Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Offers Guests the Chance to Vacation on a "Virtual Beach"

Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium

Guests at select Marriott locations will be able to take advantage of the hotel's Oculus Rift technology and explore Hawaii's black sand beaches or the city of London.

Sensory elements like heat, wind, and mist will be added so that the guest can have a more immersive experience.

The program works like this: A person stands in a phone-booth like structure dubbed the Teleporter, puts on the Oculus Rift virtual headset and wireless headphones, and is then "teleported" to the destination. The Teleporter has built in 4-D technology that makes it so the user physically feels different parts of the environment, such as temperature and moisture.

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/gadgets/...-beach-n207256
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by FTcadence
Guests at select Marriott locations will be able to take advantage of the hotel's Oculus Rift technology and explore Hawaii's black sand beaches or the city of London.

Sensory elements like heat, wind, and mist will be added so that the guest can have a more immersive experience.

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/gadgets/...-beach-n207256
Yeah, saw that on Marriott's website. I actually know the folk at Framestore.

I'd rather Marriott put their resources into their loyalty program, website & other pertinent things that more directly impact guests.

Cheers.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
I'm confused. If I wanted to experience Hawaii or London I would have gone there. Or are they implying that I forego flying, check-in to my neighborhood Marriott, step into the "teleporter", put on vr glasses while they turn up the heat lamp/mister make me believe I went.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:19 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
Will it come with a special tip envelope?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Isn't this likely just likely to make me be unhappy where I am compared to being in Hawaii? As for London, some people might react by feeling glad that they're not there. I guess I don't see the point of this from a hotel's perspective, unless it's a cash grab and there will be fees associated with the experience.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by konoyaro
^^^
Old Sep 20, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Air Canada 50K, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Others on Rotation
Yes.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just leave a virtual tip in the virtual envelope for the virtual experience.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:20 am

Wasn't this on Star Trek Next Generation?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.