a radio signal is a criminal act you would think the company would have been extremely careful to made sure this was handled properly.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

what is truly beyond comprehension is the Marriott spokesman's response to the company getting caught. Rather than apologize or at least keep his mouth shut he comes up with nonsense about how they were doing this to protect guests. Clearly this guy hasn't got a clue but that doesn't stop him because he continues first asking the FCC to clear up confusion (what confusion?) and then suggesting the FCC is wrong in not permitting Marriott (and therefore presumably anyone) from jamming legitimate, legal radio transmissions.
Come on, fair is fair. The company spokesperson says what he is told to say. Marriott (not the p.r. guy) foobar'd this. Don't hang the spokesaerson for Marriott (or its lawyers) response.

Cheers
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
This is where I hope there is a class action lawsuit that makes couple of lawyers few million Marriott $. Plus FCC sits on them beyond 3 years to verify on compliance and hopefully include other Marriott properties who could be doing this. Total boneheaded response on top of it when you have been cited by FCC for violation. I really hope FCC gets annoyed and ask for compliance reports from all Marriott properties.

Kudos to the person who filed the FCC complaint. Hope more people do the right thing.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by cova
Your statement was speculation. Likely best not to speculate on a possible criminal situation for the business involved.

It is illegal to jam airwaves. Does WiFi count as airwaves? This sounds very serious.
The irony.

First it wasn't speculative but my opinion (which of course is as valid or invalid as anyone else's).

Second, given you don't even know what you'r e speculating about you sound silly.

Cheers
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:37 pm

There are few things in life that are certain but this is one of them.

http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/jammer-enforcement
http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/jammere...ent/jamfaq.pdf

Also see Section 333 of the Communications Act

Here is the consent order with Marriott.

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Rele...-14-1444A1.pdf

The Enforcement Bureau (Bureau) of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC or Commission), Marriott International, Inc., and Marriott Hotel Services, Inc. (collectively, Marriott) have entered into a Consent Decree for $600,000 to settle the Bureau’s investigation of allegations that Marriott interfered with and disabled Wi-Fi networks established by consumers in the conference facilities at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel and Convention Center in Nashville, Tennessee (Gaylord Opryland) in violation of Section 333 of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended (Act), 47 U.S.C. § 333.

There is a reason the FCC fined them $600,000 and ordered them to submit to ongoing compliance, including submitting Compliance Reports.

I'm sure the individuals responsible didn't have a clue what they were doing but Harvey Kellman knew when he signed on behalf of Marriott and yet the company issued out this idiotic statement.

I guess Marriott still believes they should be able to jam legitimate communications as they see fit from their property and is hoping the FCC will change the rules to allow them to do so. Good luck with that.

In any event its hard to see how their spokesman, or anyone else at Marriott, could still be confused regarding what the Communication Act says given both the clarity of the law and the FCC Order of Oct 3rd.

And yet, apparently they are. Go figure.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:48 pm

This wouldn't have been a story if Marriott just said it was a dumb thing to do, they regret doing it, they won't do it again and they'll be making refunds to any customers who were affected.

Putting aside the terrible PR of trying to defend what they did given interfering with a radio signal is a criminal act you would think the company would have been extremely careful to made sure this was handled properly.
Agree. This will be a Harvard biz case study at some point.

Cheers
Old Oct 4, 2014, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Agree. This will be a Harvard biz case study at some point.

Cheers
They can easily turn this around.

All Bill Marriott Jr. has to do is issue a statement that this Jeff guy doesn't know what he is talking about and the company apologies, will issue refunds, won't let it happen again and he's personally going to make darn sure that everyone in the company who was involved with both the original problem and the ridiculous public statement gets a lesson in Marriott corporate ethics and anyone failing to comprehend the way Marriott is committed to doing business will be summarily shown the door.

That's it and it's over assuming kicks a few butts.

It's such a trivial, stupid thing to lose one's reputation over. I can understand a few idiots at a hotel trying to be cute, but that corporate doesn't get that Marriott of all companies has so much to lose if they are thought to believe this kind of thing is acceptable.

They not just broke the law, they did so specifically to cheat their customers. And for what, a few extra bucks? Pretty stupid.

Maybe Bill should just fire the executives who had a part in this. You pay those people big money to make good decisions and they weren't doing the company any favors when they decided to try and justify what had happened. Let them find a job elsewhere so they can damage somebody else's brand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.