Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Award stay in Italy - charging taxes - changed the taxes - should I argue?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;

My email confiramtion when I booked my award stay in Boscolo Exedra for two rooms in January 2014, it came back :160,000 points per room +
Estimated government taxes and fees 6.00
Total for stay (per room) 30.00
Total for stay (for all rooms) 60.00

When I looked into my Marriott account my reservations yesterday it shows
Estimated government taxes and fees 14.00
Total for stay (per room) 70.00
Total for stay for (all rooms) 140.00

So I called Marriott US phone number and the customer service rep I spoke with said awards are not suppose to incur any extra charges or taxes. So he would have the Boscolo send me an email stating so. Well this morning I got this email from them. WOW!!! Not only have to pay tax now, but its more than double what the original booking confirmation stated.

Your reservation is on points the only additional charge is the city tax with is Euro 7,00 per guest per night and we have to pay to the local authorities.
As honorable Platinum member you may enjoy your complimentary continental breakfast in our breakfast room on the first floor.

What should/can I do? Don't they at least have to honor the tax they quoted me in my confirmation email in January when they deleted my points?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I would get Marriott CS on the phone again. You shouldn't have to pay taxes. Also, if by chance you do, it should be at the original rate. I would also point out to Marriott that the hotel has now doubled the taxes. Get them to call the property directly.

We've had some very recent updates from FTers on the Boscolo Exedra, but I can't remember if they were paid or award stays. Check that thread. I don't recall them mentioning anything about undue taxes.

Cheers.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:30 am
Original Poster

I have a supervisor working on it. She agreed this isn't right. But added that she's heard some countries do have some extra charges. I said this isn't an extra, its a city tax and IMHO, Marriott needs to list which countries these are in there terms and agreement for award redemption.

You know, I didn't realize about the taxes being included and was already to pay the 60Euro, until I saw it changed to 140Euro.

I also noticed this general manager Mr. Hutton, had some complaint filed against him by another guest for charging him 250 euro for an upgrade he didn't request. So maybe something shady going on here.

Either way, I did say if they can't include the charges I want to just pay what the January confirmation stated. I just hope I don't end up with two crappy rooms in the basement.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Billiken
Just finished a 5-night award stay (140k points).
I have Marriott Gold status and was given a large king room on the 5th (top) floor. No view, but also no street noise.
of the hotel.

Will stay there again the next time I am in Rome.
^
Do you recall if they made you pay the city tax? I'm having an issue with an upcoming reservation right now.

We aren't supposed to be charged city tax on award redemption, but the GM say 7E per person per night.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: M&M,UA MP Silver, MR LT Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by trekker954
Do you recall if they made you pay the city tax? I'm having an issue with an upcoming reservation right now.

We aren't supposed to be charged city tax on award redemption, but the GM say 7E per person per night.
3 night stay at Exedra end of August on a nice LNF rate; €6 city tax (2 persons) was charged as it appears on the invoice.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Exdon
3 night stay at Exedra end of August on a nice LNF rate; €6 city tax (2 persons) was charged as it appears on the invoice.
Yours was a paid stay, where taxes would be expected. trekker954 is asking about an award stay.

Cheers.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:09 am
Community Director Emerita

I've had to pay city taxes on award stays before, albeit not at this level. I think it is more of a fee, independent of the room rate.

Here's some discussion of city taxes on award stays from another hotel forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ak-thread.html
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It sounds like this is some sort of a local tourist fee rather than a tax based on the price paid for the room. You wouldn't pay the latter on an award stay, but the status of the former type of charge is ambiguous. Unfortunately the fee/tax has gone up since you made the reservation and nothing can be done about this as it is charged at the time of your stay.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:25 am
Original Poster

I guess the supervisor reached the manager, I just received another email from Boscolo. But if I have to pay, I believe I should be only charged what my original confirmation quoted 60 euro total. the 6 euro per night per room. Most rooms allow 2 persons, why all of a sudden they change it to 7 euro per person per night is B.S.

"thank you very much for your request. The city tax is a tax like VAT. The city tax was established by the local authorities, we have no possibility to reduce, change or modify
the city tax. We have to transmit the charge to the city of Rome by the end of each month."
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:34 am
Community Director Emerita

I think you are stuck. Rome just doubled their city taxes. They are charged per person per day and are a function of what level they consider the hotel to be.

From a Sept 1 2014 article in the UK Telegraph:

The increase – approved by Italian authorities just five weeks ago – means those staying in a five-star hotel must pay €7 per person per night (£5.53) on top of their room rate, up from €3 (£2.37).

For those staying in a four-star hotel the figure is now €6 (up from €3); those in three-star accommodation will now be charged €4 (up from €2); travellers in one- and two-star hotels must now pay €3 (up from €2).

The tax, or "tassa di soggiorno" – collected at the end of a hotel stay - was introduced in 2011 to help pay for repairs and maintenance to the city. Visitors to youth hostels are exempt from the charge; those camping within the city’s boundaries are charged the lowest rate, while those in b&b accommodation pay €3.50.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
In April of 2011 my wife and I were charged 6 Euro a day @ the Grand Flora for a 3 night award stay.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
Deleted. Duplicate Post.

Last edited by jtp1947; Sep 17, 2014 at 8:52 am
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I guess the supervisor reached the manager, I just received another email from Boscolo. But if I have to pay, I believe I should be only charged what my original confirmation quoted 60 euro total. the 6 euro per night per room. Most rooms allow 2 persons, why all of a sudden they change it to 7 euro per person per night is B.S.

"thank you very much for your request. The city tax is a tax like VAT. The city tax was established by the local authorities, we have no possibility to reduce, change or modify
the city tax. We have to transmit the charge to the city of Rome by the end of each month."
If you have a regular hotel reservation and the city/state sales tax increases before you arrive, wouldn't you expect to pay the higher tax rate?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I think you are stuck. Rome just doubled their city taxes. They are charged per person per day and are a function of what level they consider the hotel to be.

From a Sept 1 2014 article in the UK Telegraph:

The increase – approved by Italian authorities just five weeks ago – means those staying in a five-star hotel must pay €7 per person per night (£5.53) on top of their room rate, up from €3 (£2.37).

For those staying in a four-star hotel the figure is now €6 (up from €3); those in three-star accommodation will now be charged €4 (up from €2); travellers in one- and two-star hotels must now pay €3 (up from €2).

The tax, or "tassa di soggiorno" – collected at the end of a hotel stay - was introduced in 2011 to help pay for repairs and maintenance to the city. Visitors to youth hostels are exempt from the charge; those camping within the city’s boundaries are charged the lowest rate, while those in b&b accommodation pay €3.50.
Yup - does sound like it.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
In most cases- doesn't the hotel just pay this out of pocket?

Didn't realize Rome had such a tax structure for visitors

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.