Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Very Shady Marriott Practice Just Discovered and Admitted to by a Marriott Rep!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Very Shady Marriott Practice Just Discovered and Admitted to by a Marriott Rep!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Originally Posted by MJonTravel
For what it's worth, I have two Verizon cell phones, and a 4G Mi-Fi. All three devices worked just fine for me during a recent stay at the Marriott Marquis in DC.
I'm in the Marriott Marquis DC as I type this. One thing I noticed... last time I was here I was in an exterior room, and had OK cell coverage. This time I'm in an atrium room, and my call home was dropped 3 times tonight. I turned off LTE, and found that my call quality improved.

In the end, I don't think there's some conspiracy to deny cell service to certain customers here, I think it's more a factor of "network coverage." This building probably needs to be wired by Verizon to get a really good signal inside.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum; Hilton Diamond; United Platinum; AA Gold
I'm in the Marriott Marquis DC as I type this. One thing I noticed... last time I was here I was in an exterior room, and had OK cell coverage. This time I'm in an atrium room, and my call home was dropped 3 times tonight. I turned off LTE, and found that my call quality improved.

In the end, I don't think there's some conspiracy to deny cell service to certain customers here, I think it's more a factor of "network coverage." This building probably needs to be wired by Verizon to get a really good signal inside.
This was in the news recently... http://fortune.com/2014/10/03/marrio...i-fi-hotspots/
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

Unfortunately, this post does not deal with the subject of this thread. Cell service was never interrupted just WiFi. Anyone that's been using a cell phone for any length of time has found there are shadow areas for service and buildings, mountains, and other objects will interfere or drop calls. Many companies have found the need to install mini-cells inside their buildings to improve cell service. But with so many different providers and technologies it's tough to cover everyone.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by RogerD408

Unfortunately, this post does not deal with the subject of this thread. Cell service was never interrupted just WiFi. Anyone that's been using a cell phone for any length of time has found there are shadow areas for service and buildings, mountains, and other objects will interfere or drop calls. Many companies have found the need to install mini-cells inside their buildings to improve cell service. But with so many different providers and technologies it's tough to cover everyone.
Actually, I believe you are mistaken. If you go back and read the OP, cell service being interrupted is the subject of this thread. The ancillary topic about the Gaylord and personal Wifi access points being blocked, and links to the related articles, was introduced later in the thread (post #9) and is in fact unrelated to the subject of this thread as noted in post #10.

IMO MJonTravel's post is totally on topic; however, posts 9 and 32 are not.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
With Wifi, it's clear why Marriott jams it: to drive people to their insanely-high-priced Wifi in the convention areas of the hotel. Get caught, get a slap on the wrist by the FCC, no big deal.

But for regular cell service, it doesn't seem like they have enough skin in the game to either try to jam it or not allow microcells from any carrier who wants to install one. If I have crappy cell signal while I'm in a particular hotel, I'm less likely to book that hotel again. A bad experience at a Marriott in DC isn't going to make me break my mobile contract and switch to someone else.

It's more likely to make me try the Hilton or Starwood down the street...don't need a new 2-year agreement to try out a new hotel.

Perhaps it's Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile who have chosen not to put the microcells into this building? We don't have any evidence that they've tried and been denied by Marriott, do we? The OP suggests an "exclusive" agreement with AT&T, but the bolded part seems to be more about the area around the Marriott than the Marriott.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by pinniped
With Wifi, it's clear why Marriott jams it: to drive people to their insanely-high-priced Wifi in the convention areas of the hotel.
Excuse my ignorance on this, but don't the phones and the mobile WiFi go through the same access to the same towers? I really don't know, and am asking.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Excuse my ignorance on this, but don't the phones and the mobile WiFi go through the same access to the same towers? I really don't know, and am asking.
Marriott was recently caught jamming local hotspots...communication between your own mobile phone and your laptop, for example. They weren't jamming signals between the carriers and the phone.

In DC, I think it's just a case where AT&T has put in the microcells, no one else has, and the other carriers' service sucks because of it. Still don't see real evidence of nefariousness on the part of this particular DC hotel. I think the response from Marriott in the OP is simply nontechnical, not evidence of a conspiracy.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by pinniped
Marriott was recently caught jamming local hotspots...communication between your own mobile phone and your laptop, for example. They weren't jamming signals between the carriers and the phone.

In DC, I think it's just a case where AT&T has put in the microcells, no one else has, and the other carriers' service sucks because of it. Still don't see real evidence of nefariousness on the part of this particular DC hotel. I think the response from Marriott in the OP is simply nontechnical, not evidence of a conspiracy.
Per the article it seems a single Gaylord property was caught and there isn't some huge conspiracy to block wifi nationwide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.